Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:48:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Charlton Athletic playoff game  (Read 14419 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Charlton Athletic playoff game
« Reply #60 on May 08, 2019, 11:05:35 am by selby »
I have just been on the Charlton site and the Referee's for the two games have been appointed. They are
     Oli Langfield at Doncaster a 107 yellows and 6 reds over the season and refereed Charlton 1 v Gillingham2 on new years day
   Gavin Ward at Charlton who refereed our 2-0 defeat at Charlton this season in the league fixture, also their 3-1 victory over Luton at Charlton just three weeks ago.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on May 08, 2019, 11:25:20 am by selby »
  You have to go back to the Plymouth game a couple of seasons ago for Langfield to make his mark on us. It was him who sent Coppinger off.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 08, 2019, 12:54:07 pm by Campsall rover »
  You have to go back to the Plymouth game a couple of seasons ago for Langfield to make his mark on us. It was him who sent Coppinger off.
He owes us one then doesn’t he 😀

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on May 08, 2019, 05:10:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting to look at Charlton's average attendances this year. Ours have been a little disappointing, but they have only averaged 3.5k or so more than us. I though they were a much bigger club than that.

On the topic of attendances, it never ceases to amaze me how good ours are in England. Donny this year have had the 56th highest average in England, at 8098. Germany is the only country who have attendances down the league's that come anywhere close to those in England. But an average of 8098 would have ranked us 43rd there. And their 56th best average was Rot-Weiß Erfurt with less than half our figure.

In Italy we'd be ranked 28th. Their 56th ranked club was Monza with 2079.

In France we'd be 26th on the list. Their 56th ranked side is L'Entente with an average of 570.

In Spain we'd be 35th. The 56th ranked side was Burgos with 2567.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on May 08, 2019, 05:30:07 pm by selby »
 Billy, they have had an organised boycott this season against the foreign owner.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 08, 2019, 05:33:33 pm by scawsby steve »
Billy, they have had an organised boycott this season against the foreign owner.

Duchatelet; they detest him.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 08, 2019, 09:44:25 pm by normal rules »
They have shifted nearly 20 k for their home leg.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on May 09, 2019, 07:15:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think some are getting carried away in their expectations of the attendance and atmosphere of the first leg. It's unlikely to be anything like the Southend second leg or any other one off cup match.

Nothing will be decided after 90 minutes. It's likely to be a tense affair.

What I remember of the home leg v Chester, it was a crap game. The ball was like a bar of soap, slipping out of possession very quickly. The game seemed to be slipping away from us until Tristam Whitman scored the last minute equaliser which prompted celebrations more in relief.

First leg away at Southend was again a 'keep it tight' sort of match in which we came out a worthy 0-0 which set it up for the second leg.

If Sunday was the second leg when there's sure to be an outcome then the atmosphere is likely to be more charged and more likely to be a full house.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 09, 2019, 07:25:15 am by Donnywolf »
.... and our Second Leg tickets sales may depend on how the Tie is "poised"

If people feel we are out of it they may stick with Sky - and if they think we have a great chance they may want to go - though as we have seen in the last 2 nights anything DOES happen

The important thing is if we win through the main event is still coming - the Final itself

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on May 09, 2019, 07:33:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think many have anticipated the second leg as it looks like we're close to selling out our allocation. If there are those waiting until after the first leg, they might be disappointed.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 09, 2019, 07:37:19 am by Donnywolf »
Looked a very poor turn out so far unless you have some better intel ?

Thought they gave us 3135 and we have sold close to 600 ? I was though waiting for the 3 blocks on sale now to sell out to see if more go on sale afterwards - as I thought these were the first to go on sale

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on May 09, 2019, 07:52:42 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I maybe wrong but just took a glance at the remaining tickets on the website and it looked like only about 500 left. Not sure what tha allocation was like.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on May 09, 2019, 08:23:21 am by Donnywolf »
Yes - we were allocated 3135

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/charlton-athletic-a-ticket-information/

Then I was watching from the start and have only seen these 3 Blocks being sold SSA SSB and SSC and they still have not sold out. In fact still very very close to 600 total sales in the 3 Blocks with 420 seats left across the 3 Blocks

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on May 09, 2019, 05:18:45 pm by selby »
  Wolfie, bring the celebrations on Sunday mate, we will need them.

Gelan Swift

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 09, 2019, 06:36:04 pm by Gelan Swift »
If you don't fill the Jimmy Seed stand (3,000) they will introduce a no-mans-land at the centre and sell 1,000 to home fans who will sing non stop all game...down to you to change that.

25,000 expected final gate at The Valley.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 10, 2019, 09:02:52 am by selby »
  Well Gelan, the best way we can stop you singing is down to our players on the pitch.
  The away leg tickets I would imagine will take off or still be a damp squib depending on the result on Sunday.
  And as far as travel is concerned we have drawn the short straw, a long journey, getting back in the early hours, and terrible traffic problems on the way there, and people travelling by train having to deal possibly with extra time and penalties plus if like last night a long time between the end of the game and the shoot out for TV adverts.
  Add the fact that Charlton are one of the most unwelcoming places in this division, no pubs welcoming away fans near the ground, and in the ground just an outside area with a portacabin hatch serving something resembling beer at London prices.
  Needless to say I will be there.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
If you don't fill the Jimmy Seed stand (3,000) they will introduce a no-mans-land at the centre and sell 1,000 to home fans who will sing non stop all game...down to you to change that.

Interesting that the protests stop when you're playing well?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 10, 2019, 10:19:04 am by pib »

Got a Leeds-y tone to this hasn't it?

Gelan Swift

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 10, 2019, 11:03:55 am by Gelan Swift »

Interesting that the protests stop when you're playing well?

Yes, pathetic isn't it...owner this, owner that...it's all his fault etc.  Without Duchatelet we'd be in administration yet thousands of fans know beyond a shadow of doubt that any new owner will be better...these are grown men FFS! 

Here's an example:  "I hate RD, he's robbed me of seeing my friends on matchdays...I hope he dies"  Says 61 year old Company director.

I love my club but some of our fans really are dilussional.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on May 10, 2019, 12:57:38 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes - we were allocated 3135

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/charlton-athletic-a-ticket-information/

Then I was watching from the start and have only seen these 3 Blocks being sold SSA SSB and SSC and they still have not sold out. In fact still very very close to 600 total sales in the 3 Blocks with 420 seats left across the 3 Blocks

Looking at those three blocks only bottom rows left so I suspect people are waiting.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 11, 2019, 09:45:56 am by selby »
  I hope we can get off to a fast start tomorrow, the approach of Charlton is anyones guess.
  Do they get at us and try and dominate from the start, or will they sit back, try and control the game and hit us on the break.
  In the home league fixture they came out of the blocks firing, and looked the better side in the first twenty minutes, as most sides do concentrating their attacks down our right full back area.
  Their wing backs join in the attacks well, and their goal keeper from dead ball and out of the hands clearances aimed nearly all his kicks especially at Charlton in the league game at our right flank, all the time trying to get behind and draw our central defenders to the flanks.
  Their weakness was that our two attackers especially Marquis got between their central defenders line, and although well beaten on the day at Charlton in the league fixture, surprisingly we looked dangerous from set pieces into the box, Anderson poking wide a good chance, and others going begging.
  Past matches mean nothing of course, but both managers will be aware of each others strengths and weaknesses, I am expecting two very hard tight games, and would not be surprised if it were decided on penalties, but will go for us to win over two legs if we take our chances.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on May 11, 2019, 10:38:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Unless there's an early goal, I can't see it being anything other than a tactical battle with both teams erring on the side of caution. I don't think it will be pretty.

I suspect both managers will be happy with a draw or 1 goal in it either way.

If we approach the game the same way as v Coventry, I'll be well happy.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on May 11, 2019, 05:32:47 pm by selby »
  I will go with that DBR, last week's performance was one of the best of the season, if we play like that, it will take a good side to beat us.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 12, 2019, 07:31:27 am by Campsall rover »
Well this is it folks.
Let’s get half the job done. It won’t be decided today though.
Expecting a tight game and will be happy with a 1 goal lead.
2 would be absolutely brilliant but a draw or even a 1 goal defeat keeps us very much in the tie.
:bscarf: :bscarf: :bscarf:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on May 12, 2019, 07:41:46 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yep. Every reason to keep calm and just treat it as another game. No point getting overexcited or feel the need to run on the pitch!

I'm sure there will be times in the match when you hear a pin drop as we get absorbed in the contest. The tension would be released with a goal even if only temporarily.

The second leg is the one to get excited about.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on May 12, 2019, 08:38:01 am by dknward2 »
Would really like to see john and Wilks embrace their wind up side today early on get few off the Charlton back 4 on some early bookings getting them worried about every challenge.

If we play as well as we can do then we can be confident of getting something from the game

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on May 12, 2019, 08:55:51 am by since-1969 »
They are away from home  along with an early kickoff this puts Charlton out of routine  . I can’t see them sitting behind the ball and just soaking  it up  so there will be goals which give us the advantage this time round. Marquis-Wilks will have their day . 2-0 to take to the Valley where were due a win .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on May 12, 2019, 09:00:20 am by selby »
  Excited, apprehensive, can't wait for the action to start.
   But the biggest emotion is I wonder, I wonder which one of our teams will turn up for the game.
   We all know how good we can be, and at the same time how error strewn, poor in front of goal, make silly mistakes at the back,we can also be.
   And I take comfort in the knowledge that the regular Charlton supporters ( it looks like especially in their home tie quite a few will be wondering what the names of their players are not having seen them before) will be wondering exactly the same things as we are.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on May 12, 2019, 09:02:29 am by IDM »
I don’t think the KO time makes any difference, if the Charlton players (and ours) aren’t up for this game then they shouldn’t be in the game..

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 12, 2019, 09:44:42 am by Campsall rover »
They will all be up for it alright but which team will handle the pressure the best on the day.
Can see either a whirlwind start or it being very cagey.
Can’t decide how both teams will want to play it to be honest.
The tactical plan will be interesting to see.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012