Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 02:52:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is this our future?  (Read 3039 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Is this our future?
« Reply #30 on December 09, 2020, 06:05:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Joking aside, about half of the UK’s catch quota is sold off to foreign boats already. It’s all well and good fighting for control of our waters, but we give up half of what we could catch already?
Unless of course there is to be a boom in the uk fishing industry again, but this would be reliant on the Europeans buying our stock from us, with tariffs imposed.
Other than the local chip shop fare or maybe tinned salmon and tuna, we are not big fish eaters are we?

Why would they do that when they can buy from their own fishermen, tariff free, and thus boosting the EU fleet profitability? Who do the UK fishing industry really foresee selling their catch to?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 09, 2020, 06:17:01 pm by danumdon »
Joking aside, about half of the UK’s catch quota is sold off to foreign boats already. It’s all well and good fighting for control of our waters, but we give up half of what we could catch already?
Unless of course there is to be a boom in the uk fishing industry again, but this would be reliant on the Europeans buying our stock from us, with tariffs imposed.
Other than the local chip shop fare or maybe tinned salmon and tuna, we are not big fish eaters are we?

The whole fishing issue is about appearance. Fishing, which accounts for 0.1% of our GDP, has been set up as the great example of how we can take control of our own things.

In the real world, as you say, we haven't got the capacity to catch the fish that the EU trawlers currently take. And if we ban them from British waters, the EU will impose tariffs which will make our exports to the EU (which is where most of our British catch goes) uneconomic.

So everyone knows that f**k all is going to change on the issue of fishing. But the Govt has to be seen to be fighting because it is symbolic of what "taking back control" means.

It's like living in some bizarre parody world.

Billy, imagine the scenario, me and you live next door to each other in our little pit village. Now you're the active type and keep a nice plot and even plant spuds in it, i'm a lazy bugger and just sit in my yard and watch the dog doing its business.

Its got to the stage where your lot luv the spuds that much that you decide to  use my unused plot to plant some more spuds reckoning that i wont mind, well i don't but i tell you what, i want something back for my consent.

Is that too much to ask?

When it gets to the stage where you're desperate for even more I'm going to have to do something about it and get things on a legal footing.

is that too much to ask? lets call it asserting ones authority, i know you would.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 09, 2020, 06:36:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
DD

Nice story. No idea whatsoever what it has to do with the economics of fishing but I'm sure it made some sense to you.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 09, 2020, 07:17:27 pm by normal rules »

Why would they do that when they can buy from their own fishermen, tariff free, and thus boosting the EU fleet profitability? Who do the UK fishing industry really foresee selling their catch to?

Uk fishing waters are very lucrative. You need to examine the geography of the waters they currently have access to compared to what they have left once they are not allowed to fish our waters .they can pretty much forget most of the North Sea, everything away of the Severn estuary and all of the Atlantic west of the uk. French and dutch will have to sail some distance to get to waters which would be any where as near as profitable. That’s costs money.
To the west of the uk our waters would stretch 200 miles into the Atlantic, all of which the french or Spanish would not be able to go anywhere near.

On the subject of shellfish,  I live near Boston in Lincs where all of the shellfish caught in the wash gets put straight on a lorry in tonne bags and goes straight to Spain.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 09, 2020, 07:21:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
NR.

But it is irrelevant how much fish you catch, if you don't have a market to sell it to.

Plus, even if our fishing industry doubled in size and still was able to sell to the EU, it would only make up 1% of what we expect to lose if we leave with No Deal.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 09, 2020, 08:20:31 pm by normal rules »
NR.

But it is irrelevant how much fish you catch, if you don't have a market to sell it to.

Plus, even if our fishing industry doubled in size and still was able to sell to the EU, it would only make up 1% of what we expect to lose if we leave with No Deal.

Totally agree. We are on the same song sheet. My op eluded to this re quotas.
And I believe your point about this being all posturing and principle is correct.
All a bit bizarre.

I wonder if the meal Boris and Ursula are enjoying tonight is a nice lump of North Sea Cod ?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 09, 2020, 08:20:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Uk fishing waters are very lucrative. You need to examine the geography of the waters they currently have access to compared to what they have left once they are not allowed to fish our waters .they can pretty much forget most of the North Sea, everything away of the Severn estuary and all of the Atlantic west of the uk. French and dutch will have to sail some distance to get to waters which would be any where as near as profitable. That’s costs money.
To the west of the uk our waters would stretch 200 miles into the Atlantic, all of which the french or Spanish would not be able to go anywhere near.

On the subject of shellfish,  I live near Boston in Lincs where all of the shellfish caught in the wash gets put straight on a lorry in tonne bags and goes straight to Spain.

They might be lucrative now but not when they get tariffs and countervailing duties slapped on them when attempting to sell them to the EU, which is basically what I said in the first place. And EU countries not being able to fish in our waters doesn't change that one bit.

Whereabouts are you? I did two years at Boston College back in the day.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 09, 2020, 08:24:29 pm by normal rules »
Fishtoft , about 3 miles out of town. I’m very familiar with the a17 and a1 for trips to the KM. although that seems a while ago.
From donny originally. Dad still lives there.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 09, 2020, 08:26:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I don't know the south side of Boston very well, I commuted to college from the north side from Mablethorpe.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 09, 2020, 08:29:44 pm by normal rules »

They might be lucrative now but not when they get tariffs and countervailing duties slapped on them when attempting to sell them to the EU, which is basically what I said in the first place. And EU countries not being able to fish in our waters doesn't change that one bit.

Whereabouts are you? I did two years at Boston College back in the day.

Unless we all of a sudden become a nation of fish eaters. Which I can’t see anytime soon.
Mind you, with the expected price hike of foreign cheeses, it could be a viable alternative

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 09, 2020, 08:32:54 pm by normal rules »
That’s a fair commute from Mabo just for college.

Mablethorpe? Who did you upset?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 09, 2020, 08:59:29 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
That’s a fair commute from Mabo just for college.

Mablethorpe? Who did you upset?

I was the furthest north daily commuting student at Boston - I had to bike a mile to catch the bus because it didn't go as far north as me! Then an hour and three-quarters bus ride each way...

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 09, 2020, 09:04:23 pm by wilts rover »
NR.

And I believe your point about this being all posturing and principle is correct.
All a bit bizarre.

I wonder if the meal Boris and Ursula are enjoying tonight is a nice lump of North Sea Cod ?

Close. Scallops for starters then halibut as main.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 09, 2020, 09:46:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
NR.

All a bit bizarre.

And then back to his plaice.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 09, 2020, 09:48:32 pm by drfchound »

Interesting that.
I heard a news article this evening which said that we need to eat less meat over the coming years as we try to reduce our carbon footprint.
Maybe we are the ones who will eat all the fish we catch.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:51:27 pm by drfchound »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on December 09, 2020, 10:11:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Interesting that.
I heard a news article this evening which said that we need to eat less meat over the coming years as we try to reduce our carbon footprint.
Maybe we are the ones who will eat all the fish we catch.

Especially with no food on the shelves.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 09, 2020, 10:27:11 pm by normal rules »
NR.

All a bit bizarre.

And then back to his plaice.

I joked with my Mrs that he went in person for one last jump

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 10, 2020, 04:24:21 pm by sha66y »
It’ll all come out in the wash.......

TinyPortal © 2005-2012