Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:51:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: opponents days out that you miss  (Read 5400 times)

Standanista

• Forum Member
Re:opponents days out that you miss
« Reply #30 on September 22, 2010, 10:45:46 pm by Standanista »
Another vote for York.  I'll never forget the crush to get into the brick away-end bogs which were held together by the moss on the urinals.  I used to enjoy watching footy at Denaby as well: rusted-fast turnstile which you had to walk around, oxo, kids playing footy on the grass behind the goal, typewritten programme insert and the smell of linament wafting across the Crags.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 23, 2010, 11:31:53 am by ravenrover »
I always enjoyed playing at Denaby, lovely big well kept pitch. As I remember the changing rooms were nothing to shout about.........except LET ME OUT!! :laugh:

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 23, 2010, 04:26:18 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
Scarborough for the banter and the fish & chips on the sea front.

Rushden; by far the best away ground in the Conference for comfort & atmosphere.

Hednesford Town; not sure why? Nice ground, few ding dong games!

Telford (Old Bucks Head); great old ground, good chippy over the road.

Tranmere Rovers; good boozer on the corner, good atmosphere.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 23, 2010, 05:24:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Rotherham united. More of a duty than a pleasure visiting there.
The annual visit to the doctors to top up the innoculations prior to visiting there was more of a gratifying experience rather that a happy one.
There was much more to the occasion than seeing Rovers pick up three easy points, the grateful faces of the locals opening their food parcels was much more important.
Travelling to such places carrying out vital missionary work far exceeded the discomfort of spending a couple of hours in that Millmoor hovel.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 23, 2010, 10:43:45 pm by Lesonthewest »
Rochdale for the pork pies & the pint in the Cemetery, Scarborough, Rotherham, Burnley, York, Carlisle & Darlington, the Feethams one that is. Call me old fashioned but I miss most of the Non League grounds too, the likes of Hednesford, Northwich, Leigh, Bradford Park Avenue (that one from the league days), all seems a million miles from where we are today, but great memories all the same. Great cup days at Whitby & Telford too.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 23, 2010, 10:53:44 pm by JonWallsend »
Bentley Bullet wrote:
Rotherham united. More of a duty than a pleasure visiting there.
The annual visit to the doctors to top up the innoculations prior to visiting there was more of a gratifying experience rather that a happy one.
There was much more to the occasion than seeing Rovers pick up three easy points, the grateful faces of the locals opening their food parcels was much more important.
Travelling to such places carrying out vital missionary work far exceeded the discomfort of spending a couple of hours in that Millmoor hovel.

Millmoor was was always the game I looked forward to, but other than a draw in one of the first few games of SOD's reign and a memorable 3-2 victory courtesy of one of the greatest strikes you'll ever see from Ray Deans back in the mid 80's, every other visit, nigh on a dozen, has ended in defeat.
Rochdale was my favourite for the proximity of pub, chippy and away turnstile.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 23, 2010, 11:00:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Standanista wrote:
Another vote for York.  I'll never forget the crush to get into the brick away-end bogs which were held together by the moss on the urinals.  I used to enjoy watching footy at Denaby as well: rusted-fast turnstile which you had to walk around, oxo, kids playing footy on the grass behind the goal, typewritten programme insert and the smell of linament wafting across the Crags.

'kin 'ell Stan, you're conjuring up sepia-toned, \"We went ter ' shops me dad an me\" Hovis type memories here.

I take it you've forgotten bricking it as you went back up the Crags on the Black Path to your posh March Vale Rise enclave, consantly fearing getting the shit kicked out of you by some feral Denaby rat-boy?

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 24, 2010, 06:24:50 pm by Standanista »
You forget we only lived one street off Daylands, so we were brought up on survival in the urban jungle.  (I'll never forget the welcome home smell of fence pailings and sheet plastic burning in the neighbours' hearths.)  It was the poofs on Buckingham Road they used to go for.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012