Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 04:50:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 30 years ago today..  (Read 1708 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
30 years ago today..
« on December 08, 2010, 09:46:18 am by Filo »
one of music`s greatest ever songwriters and an inspiration to many of todays musicians was shot dead

RIP John Lennon

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
Re:30 years ago today..
« Reply #1 on December 08, 2010, 10:39:05 am by CusworthRovers »
Remember it like yesterday. All of us at school talking about it. The release of all the singles........the sadness of Merry Xmas, War is Over. Even in that brilliant period of a mini music/fashion revolution ie punk, new wave, mods, new romantics; we were all still Beatles fans and especially Lennon's solo stuff.

I've got much of his/Beatles stuff:

Mind Games is one hell of a stand out song and so deep

Just makes you wonder what he would have been like today, what would he have been saying about world affairs and current music. He was the man who dared to be different

Definite genius to music and popular culture and sadly fits that iconic tag of 'the good die young'

Sweet Jesus, I've just read that back and I don't half write some shite

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 08, 2010, 11:37:31 am by Sandy Lane »
I think most feel the same way Cussy.  I was a bairn when the Beatles hit America later on 1972?, but still remember the buzz of excitement and that was all everyone was talking about. I just remember repeats of the Ed Sullivan Show as I wasn't around yet, but it still feels like I was.  I wanted to be older to experience the music scene starting then.  But over the years I loved his music and his social conscious.  When my kids started listening to music I gave them 'must have' albums and The Beatles featured prominently, with John's songs standing out among them.  RIP John.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 08, 2010, 04:41:38 pm by jucyberry »
I remember it so clearly , not just as a stand alone tragedy, but as being one of the last things my  dad ever spoke about. four days later he slipped in the snow banging his head and rupturing an aneursym.

Not exactly a good year as it wasn't only Lennon fans who lost their hero that xmas.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 08, 2010, 10:25:22 pm by BobG »
I remember it too. I was in the Hammersmith Apollo the night he was shot, watching Al Stewart. It was a really weird concert. Everyone was thinking of John but watching & listening to Al. Never forgot that. Oddest atmosphere ever.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012