Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:37:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wettest I have ever been at a football match  (Read 1740 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Wettest I have ever been at a football match
« on April 21, 2024, 12:04:10 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Of course there have been a few, but I wonder if anyone else on here was at the match at Belle Vue on 20 March 1965?

The score: Doncaster Rovers 4 Barrow 2  :lol:

Rovers were 9th (just like yesterday), not quite threatening the top four promotion spots, and Alick Jeffrey was chasing leading scorer in the country. Wild wild weather with the rain almost horizontal, and unsurprisingly the lowest crowd of the season with 4399 brave souls desperately seeking any shelter possible. I seem to remember the cowshed being suddenly popular, Rossington End deserted. Players sliding everywhere, probably wouldn't have been played today. Lewis Guy would have had a field day. That day sticks in my memory just for the weather. Alick scored twice, and Alex Tait scored the other two. Certainly no pitch invasions, no-one stupid enough to risk drowning.

:scarf: :scarf:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 12:08:18 pm by Dutch Uncle »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
Re: Wettest I have ever been at a football match
« Reply #1 on April 21, 2024, 12:07:03 pm by TonySoprano »
Honestly thought this was going to be another thread about yesterday  :laugh:

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 21, 2024, 12:16:09 pm by 5minstogo »
Friendly v Real Sociedad for me, although that was more post match after the heavens opened just after the final whistle.

Dazator

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 21, 2024, 12:29:46 pm by Dazator »
Definitely Southport away in their own stand behind the goal. Think we won 4 v 1 after going behind. Comedy wet, hail, the works. We started singing some comedy chants. Think it took a day to dry off

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 21, 2024, 12:30:22 pm by streathamdave »
Behind the goal at Belle Vue vs Gillingham. The ground was in a bad way back then and by that time that 'stand' was hardly ever open. Not sure why I watched from that end as I didn't normally. It snowed. Think it was a mixture of snow and rain actually with no cover :cold:but we won.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 21, 2024, 12:32:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Definitely Southport away in their own stand behind the goal. Think we won 4 v 1 after going behind. Comedy wet, hail, the works. We started singing some comedy chants. Think it took a day to dry off

This. It is not physically possible to be wetter than that day.

There was a ten minute queue to get into the men's toilets at Harthead Services on the M62, 2 hours later because it was packed with Donny fans stripping off and drying their clothes under the hand driers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 21, 2024, 12:33:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Mind, to be fair, yesterday was close given that I pissed myself involuntarily three times in the last 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 01:30:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 21, 2024, 12:38:46 pm by Draytonian III »

The Southport goalkeeper that day was  tv presenter Elton Welsby son, I can’t remember his first name but he got a bit of grief with the continuous chanting of Welsby,Welsby,Welsby

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 21, 2024, 12:44:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Friendly v Real Sociedad for me, although that was more post match after the heavens opened just after the final whistle.

Wettest for me too but it did start before the whistle as the pitch nearly flooded with the ref (Mark Halsey?) blowing the whistle prematurely to get everyone off the pitch.

Another very wet one was the big Friday night Lincoln match at OBV which we lost during that great season. Packed into the Town End where there was no escape form the constant heavy rain. Very dismal but mitigated by winning the League.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 21, 2024, 12:54:56 pm by turnbull for england »
Wigan in Leyland Daf must be close

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 21, 2024, 12:56:12 pm by turnbull for england »
I wasn't there but wasn't there a biblical storm in pre season against Spanish side ?

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 21, 2024, 01:06:05 pm by Wokingviking »
At Brighton in the Withdean.  They handed out plastic ponchos I seem to recall. Circa 2007?

LakesideOwl

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 21, 2024, 01:07:13 pm by LakesideOwl »
Honestly thought this was going to be another thread about yesterday  :laugh:

I mean... It was that good  :lol:

Dazator

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 21, 2024, 02:56:53 pm by Dazator »

There was a ten minute queue to get into the men's toilets at Harthead Services on the M62, 2 hours later because it was packed with Donny fans stripping off and drying their clothes under the hand driers.

Brilliant. Yeah I was living in Liverpool at the time and there was 3 of us with a steam of water coming off us down the middle of the merseyrail train back into Liverpool. Full change required and borrowed clothes for my mates when we got back

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 21, 2024, 03:09:32 pm by NickDRFC »

Loved that game. My dad and I were in the directors box so completely dry and the 2 lads we’d taken with us in the car were totally exposed. We stopped somewhere to buy a couple of towels for the seats on the way back.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 21, 2024, 04:02:09 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Saltergate one (I think) Boxing Day in the 90s. Completely exposed away end, torrential and freezing rain and sleet blown straight at that away end that went straight through a thick parka and several layers of clothes andhad me wet to the skin within minutes. It's still the only football match I've stood with my back towards and watched over my shoulder.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 21, 2024, 04:17:34 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Accrington away this season

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 21, 2024, 04:17:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Talking about getting "wet through", it has to be the friendly v Real Sociedad at Belle Vue. It took me an hour to get my Rovers shirt off when I got home.

Talking about getting "piss wet through", though, it has to be the Bootham crescent bogs at York City. It took me an hour to get my socks off when I got home.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 21, 2024, 04:49:09 pm by turnbull for england »
Saltergate one (I think) Boxing Day in the 90s. Completely exposed away end, torrential and freezing rain and sleet blown straight at that away end that went straight through a thick parka and several layers of clothes andhad me wet to the skin within minutes. It's still the only football match I've stood with my back towards and watched over my shoulder.

New year's Day perhaps? Remember being in fancy dress and that dissolving in rain - Steve Adams won a penalty

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 21, 2024, 04:56:21 pm by DonnyNoel »
Mansfield away in the FA Cup first round, mid 90's, torrential rain when their away end was open terrace. Rumours were Ken had picked the side that day and we were 4-0 when we came away on around 80 mins. Think we pulled in back to 4-2 but can't say I was bothered about missing those goals.

Dazator

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 21, 2024, 05:07:50 pm by Dazator »

The Southport goalkeeper that day was  tv presenter Elton Welsby son, I can’t remember his first name but he got a bit of grief with the continuous chanting of Welsby,Welsby,Welsby

That was one of the funniest and most effective chants I've witnessed, it was all in the way it was said and was clearly getting to him which meant we over played it to death

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 21, 2024, 05:46:58 pm by roversdude »
Southport wetter than an otters pocket

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 21, 2024, 05:56:29 pm by adamtherover »
Stanley away this season was pretty brutal..

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 21, 2024, 05:56:46 pm by Butchers Red »

Me too - unbelievable rain and wind that day

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 21, 2024, 06:00:28 pm by PDX_Rover »

Me too - unbelievable rain and wind that day

Yes. On that exposed away end. It was freezing too.

Leyland DAF at Wigan as Turnbull mentioned. That was a lot of fun though…. Mudslides

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 21, 2024, 06:36:51 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I am beginning to think I am the only one on here who was at at that Barrow 4-2 game all those years ago  :blush:

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 21, 2024, 06:41:10 pm by Wokingviking »
Methuselah was there with you Dutch.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 21, 2024, 07:30:48 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Methuselah was there with you Dutch.

Along with Scawsby Steve, Bentley Bullet and Wolfie (Allegedly)  :lol: :lol:

Unless they were fair weather fans in those days  ;)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 21, 2024, 07:43:16 pm by idler »
I was there Dutch but my wettest was probably 1969/69 Southend at home we won 2-0. We were at the edge of the pop stand and I was still getting wet so I just stood in it. Wet to the skin and squelched back home to Balby. The second wettest was probably
1-5 at home to Crystal Palace 1960/61? The ref took the players off for 10 minutes during the first half.
Away is probably Southport in the conference followed by Wigan in the Leyland daf. Both wet through but happy at the end.

Ye-Aul-Tavern

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 21, 2024, 07:49:51 pm by Ye-Aul-Tavern »
https://youtu.be/Krb1vjEaGgw?si=D9DWzmj0-H0ffdQe

This game. You'd think when you draw an Italian team the weather would be decent. We drove all day through downpours from Pisa to Modena with rumours the game was going to be called off going around all day. I was out in Dublin the week after the game and got out two €50 notes from the ATM for pints. My wallet still hadn't dried out and nearly ruined my money.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012