Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:35:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gillett  (Read 2976 times)

German Rover

• Forum Member
Gillett
« on August 07, 2010, 08:42:37 pm by German Rover »
Today was the first time I have seen him play, and think he is exactly what we have missed, an agressive midfielder.  We have missed this since Richie Wellens went to leicester and today he was willing to put himself about and was in my opinion unlucky to be sent off.  Love him already

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
Re:Gillett
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2010, 08:54:33 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
I don't think he was unlucky, could have got a red in the first half for raising his hands, it was a bad tackle on him, but if you react like that, you are going to be in trouble and it could have easily have been a red for rasing his hands.

Its good to have an aggressive midfielder, but he has to channel it properly, otherwise he will miss half the season through suspension.

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on August 07, 2010, 09:10:10 pm by VikingJames »
Agree with the OP tbh.

He was a bit silly to get sent off, but it was nice to see some tenacity and steel in the middle of the park - something we've missed since Wellens left.

He seemed to get forward a bit today aswell, and he did a very good job in that area too.

Overall he played very well, so it was a shame that he got himself sent off.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #3 on August 07, 2010, 09:10:53 pm by Chrisd_123 »
I see your point about him having to calm down a bit but i dont think many games will be like today. It was quite obvious that after a few of our plays where we just kept the ball for ages that the only way they were going to stop us was kick us. Gillett just happened to be on the wrong end of a few of these challenges from the same player and, although I don't agree with his reaction, it is understandable as i could see how it will have been frustrating.

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2010, 09:14:37 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
Totally agree, and I was surprised that he was the only one to really lose his cool to be honest. Maybe thats something he can pick up from the other lads, Copps was on the end of several very strong 'challenges' and didn't react....

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2010, 09:44:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If we work so hard to get their players rattled, the last thing we should be doing is reacting and losing our advantage. Go down, stay down and count to 10 !

PeeblesRover22

« Reply #6 on August 07, 2010, 10:53:18 pm by PeeblesRover22 »
The new Animal???

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2010, 10:54:58 pm by Superspy »
stupid reaction aside, i thought he was awesome today. obviously some of you think he is what we have been missing and im inclined to agree, the thing i enjoyed watching was that every time he got the ball, it didn't look like a pass backwards or sideways even entered his mind, it was always FORWARD! CHAAAARGE! :D haha, he was great to watch.

its a shame he got sent off, but he was definitely playing the passion, and giving as good as he got, the same way oster does, i'm looking forward to seeing them 2 play together.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 08, 2010, 07:04:10 am by Alan Southstand »
The best midfield player on display until his sending off, which was very harsh IMO, as we had possession of the football at the time.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 08, 2010, 07:44:30 am by Donnywolf »
.... have to disagree after seeing the second challenge on SSN

he was already on yelloW and known to the ref and it was obvious he had done something with his waving hands reaction ... and whether he meant it or not .... the ref THOUGHT hwe meant it

7MW went the same way IF ANYONE NOTICED ... the Ref had him for a long talk and was on his radar ... Woods then made a nothing challenge on half way line (not dirty or malicious as some of their tackles had been) and up went the yellow immediately

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 08, 2010, 08:01:32 am by Donnywolf »
Redandwhitewhizards wrote:
Totally agree, and I was surprised that he was the only one to really lose his cool to be honest. Maybe thats something he can pick up from the other lads, Copps was on the end of several very strong 'challenges' and didn't react....

He will be indoctrinated into better reaction by the Hand of SOD in exactly the same way 26JC was. He came on a 3 game ban I think and was tamed whilst still being combatative

They will be informed that we have enough team disruption through injuries without losing players to unnecessary suspensions. True - we will still get routine bookings for trips fouls etc but they are part of the game. Retaliation should not be

Another plus for SOD as I am sure our usually good red card record is down to him

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 08, 2010, 08:26:30 am by Barmby Rover »
I have just had the same conversation with a mate DW, Gillett will learn the \"disciplined\" way of SOD or will lose his place, being sat on the bench is useless to us when we have a small squad.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 08, 2010, 08:50:50 am by Barmby Rover »
Listen to any of our players interviews, or SOD's and count how many times you hear the word disciplined,that is why we got the best record in the division for yellow and red cards last season. Our lads don't react because they know it can be worse for them, it is one of the most admirable things about the Sean O Driscoll way, accept refs decisions and get on with it.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 08, 2010, 05:16:53 pm by Jonathan »
No complaints with the decision to send him off but he was brilliant up until that point. He needs to keep the aggression but lose the needless reaction. He will pick up bookings because of the way he plays but things like the first yellow can be eradicated. He will be a big asset to us this season.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 08, 2010, 09:25:56 pm by CusworthRovers »
I thought it was always coming from one of our players (and I could name the likely candidates).

In the first half our outstanding awesome Footy was pissing all the PNE players right off. Hayes and Brown resorted to being 2 thugs up front and how Brown was not sent off for chopping players down was beyond me.
Davidson was also a nasty shit as were a few others.

Copps got plenty, as he was taking the piss out of their team, Stock had a few. The referee never got hold of their players properly, and I think SG's reaction to the first yellow was after yet another scything nasty tackle on himself. The second was purely mistimed with no malice in it whatsoever, unlike their challenges.

As for SG he was pretty darn good. He was everywhere on the pitch and made himself available to every player who needed a get out of jail pass. Top performance.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012