Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:07:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sam Hird  (Read 5269 times)

VikingJames

Re:Sam Hird
« Reply #30 on December 18, 2010, 09:14:44 pm by VikingJames »
i_ateallthepies wrote:
Glad to be of assistance VJ.  Some people just need someone to blame.  How I wish we still had Lewis Guy with us.

The term blame is pretty redundant when we won.

Plus, there is a difference between blaming a player and giving your views on their performance.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 19, 2010, 11:59:02 am by bobjimwilly »
Im not saying that he was our worst player, but really, was he our best last night, which is what the MoM is really about?

And regarding the comment that a CB's job is not distribution. Usually you'd be right, as in with any other team or any other manager, but SOD makes rovers play from the back. This means CBs must be able to pass, and I can't remember too many passes that Sam completed? He always seemed to make the wrong choice, or just pass it straight to Boro, which when you're at CB is a very bad idea. I understand he made some crucial tackles, but JOC does that week in week out and he doesn't seem to win the MoM for it?

Regarding Locky and Martis - I thought they both had good games last night, but I would agree with Cussy that Locky shouldn't be our starting CB with a fully fit squad, for the same reasons that have been discussed many times before now. Also, does anyone else notice that Locky seems to get away with putting his hands all over the oppo forwards a hell of a lot? Even from the South east corner in the 1st half on Friday night I couldn't believe how much he appeared to foul strikers and get away with it? Dangerous game to be playing really.  :huh:

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 19, 2010, 01:01:32 pm by CusworthRovers »
Chrisd_123 wrote:
Why do people bang on about his distribution as if it's his main job in the team? He's a centre half, if he wins headers, like he did all game, and make fantastic tackles, like he did all game, then surely he had a good game? Sam was great tonight and did he job well. He's a centre half, I couldn't care if he kicked every ball into row Z as long as it's away from danger. He had a very good, solid game amd was MOM in my opinion.

Because the higher up the league you are, the more durable players need to be. Footy has moved on and we've left 70's and 80's football behind. I can't think of any Mick McCarthey type of CH's in the top 2 leagues ie the row z type (sorry I can now, Morgan). Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for that type of defending. However if my CH has time or can buy himself time I would rather him hold the ball, have a look round and see what the options are....alternatively he can just boot it into row z as soon as the ball is near him with nobody around him...great football. We actually play football and I'm sure you'll agree with that. If SH,AL,WT,SM,BW,JOC simply hoofed the ball high into the air and anywhere on and off the pitch, it would shatter all our game plans. So much more is expected of the modern day footballer and rightly so with the money they're on.

jackthelad1

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 19, 2010, 01:29:02 pm by jackthelad1 »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Chrisd_123 wrote:
Why do people bang on about his distribution as if it's his main job in the team? He's a centre half, if he wins headers, like he did all game, and make fantastic tackles, like he did all game, then surely he had a good game? Sam was great tonight and did he job well. He's a centre half, I couldn't care if he kicked every ball into row Z as long as it's away from danger. He had a very good, solid game amd was MOM in my opinion.

Because the higher up the league you are, the more durable players need to be. Footy has moved on and we've left 70's and 80's football behind. I can't think of any Mick McCarthey type of CH's in the top 2 leagues ie the row z type (sorry I can now, Morgan). Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for that type of defending. However if my CH has time or can buy himself time I would rather him hold the ball, have a look round and see what the options are....alternatively he can just boot it into row z as soon as the ball is near him with nobody around him...great football. We actually play football and I'm sure you'll agree with that. If SH,AL,WT,SM,BW,JOC simply hoofed the ball high into the air and anywhere on and off the pitch, it would shatter all our game plans. So much more is expected of the modern day footballer and rightly so with the money they're on.

There are several. You won't see it watching match of the day but trust me, there are still plenty knocking around.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 20, 2010, 02:51:22 am by Viking Don »
I know I make a cnut of mesen at times but ffs Benaldo, get a grip, you sound like a complete knob with the 'me and my little crowd think certain players are gash' shit. You're not writing for the NMfcukingE you know. We are not amused. Either your little crowd are as blind as you or just too scared to tell you you're wrong.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012