Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:34:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 55483 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #60 on July 24, 2019, 09:55:42 pm by Dare to dream! »
It's pathetic really considering what he has done for us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 24, 2019, 10:21:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
It’s pathetic really because as a club we are finding difficult to replace quality players from last season. Yet it will be easy to sign another striker who will score 20 plus goals for us this season.

End of last season we were going to be stronger this season. We were going to build on our success that’s what Grant McCann said. He’s left the club because he said he was ambitious. John Marquis is ambitious and wants to play Championship football he may succeed he may fail but he wants to take that chance.

At the moment we do not have a strong squad we haven’t as yet built on our success we had last season Darren may get the players we need. In the mean time why do supporters take out their frustrations on not being able to score on John Marquis when we do not have another player in our present squad that looks like scoring or providing the goals we will need.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on July 24, 2019, 10:23:41 pm by drfchound »
It’s pathetic really because as a club we are finding difficult to replace quality players from last season. Yet it will be easy to sign another striker who will score 20 plus goals for us this season.

End of last season we were going to be stronger this season. We were going to build on our success that’s what Grant McCann said. He’s left the club because he said he was ambitious. John Marquis is ambitious and wants to play Championship football he may succeed he may fail but he wants to take that chance.

At the moment we do not have a strong squad we haven’t as yet built on our success we had last season Darren may get the players we need. In the mean time why do supporters take out their frustrations on not being able to score on John Marquis when we do not have another player in our present squad that looks like scoring or providing the goals we will need.

“We haven’t as yet built on the success we had last season”.

Quite difficult to do as the season hasn’t started yet.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 24, 2019, 10:31:57 pm by steve@dcfd »

“We haven’t as yet built on the success we had last season”.

Quite difficult to do as the season hasn’t started yet.
I appreciate that but building blocks to that success apart from bringing in a manager and a player on loan from Arsenal we have as yet not started.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 24, 2019, 10:35:05 pm by the vicar »
If we have to sell to buy it surely the cue for the current owners to do one I’m afraid enough is enough

We don’t have to buy if we don’t sell him

COYR
yes we do 1 strike at the club is poor enough but who is going to take him if he is going to play like he does not want to be here

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on July 24, 2019, 10:39:24 pm by dickos1 »
This time last season the starting 11 was also looking fragile and then we added Wilks, Kane, Crawford and sadlier.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 24, 2019, 10:44:45 pm by drfchound »
This time last season the starting 11 was also looking fragile and then we added Wilks, Kane, Crawford and sadlier.

Crawford signed on 10th July.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on July 24, 2019, 10:47:28 pm by dickos1 »
Similar time to sheaf signing then, don’t recall many other signings last summer until the last minute

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on July 24, 2019, 11:01:43 pm by drfchound »
Yes but Crawford signing was two weeks BEFORE this time last summer.

Also, Saddlier didn’t join us until December.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on July 24, 2019, 11:06:09 pm by dickos1 »
I know all this,
My point being before the season started last season we weren’t much better off than we are now.
At this point we had no sadlier, no Wilks and no Kane,
Yet we had an outstanding season really,

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 24, 2019, 11:08:08 pm by Retdon1 »
I know all this,
My point being before the season started last season we weren’t much better off than we are now.

Wilkes signed on the 11th of July

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 24, 2019, 11:12:16 pm by drfchound »
I know all this,

Agreed that Wilkes and Kane were outstanding signings.
It was not accurate though to suggest that Crawford was signed so close to the start of the season as those two.
Hopefully we will get at least one more loan signing as good before we kick off against Gillingham.

As you have previously said, we do need other quality players before then too.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on July 24, 2019, 11:15:37 pm by dickos1 »
We do, we definitely do.
I just think we are maybe forgetting we’ve already signed 4 players that could be in our starting 11.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 24, 2019, 11:16:04 pm by Retdon1 »
Yes we do need to utilise the loan market well this summer but surly we have plenty of the budget left to make permanent signings too, not heard anything to suggest this though

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 24, 2019, 11:51:08 pm by steve@dcfd »
Apart from Young first year professionals since DF left we have signed
Crawford, Sadlier, Halliday, James and Gomez permanently. So to sign quality permanent player or players I don’t see that happening unless we sell John or Ben.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 25, 2019, 12:00:13 am by no eyed deer »
Are we waiting to sell before we buy?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 25, 2019, 07:51:58 am by NickDRFC »
I know all this,

Agreed that Wilkes and Kane were outstanding signings.
It was not accurate though to suggest that Crawford was signed so close to the start of the season as those two.
Hopefully we will get at least one more loan signing as good before we kick off against Gillingham.

As you have previously said, we do need other quality players before then too.

Wilks signed on the 11th July.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on July 25, 2019, 08:45:56 am by dickos1 »
We do need a couple of additions and then I think we will look pretty strong

Lawlor

Halliday.       Anderson. Wright.    James

Whiteman    Sheaf

Crawford.    Copps.   Sadlier.

Marquis.

I think it’s the 3 behind marquis where we could do with strengthening or providing other options, although that the area Blair would play for me too.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on July 25, 2019, 09:03:19 am by IDM »
Are we waiting to sell before we buy?

No, not if you believe what GB was quoted in the DFP website the other day..

You probably don’t..

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 25, 2019, 09:22:51 am by Chris Black come back »

Lawlor

Whiteman    Sheaf

Marquis.

I think it’s the 3 behind marquis where we could do with strengthening or providing other options, although that the area Blair would play for me too.

Agree on that. Crawford still suspect with consistency and not much pace behind Marquis - but if Lawlor can up his game that is a very solid back seven definitely.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on July 25, 2019, 09:24:00 am by Retdon1 »

Lawlor

Whiteman    Sheaf

Marquis.

Agree on that. Crawford still suspect with consistency and not much pace behind Marquis - but if Lawlor can up his game that is a very solid back seven definitely.

Crawford would be back up for the 2 holding midfielders for me. No way he can play wide left

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on July 25, 2019, 09:26:54 am by Chris Black come back »
You are right but he hasn’t really established himself anywhere yet due to his consistency issues. Feel we still have to see the real Ali Crawford.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on July 25, 2019, 09:39:16 am by Retdon1 »
You are right but he hasn’t really established himself anywhere yet due to his consistency issues. Feel we still have to see the real Ali Crawford.

Yep I agree that there is still more to come from Crawford. I was slightly disappointed with him last season if I’m honest. I do think he stepped up though when whiteman and Kane were out. Hopefully he kicks on this season

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 25, 2019, 09:46:39 am by bpoolrover »

Lawlor

Whiteman    Sheaf

Marquis.

problem with that team is there is distinct lack of pace

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 25, 2019, 10:04:23 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sadlier is not exactly slow once he gets on his bike but as you say, and as DM has inferred, Crawford and Copps maybe the weak links in providing sufficient pace, power and goals. Yes, they would probably chip in, as could May but the system is dependent on the three getting up to and beyond the front man and be a threat in and around the box. Blair may provide more pace than Crawford. Copps has the guile, skill and experience but none are prolific enough as it stands.

Whiteman could do a good job in the three but that leaves a hole in the two behind.

In reality, it's someone who can pick up where Wilkes left off and then some depth in key areas for injuries and suspensions.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on July 25, 2019, 12:01:07 pm by selby »
  Even last night in the friendly, John Marquis dropped back into midfield and played two exquisite cross field 50 yard balls to the player on the far wing. We had players in midfield( Blair and Gomez) who would not have thought of playing that ball, and I am unsure they are capable of doing so.
   To give any front player we might have a chance of success , we are desperate for players with more flair and creativity and look to pass forward, than I think those two can provide.
  My personal opinion of course, others may disagree.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:03:14 pm by selby »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 25, 2019, 12:08:23 pm by Retdon1 »
Matty Blair is a useful utility player who can cover 2 or 3 positions. He isn’t technically good enough on the ball to play centrally in midfield

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on July 25, 2019, 12:16:32 pm by RoversAlias »

Lawlor

Whiteman    Sheaf

Marquis.

I'd start Blair ahead of Crawford, otherwise agree with your line-up. Blair can play attacking midfield and is suited to wide areas, whereas Crawford must be a player for the central two, he won't be effective in the attacking trio.

We need a new signing there anyway, and support for Marquis up front. Probably another #10 option in the mould of Rowe plus cover at the back.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 25, 2019, 12:30:46 pm by dickos1 »

Lawlor

Whiteman    Sheaf

Marquis.

Crawford would be back up for the 2 holding midfielders for me. No way he can play wide left

Who’s suggesting he should play wide left?

His best position is amongst the three attacking midfielders, these interchange and cover everywhere on the pitch.

I’ve even put him on the right not the left, unless you think marquis is our goalie and lawlor our striker 🙄

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 25, 2019, 12:38:34 pm by Retdon1 »

Lawlor

Whiteman    Sheaf

Marquis.

Who’s suggesting he should play wide left?

His best position is amongst the three attacking midfielders, these interchange and cover everywhere on the pitch.

I’ve even put him on the right not the left, unless you think marquis is our goalie and lawlor our striker 🙄

Sorry I ment wide right.. I’ll disagree with you though that his best position is in the front 3 attackers behind marquis. In my opinion he would be better suited to playing in the central 2 midfields.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012