Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:36:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bottom Four  (Read 2874 times)

Pliskin

• Forum Member
Bottom Four
« on November 25, 2023, 07:30:51 pm by Pliskin »
Looking at the table, it's interesting to observe that we've taken maximum points from fixtures against the current bottom four.

If you omit our results vs the bottom four then our record makes for pretty grim reading;

Pld
W
D
L
F
A
GD
Pts
Home
Away
Overall

We really have struggled to take points regularly from anyone half decent at this level. Our away record in particular, is a shocker.

Have we actually improved enough recently to indicate a potential late playoff push? Or, is it that our recent upturn in form coincided with a favourable run of fixtures against three of the current bottom four; Sutton, Tranmere and Grimsby?

Worryingly, we've started to wobble again as the fixtures have increased in difficulty.

To me it feels like we have a long way to go before we can even think about the playoffs. We have a mixed bag of fixtures coming up - very winnable home games but tough away games. Over the next month or so we'll learn a lot about whether we're improving fast enough to actually make something of this season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Bottom Four
« Reply #1 on November 25, 2023, 07:34:38 pm by NickDRFC »
By and large we’ll win the home games and lose the away games. Look very good at times which will make people start mentally spending their winnings from a top half finish and suggesting we can make a play off push whilst floating around 15th-18th. Unless something dramatic changes I can’t see us pushing much further up the table.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 25, 2023, 07:58:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
This side is a real enigma. 

First, this side is obviously so much better than last season. Better in structure, better in energy, better in entertainment, better mentally, better physically.

Second, this side is currently 8 points worse off than at same point in League Two last season. 18 games and 20 points tonight. 18 games and 28 points last season.

Go figure.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 25, 2023, 09:37:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

First, this side is obviously so much better than last season. Better in structure, better in energy, better in entertainment, better mentally, better physically.

Second, this side is currently 8 points worse off than at same point in League Two last season. 18 games and 20 points tonight. 18 games and 28 points last season.

Go figure.

Thing is, this side is patently NOT so much better than last season.

After 18 games last season, we had scored 23 and conceded 22.

After 18 games this season we have scored 22 and conceded 30.

We flatter to deceive. And we are, let's be frank, f**king awful at the back.

I was expecting Crewe's winner all the way through the last half hour. It was inevitable that they'd have a moment where they went at us and put in a routine cross and our defence would dissolve.

It happens every single away match. And it DIDN'T happen last year, until the squad disintegrated through injuries.

I cannot believe that McCann is looking at this squad and thinking, "Hmm. We need a goalscorer as a first priority".

What we need is a defence that has a tiny semblance of resilience.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 25, 2023, 09:42:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just to emphasise how shocking our defence is this season.

Last season we conceded 65 goals and it was generally accepted that our defence was really not very good.

So far this season, we are shipping goals at a rate that would see us concede 76 over the full season.

Parting thought: Maybe Ro-Shaun Williams is actually a better defender than any we currently have...

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 25, 2023, 09:42:22 pm by Spilsby Red »
It happens for every other league 2 side to

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 25, 2023, 09:56:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It happens for every other league 2 side to

Not as often as it happens to us.

And clearly it is happening to us way more often than it did last season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 25, 2023, 10:05:44 pm by dickos1 »

Go figure.

I was expecting Crewe's winner all the way through the last half hour. It was inevitable that they'd have a moment where they went at us and put in a routine cross and our defence would dissolve.

It happens every single away match. And it DIDN'T happen last year, until the squad disintegrated through injuries.

I cannot believe that McCann is looking at this squad and thinking, "Hmm. We need a goalscorer as a first priority".

If you don’t think this is better than last season then you need assistance

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 25, 2023, 10:16:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Go figure.

I think we look easier on the eye. We move the ball around nicely. But it's a fact (not my opinion) that we are far less robust at the back than we were in the first third of last season.

We concede 2 or more every other game. That is absolutely not a feature of a good team, and it's far worse than last season.

If you can't see that, you've no right having a pop at other people.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 10:22:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 25, 2023, 10:26:45 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
People don’t go to watch a game for facts and stats. This team is loads better than the nonsense last year so your numbers can say what they like it just proves there’s more to the game than stats. And thank god for that.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 25, 2023, 10:28:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I have to admit, as positive as I try to be I wish we could score as easily at our opponent's end as our opponents seem to do at our end.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 25, 2023, 10:44:40 pm by monkeytennis »
We play more attractive looking football and we don’t have someone’s crazy ‘process’ in the back of our minds every time it starts going wrong but the numbers don’t lie, we have not improved. It’s really very worrying.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 25, 2023, 10:53:40 pm by Pliskin »
I think I'd agree with the gist of what BST has said.

Superficially it very much appears like we are watching a better team than last season, at least in the middle of the park. Unlike last season we have spells in games where we look the superior side and play some good stuff.

But in terms of the actual nitty-gritty of what makes a good team, i.e. creating plenty in attack and not giving much away in defence, I don't think we've seen anywhere near enough.

And this is in the context of Terry Bramall significantly increasing the budget and allowing the manager to bring 12 new players in.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 25, 2023, 10:59:12 pm by bpoolrover »
I see this season as a re build,get rid of the ones that were here last few seasons and build on that

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 25, 2023, 10:59:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
People don’t go to watch a game for facts and stats. This team is loads better than the nonsense last year so your numbers can say what they like it just proves there’s more to the game than stats. And thank god for that.

And yet, at the end of it all, all that really matters is how many we score and how many they score, no?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 25, 2023, 11:17:17 pm by Colin C No.3 »

And yet, at the end of it all, all that really matters is how many we score and how many they score, no?

Any chance you can sound a little more patronising?

Guess not, but thanks for your input.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 25, 2023, 11:23:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Any chance you can sound a little more patronising?

Guess not, but thanks for your input.

He's not wrong though, is he? People moan about stats but they're what point to where we need to improve. I thought we all wanted a successful team?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 25, 2023, 11:29:05 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Reyt let’s not bother watching the game and just wait for the final score to pop up then if that’s all that matters. Don’t get the need to make everything a binary yes or no it’s only on the internet where people think like that.

For what it’s worth I’m not sure it is all that matters anyway. At least not to us fans given the amount of times I’ve been proud of us despite losing. Also when we’ve been terrible the line is always we can take losing so long as we have a go and the effort is right.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 25, 2023, 11:36:15 pm by Barmby Rover »
I have been discussing this with my mate during the game, both of us had the feeling we were going to concede. We can't keep a clean sheet. In January GM is looking for another striker, we do not need another striker, we need a really good quality centre half in the Matt Mills mould. It isn't until we can defend that we will be able to stand up to teams like Crewe, that figure in the centre of defence is vital, and we can't wait until Bobby Faulkner grows up.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 25, 2023, 11:37:53 pm by Prez »

Go figure.

Completely agree on this. The strikers we have are doing their job.

The defence are not.

His priority is 2 no nonsense centre half’s.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 25, 2023, 11:46:04 pm by Pancho Regan »

Go figure.

After this opening sentence you went droning on with stats as you always do, but on reading this first sentence I really couldn’t be bothered to read anything else.
If that is your opinion, your credibility is zero.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 25, 2023, 11:48:01 pm by Pancho Regan »

Go figure.

I think we look easier on the eye. We move the ball around nicely. But it's a fact (not my opinion) that we are far less robust at the back than we were in the first third of last season.

We concede 2 or more every other game. That is absolutely not a feature of a good team, and it's far worse than last season.

And if you can’t see that this team is better than last season’s, then you really have no right to be heard.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 25, 2023, 11:49:21 pm by Pliskin »

Go figure.

Completely agree on this. The strikers we have are doing their job.

The defence are not.

His priority is 2 no nonsense centre half’s.

For me, a top quality central defender would be the top priority in the transfer market.

But considering that only four teams have scored fewer goals than we have, I don't think it's crazy to think we desperately need more firepower in attack.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 26, 2023, 12:08:54 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Go figure.

And if you can’t see that this team is better than last season’s, then you really have no right to be heard.

Like I say, it's easy on the eye. I think that's deceiving people.

Defensively, it's about the worst we've had in 25 years. Much worse than last season. I find it fascinating how many people take offense at that being pointed out.

It's not about stats for the sake of stats.

But after a while, the stats become so obvious, you can't ignore them.

Like the OP says, we've gained EIGHT points from 14 games against teams outside the current bottom 4.

In half the games this season, we've conceded 2 or more goals.

You can insist all you like that we are a good team, but those facts scream out that we are not.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 12:12:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 26, 2023, 04:00:38 am by Chris Black come back »

Go figure.

While I agree with the tenor, I am not sure you read the message properly. I have five criteria for how this side is better than last season. It is hard to argue the opposite on those critters. As I mentioned also in that message, we are 8 points worse off than last season. Both points are true.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 26, 2023, 04:23:31 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We badly need a proper central defensive partnership and a good ball winner in the midfield. The team as a whole is not concentrating defensively, they need to work as a team, not as individuals.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 26, 2023, 07:30:30 am by NickDRFC »
I think something that gets lost with comparisons to last year is the difference between McSheffrey’s side & Schofield’s side. Schofield’s side, apart from the occasional game, was pretty terrible both in attack and defence. McSheffrey’s side, although equally toothless in attack, was pretty organised and solid at the back, so I think comparisons between that defence and this one are entirely reasonable, and this side is coming up short.

Are we better going forward? Unquestionably. Am I happier with McCann in charge? Definitely. Should he be doing a better job in organising a defence having signed 5 new defenders and a keeper? In my opinion, yes. It’s just not good enough.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 26, 2023, 07:34:36 am by CJK »
All this talk of improving the defence based around needing new centre halves; a solid defence is built on having a good goalkeeper. I think a goalkeeper is still the main requirement when it comes to the defence. I was disappointed we didn't recruit better in the summer.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 26, 2023, 07:47:37 am by Chris Black come back »
It’s also notable that most of our away defeats including against very good home sides like Wrexham, Crewe and Stockport (three sides with best home records in League Two) have all been by a single goal. These are often close games in performance or score or like yesterday, both.

We are getting better, we are competitive, but we do have a soft as shit defence.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 26, 2023, 08:09:01 am by GazLaz »
BST, we are better than last season. Thats indisputable.

No nonsense centre half needed?? What are Anderson and Wood? Wood was fine at Championship level last season. Faulkner is ok as well. The winner yesterday came from a midfield runner, he ghosted past about 4 players and nobody tracked him. We need some solidity in midfield. Not more defenders.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012