Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 03:05:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wettest I have ever been at a football match  (Read 1613 times)

Petche

• Forum Member
Re: Wettest I have ever been at a football match
« Reply #30 on April 21, 2024, 07:51:52 pm by Petche »
At Brighton in the Withdean.  They handed out plastic ponchos I seem to recall. Circa 2007?

Yep I was there, it rained all day and all night!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 21, 2024, 08:20:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »
https://youtu.be/Krb1vjEaGgw?si=D9DWzmj0-H0ffdQe

This game. You'd think when you draw an Italian team the weather would be decent. We drove all day through downpours from Pisa to Modena with rumours the game was going to be called off going around all day. I was out in Dublin the week after the game and got out two €50 notes from the ATM for pints. My wallet still hadn't dried out and nearly ruined my money.

As I am sure you know, we know all about rain on the island of Ireland  Y-A-T  :lol: :lol: :lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 21, 2024, 09:03:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I am beginning to think I am the only one on here who was at at that Barrow 4-2 game all those years ago  :blush:

Presumably everyone else drowned?

Life was cheap in them days.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 21, 2024, 09:12:52 pm by drfchound »
York away a few years back.  The away terrace has no cover and it hammered it down from pre kick off to the end off the match.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 21, 2024, 09:26:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I am beginning to think I am the only one on here who was at at that Barrow 4-2 game all those years ago  :blush:
I started going regularly to Rovers the season after (65/66) although I did attend one or two games before that, although I don't remember which ones!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 21, 2024, 09:30:57 pm by IDM »
Talking about getting "wet through", it has to be the friendly v Real Sociedad at Belle Vue. It took me an hour to get my Rovers shirt off when I got home.

Talking about getting "piss wet through", though, it has to be the Bootham crescent bogs at York City. It took me an hour to get my socks off when I got home.

They had bogs for the away end at Bootham Crescent?  I always thought folks just pissed on the terracing when it was packed.  It was when I was there in 1984 anyway..

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 21, 2024, 09:35:40 pm by RobTheRover »
Friendly v Real Sociedad for me, although that was more post match after the heavens opened just after the final whistle.

Wettest for me too but it did start before the whistle as the pitch nearly flooded with the ref (Mark Halsey?) blowing the whistle prematurely to get everyone off the pitch.

Another very wet one was the big Friday night Lincoln match at OBV which we lost during that great season. Packed into the Town End where there was no escape form the constant heavy rain. Very dismal but mitigated by winning the League.

The Real Sociedad game for me too. A glorious morning so rixked up in shorts and t-shirt, but the clouds started to gather around half time, a huge thunderstorm far in the distance over the Rosso End.  I got that wet that the bluetooth on my phone never worked again.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 21, 2024, 09:43:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'll never forget getting a gob full of 50 year old liquidated rust and bird shite from the dripping main stand roof during the deluge against Real Sociedad.

I can still taste it now.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 22, 2024, 07:01:09 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
York away a few years back.  The away terrace has no cover and it hammered it down from pre kick off to the end off the match.

Was that when Rob Jones was in charge in that Carabao Cup game? Christ. Thought I’d acquired trench foot by the end of the game. And we were shite.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 22, 2024, 10:32:04 am by Mike_F »
Definitely Southport away in their own stand behind the goal. Think we won 4 v 1 after going behind. Comedy wet, hail, the works. We started singing some comedy chants. Think it took a day to dry off

This one for me too. The hail was painful, I was hunched over trying to protect my head and felt like a right jessie when Paul Barnes powered a headed goal in through the storm.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 22, 2024, 10:34:52 am by drfchound »

Was that when Rob Jones was in charge in that Carabao Cup game? Christ. Thought I’d acquired trench foot by the end of the game. And we were shite.

It was indeed.
About half of our support that night left at half time, possibly because of the rain nd possibly because of how bad the team played.

redandwhitewizard

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 22, 2024, 08:47:02 pm by redandwhitewizard »
I remember the real sociodad game for the fact that 200 grown men, (me included) nearly flew face down to the ground leaving the ground in torrential rain when there was a huge flash of lightning. Was that the same game a bucket of fish was thrown over the roof into the popside halfway line faithful?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 22, 2024, 09:00:46 pm by scawsby steve »

It was indeed.
About half of our support that night left at half time, possibly because of the rain nd possibly because of how bad the team played.

Sorry to be pedantic, mate, but it wasn't the Carabao Cup, which is now the name of the EFL Cup, it was the EFL Trophy. I can't remember the sponsor's name then, Checkatrade maybe?

However, Monkcaster's right that Rob Jones was in charge. I believe we lost 0-2 that night.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 22, 2024, 09:27:16 pm by drfchound »

It was indeed.

Sorry to be pedantic, mate, but it wasn't the Carabao Cup, which is now the name of the EFL Cup, it was the EFL Trophy. I can't remember the sponsor's name then, Checkatrade maybe?

However, Monkcaster's right that Rob Jones was in charge. I believe we lost 0-2 that night.

I wouldn’t expect anything less from you my old mate.
Always true to the cause though, we stayed to the end of the game and the rain had gone through everything we had on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012