Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:19:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great win tonight  (Read 6671 times)

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
Re:Great win tonight
« Reply #30 on December 18, 2010, 10:29:59 am by CusworthRovers »
A great win and we dominated the game bar the last 15mins. Boyd seem to give them a new spur.

Moments from the game:

Their Goal. Hesitation between Sulli and the defence and then when their laddo crossed it, Souza was marking the scoring, but left him and went back post area. It was like he had been tutored for zonal marking and he wasn't allowed to be central. He should have followed his instinct and just marked the chuff. Calamatous goal.

The introduction of Wilson and the dropping of a striker (in this case DH) was just what the doctor ordered. Both he and Stocky controlled the middle ground.

Stock was the best player on the pitch. Scrappy goal, but glad he capped it with that. Could have had a penalty, should have shot earlier a few times before, took a ball full in the face from a shot which to be honest I would have walked off the pitch and cried in this weather. Really back to his orchestrating best now. Get him signed up.

Defence were OK. A bit scrappy, but understandable. Distribution from them wasn't at hit's best but the unfamiliarity of not playing together and the state of the conditions were never going to be in their favour.

Billy was Billy and looked good with Hayts. Both tireless and a hand in both goals.

Copps huffed and puffed. Hope he's OK.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about JO. He looks devoid of confidence. It's something that's been going on for about 4 games or so, but nothing of note, however a pattern is emerging now. His passing is the main thing that seems shot. He's putting a shift in, but it's not really happening. Could be worth a thread on it's own this.

5 games to come over this festive period and we start off with a win. 1 out of 5 already and we are on 30 points and still not half way through the season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 18, 2010, 10:40:38 am by DonnyNoel »
CusworthRovers wrote:
A great win and we dominated the game bar the last 15mins. Boyd seem to give them a new spur.

Moments from the game:

Their Goal. Hesitation between Sulli and the defence and then when their laddo crossed it, Souza was marking the scoring, but left him and went back post area. It was like he had been tutored for zonal marking and he wasn't allowed to be central. He should have followed his instinct and just marked the chuff. Calamatous goal.

The introduction of Wilson and the dropping of a striker (in this case DH) was just what the doctor ordered. Both he and Stocky controlled the middle ground.

Stock was the best player on the pitch. Scrappy goal, but glad he capped it with that. Could have had a penalty, should have shot earlier a few times before, took a ball full in the face from a shot which to be honest I would have walked off the pitch and cried in this weather. Really back to his orchestrating best now. Get him signed up.

Defence were OK. A bit scrappy, but understandable. Distribution from them wasn't at hit's best but the unfamiliarity of not playing together and the state of the conditions were never going to be in their favour.

Billy was Billy and looked good with Hayts. Both tireless and a hand in both goals.

Copps huffed and puffed. Hope he's OK.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about JO. He looks devoid of confidence. It's something that's been going on for about 4 games or so, but nothing of note, however a pattern is emerging now. His passing is the main thing that seems shot. He's putting a shift in, but it's not really happening. Could be worth a thread on it's own this.

5 games to come over this festive period and we start off with a win. 1 out of 5 already and we are on 30 points and still not half way through the season.

Yup, I'd have to go along with all that Cussie. Stock showed the game running presence that's been missing in parts this season and was involved in important parts of the game at both ends. Haven't seen the goal again but I reckon he deliberately hit it low and at 3/4 pace to avoid slashing wildly at it. Wilson for Healey worked. Copps and Oster I think (hope) were affected by the pitch. You could see Copps couldn't get his gravity right which was a shame as their left back looked very raw. Oster is the man to play the killer pass so his passes always have the potential to stray, although I agree he's been of the pace since his awesome October form.

Hopefully injuries aren't going to cost us over Xmas.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 18, 2010, 10:59:19 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Of all the centre halves we've seen on show in recent times I thought Locky looked the steadiest. He doesn't make that many gaffs and his reading of the game is quite good.

He'll always win his fair share of headers when the likes of Thomas is not winning those that he should be.

I'd be quite happy for SOD to carry on with Locky, as long as he has the right man alongside him.

I thought Hird was tidy enough and did his defensive job very well and made some key tackles/blocks/interceptions. My only gripe with him is his distribution.

Once we get key players back in defence and midfield, we could easily go on a run.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 18, 2010, 11:02:06 am by phil o sophical »
Did enjoy Sams crunching tackle on one of their forwards that sent him up in the air.I must admit thats one aspect of the game i miss nowadays since players are scared to tackle in case they get their marching orders. A good hard tackle done properly was as much a skill as any other part of the game and that one of Sams certainly get the crowd on its feet near me

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 18, 2010, 03:09:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
Well, I think I must have been at a different game. Great result but awful performance, for me. The defence was, well, lets just say not the best I've ever seen and we sorely missed the FB's. The midfield started well but seemed to become so disjointed 2nd half that it started to look like only Boro could have won it. Billy looked way off the pace and I reckon his injury has taken a couple of yards of pace out of him.

The worrying thing is the injuries during the game - Copps, Martis (who was easily our best defender, but that's not saying much) and Souza (no great loss, on last night's showing). The trouble is where is the back-up - ans. they're all injured!

WE are absolutely desperate for (at the very least) 3 new loanees in January. If we don't strengthen this squad, then its anyone's guess how the rest of our season is going to pan out.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 18, 2010, 03:55:47 pm by Ian H »
WE are absolutely desperate for (at the very least) 3 new loanees in January. If we don't strengthen this squad, then its anyone's guess how the rest of our season is going to pan out.

Alan, you are absolutely desperate for as many players as you can possibly get added to our squad.

I presume you mean as well as the return of Chambers, Woods, Gillet, and others who areon their way back to fitness.

Do you have any plans to help finance the deals - maybe allowing Stock to leave?

The season is already panning out - 52(ish) points required to avoid the bottom 3 - 30 achieved so far - should we get to 52 with games to spare see how far up the league we can finish.

In my opinion Martis was potentially our 3rd best defender last night (from the starting back four) behind Locky & Sam .... just as well it's all about opinions :)

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 18, 2010, 05:56:46 pm by CottyRover »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Of all the centre halves we've seen on show in recent times I thought Locky looked the steadiest. He doesn't make that many gaffs and his reading of the game is quite good.

He'll always win his fair share of headers when the likes of Thomas is not winning those that he should be.

I'd be quite happy for SOD to carry on with Locky, as long as he has the right man alongside him.

I thought Hird was tidy enough and did his defensive job very well and made some key tackles/blocks/interceptions. My only gripe with him is his distribution.

Once we get key players back in defence and midfield, we could easily go on a run.

I couldn't get lasty night but from what I've seen this season he looks shaky and seems to unsettle whoever plays alongside him.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 18, 2010, 08:39:31 pm by roversdude »
Not a big fan of Locky but thought he was MOM

TinyPortal © 2005-2012