Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:43:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remind me again why we left the EU  (Read 32457 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Remind me again why we left the EU
« Reply #210 on March 26, 2021, 09:47:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
MM, we are all leavers. There are no Remainers, only Remoaners.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #211 on March 26, 2021, 10:04:08 am by SydneyRover »
or the 3 wise monkeys

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #212 on March 26, 2021, 10:16:11 am by Axholme Lion »
The country needs to move on. Which ever we you or i voted makes no difference in dealing with the here and now.
I wonder if the staunch remainers, those who still delude themselves by thinking the referndum was a fix, as they love the EU so much are happy to wait their turn in the EU vaccine queue (sponsored by Billy Smarts)?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #213 on March 26, 2021, 10:22:03 am by idler »
MM, we are all leavers. There are no Remainers, only Remoaners.
By the same token BB we were all remainers in 1974 but that didn't stop certain people and factions working to overturn that result for over 40 years.
You must expect a similar response when this vote was a much closer result than the previous one which was eventually reversed.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #214 on March 26, 2021, 10:25:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
Idler, it is totally democratic to fight on for a cause that you firmly believe in, but how can democracy work if after every vote the losers claim it is their democratic right to overrule it and demand a re-vote?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #215 on March 26, 2021, 10:36:52 am by BillyStubbsTears »
You are fighting an old battle BB. The argument about the second vote ended nearly 18 months ago. You are the only one bringing that up now.

We have all accepted that we left the EU. We are now dealing with the consequences. Some people seem to prefer not to hear about them, but they are happening nonetheless.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #216 on March 26, 2021, 10:44:30 am by SydneyRover »
''Brexit: UK lost 'significant' access to EU policing data under deal, report warns''

this is pretty bad for the law n' order party?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56529359

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #217 on March 26, 2021, 10:45:53 am by Bentley Bullet »
You are fighting an old battle BB. The argument about the second vote ended nearly 18 months ago. You are the only one bringing that up now.

We have all accepted that we left the EU. We are now dealing with the consequences. Some people seem to prefer not to hear about them, but they are happening nonetheless.
I'm fighting an old battle!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

https://youtu.be/9w1y-kMPNcM

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #218 on March 26, 2021, 10:47:23 am by SydneyRover »
whatever the link is I suppose it's all you have

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #219 on March 26, 2021, 11:37:22 am by idler »
Idler, it is totally democratic to fight on for a cause that you firmly believe in, but how can democracy work if after every vote the losers claim it is their democratic right to overrule it and demand a re-vote?
[/quote
Sorry BB out shopping. Forage stated that he would fight on if he lost a close vote. That must encourage losers to take the same view.
I can accept losing a vote although I did reluctantly vote leave in my postal vote. I was very much 50/50 at the time and probably would have just voted stay if voting on the day.
What I can’t accept is the abject failure of anyone in government to make a coherent argument of why we are now better off out whilst getting rid of any benefits of the SM or CU.
I never for one minute thought that we would crash out as incompetently as we did and I wouldn’t have voted for this shambles.
It’s like going into hospital with a big toe problem and then coming round later to find that this was cured by them amputating your whole leg.
Back to the shopping now.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on March 26, 2021, 01:27:15 pm by belton rover »
Okay, I’ll just get on with things then.

Get on with what exactly belton?

Like lots of Brexiters you're full of sound-bites, but no substance or direction.  So, tell us, what are you going to 'get on with' that will deliver the promises of the leave campaigns? And how are you going to deliver those promises?  Let's make it easy and start with the "there'll be no downsides to leaving the EU, only a considerable upside" one.

I never made you any promises.

I’ve never said there are/will be no downsides. I’ve never said there will be considerable upsides.

Your confusing me with someone else. That is the first thing you need to understand and overcome: a’Brexiter’ isn’t a political party or a single entity.

I didn't say you did belton, I said the Leave Campaigns did. You must remember, those promises you clearly must have believed or you wouldn't have voted leave. And you must still believe those promises as you're not calling them out as lies!

So, if you believed them then, and you believe them now, you must have some understanding of how they could be delivered, (us remainers pointed out at the time either how they couldn't,  [no disruption, NI/Republic border etc], or that they already could while being a member of the EU, [control of our borders, sovereignty etc], otherwise how could you have voted for them? How could you still support them as you do by saying get on with it?

Again then, tell us, what are you going to 'get on with' that will deliver the promises of the leave campaigns? And how are you going to deliver those promises?  Let's make it easy and start with the "there'll be no downsides to leaving the EU, only a considerable upside".
Apologies, Not. I mis read.

However, you don’t appear to have listened to a single word from me about my decision to vote, but I’ll try again. I was appalled by the behaviour of both the remain and leave campaigns. If remain had done anything like a competent job, I believe I would have voted to remain. Leave lied, about many things. I have never said any different. Remain just told everyone not to vote leave. It was incompetence beyond belief. I am no more or less responsible than you for dealing with what happens next, while ever we are both living in Britain.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #221 on March 26, 2021, 01:34:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
[/quote
Sorry BB out shopping. Forage stated that he would fight on if he lost a close vote. That must encourage losers to take the same view.
I can accept losing a vote although I did reluctantly vote leave in my postal vote. I was very much 50/50 at the time and probably would have just voted stay if voting on the day.
What I can’t accept is the abject failure of anyone in government to make a coherent argument of why we are now better off out whilst getting rid of any benefits of the SM or CU.
I never for one minute thought that we would crash out as incompetently as we did and I wouldn’t have voted for this shambles.
It’s like going into hospital with a big toe problem and then coming round later to find that this was cured by them amputating your whole leg.
Back to the shopping now.

Farage stated his intent to fight on against EU membership had he lost, but if he had lost, the default position of the UK being members of the EU would not have changed. Things would have carried on as normal, meaning the remain voters would have democratically got their wish instantly.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on March 26, 2021, 05:50:05 pm by wilts rover »
Again Wilts, regretting it shouldn’t mean not accepting it or refusing to be a part of what could be a promising new era.
That attitude is selfish and childish.

The word 'could' doing a lot of work in that sentence Belton, 'could' be a lot of other things other than a promising new era. Which is exactly why people should not be silenced in debating it.

Of course if you feel anyone is doing that in a selfish and childish manner then you are of course entirely within your right to point that out. Just as you would to someone gloating over the result and refusing to move on in a selfish and childish manner...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #223 on March 26, 2021, 06:40:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
That’s all fair enough, but that doesn’t mean we can’t move on either. Too many people wallowing in self pity.

I saw a yougov poll today which showed more people regret leaving the EU than supported it. I think you may be waiting quite a while.
Where was that poll from, Wilts, and what date? I have seen a YouGov poll that says different, but it's linked in the Daily Express so not allowed as evidence on this forum.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on March 26, 2021, 09:39:59 pm by belton rover »
Again Wilts, regretting it shouldn’t mean not accepting it or refusing to be a part of what could be a promising new era.
That attitude is selfish and childish.

The word 'could' doing a lot of work in that sentence Belton, 'could' be a lot of other things other than a promising new era. Which is exactly why people should not be silenced in debating it.

Of course if you feel anyone is doing that in a selfish and childish manner then you are of course entirely within your right to point that out. Just as you would to someone gloating over the result and refusing to move on in a selfish and childish manner...
You what, Wilts?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on March 27, 2021, 07:56:50 am by wilts rover »
That’s all fair enough, but that doesn’t mean we can’t move on either. Too many people wallowing in self pity.

I saw a yougov poll today which showed more people regret leaving the EU than supported it. I think you may be waiting quite a while.
Where was that poll from, Wilts, and what date? I have seen a YouGov poll that says different, but it's linked in the Daily Express so not allowed as evidence on this forum.

Yougov 10th March BB - you can find it here:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1375130362595012608

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #226 on March 27, 2021, 09:39:46 am by Bentley Bullet »
I can't find the poll you're referring to. All I can find is the bit that says we now have the highest % of voters since April to say that we were right to leave.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on March 27, 2021, 11:00:03 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Yougov 10th March BB - you can find it here:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1375130362595012608

Worth noting there are still a proportion who don't know, so actually less than 50% of those polled stated that. This a problem with polls such as that.
Some other interesting ones;

View of the EU (more unfavourable than favourable)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/03/22/e0986/1

Also another that shows net the handling of brexit by the government is dealt to be bad by a higher proportion than good (48 Vs 41)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #228 on March 27, 2021, 12:50:56 pm by wilts rover »
I can't find the poll you're referring to. All I can find is the bit that says we now have the highest % of voters since April to say that we were right to leave.

Well if you can't find the results of a poll that appears when you click a link, then I'm afraid I can't help you.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #229 on March 27, 2021, 01:41:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Well if you can't find the results of a poll that appears when you click a link, then I'm afraid I can't help you.

Well, I clicked on the link and I couldn't find it! Maybe it's been removed because its not true?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on March 29, 2021, 02:15:21 am by SydneyRover »
Nothing to grin at aye? these stories are real and they are from business people. 'Someone said the other day' ............. well they were not wrong there.

''Brexit: UK cheese firm boss in despair over minister's export advice
Co-founder of Cheshire Cheese Company told by environment minister to look at US and Canada markets rather than EU''

''''Spurrell has been been left with a £250,000 hole in his export trade with Europe but said Prentis told him in a meeting on Tuesday there was nothing she could do to ease the barriers because the extra paperwork, including health certificates for each consignment of cheese, were mandatory under EU rules.

Sales of his £25 to £30 pack of cheeses to individuals were growing and he had planned a £1m warehouse in Macclesfield to fulfil orders.

But under the new rules each parcel needs to be accompanied by a health certificate costing £180, making low-value sales unviable''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/27/brexit-uk-cheese-firm-boss-in-despair-over-ministers-export-advice

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #231 on March 29, 2021, 05:52:04 pm by selby »
  Novavax vaccine is going to be manufactured in the North East of England, The company reluctant to sign contracts with the EU due to their dealings in contract talks with other Bio companies. Another high tech company situated in the UK.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on March 29, 2021, 06:28:08 pm by ravenrover »
And a plant in Barnard Castle, oh the irony!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #233 on March 29, 2021, 06:48:31 pm by Filo »
  Novavax vaccine is going to be manufactured in the North East of England, The company reluctant to sign contracts with the EU due to their dealings in contract talks with other Bio companies. Another high tech company situated in the UK.

Are Spain and Portugal not in the EU anymore?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on March 29, 2021, 07:10:42 pm by scawsby steve »
My take on this is that throughout most of the pandemic, Johnson and his government have performed like a set of incompetent, blundering, embarrassing clowns.

Now, however, we're all getting vaccinated, whereas most of the poor souls in Europe aren't, because the EU's performance with the Astra Zeneca vaccine has been such as to make them look like a set of incompetent, blundering, embarrassing clowns.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #235 on March 29, 2021, 07:34:18 pm by Filo »
My take on this is that throughout most of the pandemic, Johnson and his government have performed like a set of incompetent, blundering, embarrassing clowns.

Now, however, we're all getting vaccinated, whereas most of the poor souls in Europe aren't, because the EU's performance with the Astra Zeneca vaccine has been such as to make them look like a set of incompetent, blundering, embarrassing clowns.

The bright spot in a shit show, the Vaccination programme has and is a massive success, thanks to leaving the roll out to organisations that know what they are doing, the NHS, instead of getting a party donor to do it and making a few quid on the side

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #236 on March 29, 2021, 09:06:59 pm by selby »
  That's because the Tory Party are there to protect and fund the NHS Filo.  The funding methods set up the last time Labour were the custodians with their mates has gone a long way to nearly bankrupting some health authorities.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:17:01 pm by selby »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #237 on March 29, 2021, 10:16:01 pm by SydneyRover »
wouldn't have a bit of spare proof would you guvnor?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #238 on March 29, 2021, 10:32:22 pm by SydneyRover »
And of course with elections in the offing......... vaccines from Teeside will be very welcome so will a new hospital in Donny and 65,000 new homes in Wales, as long as they are not the same as the 200,000 thousand promised by the tories in 2015 ................... not a single one built.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on March 30, 2021, 02:39:22 pm by Axholme Lion »
And of course with elections in the offing......... vaccines from Teeside will be very welcome so will a new hospital in Donny and 65,000 new homes in Wales, as long as they are not the same as the 200,000 thousand promised by the tories in 2015 ................... not a single one built.

We don't need any new houses thank you. For every new house we increase the danger of flooding and kill off more wildlife by making them homeless.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012