Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:02:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: We won but……  (Read 7957 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: We won but……
« Reply #30 on September 18, 2021, 06:21:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just to clarify, I’m pleased we won, I’m also a realist and say what I see, I’m not blinded by the result, Pontus saved us today.

Positives, Pontus looks a great keeper, just needs to work on his kicking

Galbraith looks every inch a future Man Utd player

Tiago looked a little bit sharper in his cameo

That's the spirit. Look for the things that fill your glass. Come January we might even have a full pint!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 18, 2021, 06:25:19 pm by rich1471 »
Moaning after a win. Jesus H Christ
yes because it was shit ,that's why ,A win does not mask over how poor that was

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 18, 2021, 06:26:19 pm by coventryrover »
…. we need to be better than that, given they should have had a penalty and Pontus good saves it could easily have been a defeat
  20 mins after a win and shade already thrown

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 18, 2021, 06:26:29 pm by Filo »
Just to clarify, I’m pleased we won, I’m also a realist and say what I see, I’m not blinded by the result, Pontus saved us today.

Positives, Pontus looks a great keeper, just needs to work on his kicking

Galbraith looks every inch a future Man Utd player

Tiago looked a little bit sharper in his cameo

That's the spirit. Look for the things that fill your glass. Come January we might even have a full pint!

Talking of spirits, time to get the Jim Beam out lol!

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 18, 2021, 06:32:32 pm by StocksArmy »
It was very poor so lets not get carried away. But a wins a win and we ground it out with a much needed clean sheet to go with it. I have to say I have a bit of sympathy for them with the pen regardless of decisions that consistantly go against us. Its one of the most blatant penalties ive ever seen not given. The officials just seem to get worse and worse but, hey ho swings and roundabouts and all that.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 18, 2021, 06:33:14 pm by Spud »
How did I know there would be a thread like this today?
Yes that was a game that could have gone either way, Pontus with two great saves, they could have had a penalty but then the guy was offside from the free kick swung in (was it only me that saw that?). We also had one cleared off the line, but we're far too negative to mention that aren't we?

Jesus, we've lost plenty of those kind of games, I think we deserve to crack a smile don't we?

No Spud I saw that the player who laid the ball off for the player who was fouled was offside so if the pen had been given it would have been another bad decision against us. The performance doesn’t matter, we won let’s hope it gives the players the boost they need and hopefully work on things with a smile on their faces next week

Yes Dearne, that's who I meant, the guy furthest who the free kick went to, agreed.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 18, 2021, 06:37:45 pm by andyst79 »
It struck me as a typical league 1 game. Yes we rode our luck a little but got a clean sheet and the win. It's a platform to build on, I imagine they got a rollicking at half time because we moved the ball faster in the 2nd half and probably deserved to win on 2nd half showing.

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 18, 2021, 06:45:09 pm by hstripes »
Relief is my main thought post match. I actually quite enjoyed the game - perhaps more to do with the novelty (still) of being back at the Keepmoat as much as the football on show.

Thought they looked a more confident and cohesive team (areas Rovers will improve on I'm sure) but Rovers had the better players especially in the midfield.

Those 3 midfielders are very talented young men (thought Smith was very good after some criticism on here recently) but their good play and passing interchanges were too deep to cause any damage.

Except from corners we never looked like scoring. One of those midfielders should be looking to break forward to support the front men more often and we need a heck of a lot more movement from the forwards who were awful. Vilca at least caused some problems though understandably naivety let him down. Dodoo and Hiwula were like electricity - static. Cukur, despite his unwillingness to shoot, did more in his cameo than those two.

Worst performer on the pitch though was undoubtedly the referee. Incompetent throughout. Thankfully Rovers were the main beneficiaries. That was as cast iron a penalty (and sending off) as you're ever likely to see.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 18, 2021, 06:48:35 pm by since-1969 »
You’re probably right Filo but let us just enjoy the victory for a wee while first eh?

I’m sure that Since-1969 and his little band of warriors will be here soon to remind us how shit we are, but until they do just let us enjoy the moment!
Do I need to say just how relieved we all must feel to finally get off the mark on what has to be considered as our 1st proper game now that the playing staff are nearly at 100%. Oh yes we’re disappointing but it’s about the result and not how you get it when your at the bottom of the League .  Onwards and upwards !    RTiD.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 18, 2021, 06:50:04 pm by TheFunk »
We won and we were less shit means I will enjoy my Saturday night for once.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 18, 2021, 06:54:09 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well, I thought we played well in parts. There was certainly more movement up top. Good to see Tom back. Work definitely in progress.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 18, 2021, 07:08:39 pm by colincramb »
Well, I thought we played well in parts. There was certainly more movement up top. Good to see Tom back. Work definitely in progress.

Admire your optimism, but I fail to see where we played well in any portion of that game.

I’m not daft enough to know the win was the most important thing, but as a performance it was terrible.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 18, 2021, 07:25:30 pm by LincsRover »
On the way to the match I said to my brother I’d settle for an awful, boring, scrappy one nil win and I got my wish. On to the next match now with more optimism that we can use it as a launchpad to better things. We were poor, they were poor, we won, end of! We need to improve but hopefully the confidence of a win will help us get better.
 :rtid:

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 18, 2021, 07:27:52 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
I don’t think today was as bad as some are saying, wasn’t the best performance but wasn’t awful and we got the 3 points. We had good spells and we had spells where we had to dig in and defend.

Dahlberg made some great saves and got away with the rugby tackle, Close was excellent in the deeper role and Knoyle put a few good crosses in as well as foi g what he had to do defensively. Tommy “mr consistent” Rowe who was quality again today and had that know how and experience to slow the game down late on as well as the quality that he’s proved on so many occasions.

Still plenty to work on but 3 points on the board and something to build on.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 18, 2021, 07:51:36 pm by BigH »
Well done Wellens. As Napoleon said of his generals, I want them to be lucky.

A second goal in two games. Please wrap Tommy Rowe in cotton wool. Three points. It starts from here.

Wellens will remember that first season in the Championship in 2008/09 and how impossible it seemed at the time. But he learned a lesson in perseverance and that's why I believe he has the nouse to keep us up this year.

Glad we've got Dahlberg. That bo***ck dropped at Accrington aside, he's been very good for us so far.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 18, 2021, 08:48:03 pm by drfchound »
I agree that we weren’t great today but we were better than we have been this far.
Having Dodoo and Hiwula gave us something going forward that hasn’t been there.
Galbraith is getting better by the game.
Close look more positive today than he has done.
Big Tom back but he did look a bit rusty for a while.
We didn’t really have a weak link today, they all offered something to the performance.
I have to add that I think Tiago is the slowest CF I have seen.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 18, 2021, 09:45:35 pm by selby »
  Just find a way to win, we wax lyrical when German and Argentinian sides do it, how never mattered to them, they just did what they thought they had to to win a game.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 18, 2021, 09:51:06 pm by NickDRFC »
When we lose but play well people suggest it’s not all doom and gloom and we should focus on the positives; when we win but don’t look convincing doing it surely it’s fair to assess critically what we can or should be doing better? I’m delighted we’ve won but we’ve beaten a relegation favourite at home by a single goal, it’s not unreasonable to point out any issues.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 18, 2021, 10:14:25 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
No one is saying it's a bad win or that the 3 points aren't enjoyable. It's a fair assessment the same as if we lost and had all the best chances a nailed on pen and probably red card and looked good most would be saying the loss is disappointing but there are some good signs.

We have to build from this result. The performance wasn't a level that would consistently get points for a club at this level. Really important we find goals from areas other than Rowe at left back. We also still conceded a fair amount of chances. These are the basics which Wellens is rightly focusing on listening to his interview.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 18, 2021, 11:04:03 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Quite a young side that we have, so there will be ups and downs in form over the season. To help that the experienced players we have being available on a regular basis, could be key to us doing well.
Well done on a hard fought win and clean sheet.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 18, 2021, 11:17:31 pm by danumdon »
This was the type game that we were loosing just a few weeks ago so progress has been made.

The additions up front look like they will improve as the bed in and will be good additions to the squad,

Midfield will look even better when they get fitter and pass the ball quicker forward

Injured players to come back in will give RW options

massive win for this side, will do their confidence a world of good.

Progress is being made, may look small now but all those players have potential to unleash still.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 18, 2021, 11:21:10 pm by Pancho Regan »

Admire your optimism, but I fail to see where we played well in any portion of that game.

I’m not daft enough to know the win was the most important thing, but as a performance it was terrible.

Absolute rubbish.

We had more shots on target in the second half than we’ve had in all the games this season.

This was not a terrible performance at all.
Galbraith and Smith had their best games so far for us and are starting to work together.
Same with Close - his best game so far as he broke up play and got forward more than in any previous game.
Dodoo caused them problems as did Hiwula and Vilca had his moments too.

Pontus was excellent and he earned us the 3 points. Let’s forgive him a couple of wayward kicks.
Kyle Knoyle did a great job at right back.

And Tommy Rowe - wow!
Welcome back Tommy. He is the best footballer in the club now, taking over that mantle from Copps.

Lots of positives today despite the predictable negativity on here.

So chuffed tonight.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:25:43 pm by Pancho Regan »

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 19, 2021, 06:58:39 am by colincramb »

Absolute rubbish.

We had more shots on target in the second half than we’ve had in all the games this season.

Galbraith and Smith had their best games so far for us and are starting to work together.
Same with Close - his best game so far as he broke up play and got forward more than in any previous game.

Pontus was excellent and he earned us the 3 points. Let’s forgive him a couple of wayward kicks.

And Tommy Rowe - wow!
Welcome back Tommy. He is the best footballer in the club now, taking over that mantle from Copps.

So chuffed tonight.

I suggest you watch the highlights back again and take your blinkers off. They sliced us open like a hot knife through butter on at least 3 occasions and another side with any semblance of quality would have won easily today. Fact

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 19, 2021, 07:13:29 am by Jonathan »

Absolute rubbish.

And Tommy Rowe - wow!

So chuffed tonight.

I suggest you watch the highlights back again and take your blinkers off. They sliced us open like a hot knife through butter on at least 3 occasions and another side with any semblance of quality would have won easily today. Fact

But….. we won.

Sorry.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on September 19, 2021, 07:31:23 am by colincramb »

Absolute rubbish.

And Tommy Rowe - wow!

So chuffed tonight.

But….. we won.

Sorry.

I know. But it’s a forum and I’m entitled to point out how poor we were. If you can be bothered, you’ll also notice that I’ve said the win was the most important thing today.

However play like that at Plymouth and we’ll get battered. Sorry if you disagree

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 19, 2021, 08:00:32 am by keith79 »
We struggled to beat a team that will finish 2nd bottom of the league. Great win.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 19, 2021, 08:21:37 am by Herbert Anchovy »
The point is this

We have had weeks and weeks of doom moongers, WUMS and others pointing out how shit the team is, how shit the board is, etc.. and some of them seem to be pointing it out with a great degree of satisfaction, despite their protests to the opposite. Now that we’ve actually won a game our resident killjoys cannot wait to point out that “ah we won but we are still shit!”

I know we aren’t very good this season. We all do. But when we do win let’s just enjoy it and marvel in an unspoilt weekend for a change! I certainly don’t need anyone to tell me how bad we are this season but I ask, nay plead, with those desperate to remind me of this to just show a little self control and humanity and to control your urge to put a dampener on everything…,just for a bit. Then, I promise that you can spend the rest of the week reminding me how crap the club is and how you know better because you did really well on Football Manager on your Atari back in the 90’s. Please, please let me enjoy the unfamiliar glow of a victory for a little while before you extinguish it with your cynical attempt to bring me back to earth with an almighty crash? Please???

Be happy. We won.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:26:29 am by Herbert Anchovy »

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 19, 2021, 08:32:49 am by colincramb »
The point is this

We have had weeks and weeks of doom moongers, WUMS and others pointing out how shit the team is, how shit the board is, etc.. and some of them seem to be pointing it out with a great degree of satisfaction, despite their protests to the opposite. Now that we’ve actually won a game our resident killjoys cannot wait to point out that “ah we won but we are still shit!”

I know we aren’t very good this season. We all do. But when we do win let’s just enjoy it and marvel in an unspoilt weekend for a change! I certainly don’t need anyone to tell me how bad we are this season but I ask, nay plead, with those desperate to remind me of this to just show a little self control and humanity and to control your urge to put a dampener on everything…,just for a bit. Then, I promise that you can spend the rest of the week reminding me how crap the club is and how you know better because you did really well on Football Manager on your Atari back in the 90’s. Please, please let me enjoy the unfamiliar glow of a victory for a little while before you extinguish it with your cynical attempt to bring me back to earth with an almighty crash? Please???

Be happy. We won.

It’s a forum to discuss football, and our performances. If it bothers you that much that some are analysing the performance and concluding it actually wasn’t very good, then don’t look. Get a grip ffs

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on September 19, 2021, 08:38:02 am by Filo »
The point is this

Be happy. We won.

I started this thread, I’m not one of our resident killjoys, and take issue with your assumption!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 19, 2021, 08:40:26 am by Herbert Anchovy »
The point is this

Be happy. We won.

It’s a forum to discuss football, and our performances. If it bothers you that much that some are analysing the performance and concluding it actually wasn’t very good, then don’t look. Get a grip ffs

Jesus. Ive not said that it was a vintage performance. I’ve not said that we don’t have serious problems. I’m saying that in a season like this, where victories are going to be few and far between we should at least enjoy them for what they are, before we rejoin the conveyor belt of misery for the rest of the week. It’s not that difficult for you to understand is it?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012