Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:40:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sam Hird  (Read 5270 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Sam Hird
« on December 18, 2010, 11:30:37 am by bobjimwilly »
Why are there so many votes for him as man of the match? I just don't get it?  :blink:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re:Sam Hird
« Reply #1 on December 18, 2010, 11:32:14 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Because he had a very good game.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 18, 2010, 11:32:37 am by DRNaith »
His distribution was poor at times, but I think he made some crucial interceptions

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 18, 2010, 11:55:54 am by Sprotyrover »
Made three miserable passes last night which had he been Matt Mills, the peeps on this forum would have crucified him for, 'HE IS THE WEAKEST LINK@ (puts tin hat on and hunkers down into Bunker!)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 18, 2010, 11:56:37 am by DaveDRFC »
I personally don't see why Sam Hird gets such a bad time on here. When Mills was here he was arguably our best defender (I include Mills in that, Hird and Mills were a great partnership but it was nearly always Mills who made the high profile errors), and I think every time he has been called upon this season, especially when he came on at Scunthorpe, he has played very well. That tackle/block late on yesterday showed that he is not afraid to get hurt for the cause and the fact he can play right back and centre back is a bonus.

I am one of those who voted him man of the match last night, and as has been said above, I did so because he played very very well (in my opinion of course!).

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 18, 2010, 12:02:32 pm by thumper »
Have to say that tackle was excellent, last ditch definately. Had he not made that im sure Middlesbrough would have scored.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 18, 2010, 12:06:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
Sam Hird was neither better or worst thanthe three other centre halves on show, all were well below average for championship defenders. Infact all six centre halves have been obtained on the cheap and it shows. Middlesboro were poor last night and it looked like two relegation sides.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 18, 2010, 12:16:15 pm by RoversAlias »
No way was Hird anywhere near our best player last night. He made some fantastic last ditch tackles but his distribution was awful. How many times did he just send the ball up in the air forward to nobody?

Lockwood was our most solid defender last night.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 18, 2010, 12:22:14 pm by Ian H »
All about opinions - how many times did John Oster / Brian Stock / James Coppinger give the ball away cheaply?

If Sam is your chosen whipping boy that is fine - it is your choice.

I thought that both Sam & Locky did well once they had settled in last night.

steve@dcfd
Middlesboro were poor last night and it looked like two relegation sides.

You have summed up the Championship: Look how many sides are in similar circumstances, but only 3 go down. I'd be surprised if either the Smoggies or DRFC go down unless they have to clear out their big earners in January.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 18, 2010, 01:20:29 pm by CusworthRovers »
Sam seems to be getting the MoM for a few crunching tackles that made up for 1% of the entire game, rather than his 90min contribution. The rest of his 90mins was either average or not too good. Like I said don't want to get into a slating match, as Sam and Locky did well in trying conditions and an un-recognsised back 4. I would stand by the thought that Stocks overall 90 minute (infact make that 94minute) contribution was much much more telling.

I'm noting that there is also a clamour for Locky to now start for us with all the others fit too. Again, without any slating, I would be concerned if Locky was our first choice CH as I feel it would show we have gone backwards.

In fairness Locky should be what he is; a squad player who fills in at times like these. By that it would mean we have some cracking CH's or a settled steady defence. By Locky being a regular it would mean defensively we are weak ie players have lost form, Sean has bought wrong or whatever you want to say. You could apply the same thought process to Hird (although his time with Mills could contradict that argument). It would be nice, in a nice kind of way to the 2 players, that Locky and Sam get nowhere near the first 11 unless of injuries or other crisis

Chrisd_123

« Reply #10 on December 18, 2010, 02:43:46 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Why do people bang on about his distribution as if it's his main job in the team? He's a centre half, if he wins headers, like he did all game, and make fantastic tackles, like he did all game, then surely he had a good game? Sam was great tonight and did he job well. He's a centre half, I couldn't care if he kicked every ball into row Z as long as it's away from danger. He had a very good, solid game amd was MOM in my opinion.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 18, 2010, 03:17:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
Martis was better - as much as it might hurt some people to admit it. When you consider he was O.O.P. Trouble is he pulled up yet again around the 70 min mark. Why can't he see out 90 mins?

jackthelad1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 18, 2010, 03:49:27 pm by jackthelad1 »
Think we need to keep hold of Hird personally. Yeah he has some stinkers but I think he's definitely a confidence player who needs to string a couple of 90 mins together before you see the best of him.

Also...how often is he injured? Never! A good squad player, still young, in 4 or 5 years time could be a future captain. HE'S 23, HE IS GOING TO GET BETTER! I think its important to have at least one Donny lad in the squad as well.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 18, 2010, 03:51:36 pm by Filo »
Showed the Donny in him last night, not wearing gloves, hard as nails!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 18, 2010, 04:08:19 pm by benaldo »
I really don't want to personally have a go at Hird, he's probably a nice guy, donates money to charity, helps drowning kittens, visits old people who are lonely at christmas, etc etc. But....he's garbage at playing football. I honestly think he'd be fighting for a starting place if he were in the old conference team!

His ball control - Kicking a ball to another person - is worse than mine!

His positioning - He is mostly where he shouldn't be most of the match.

His heading - He can't head a ball, ok, he's not in the Martis (or \"Mattress\" as he's now known amongst my little crowd) league of heading disasters, but he's still crap.

His spirit - He never appears interested, bothered, I know this is a hard thing to gauge, but wandering around with a blank expression on his face doesn't convey \"spirit\" or \"fight\" to me...and probably not his team mates!

When the injured players are well again I will breath a huge sigh of hope.....Friend excepted, but perhaps Hird and friend could move together to another club, who would appreciate their abilities, for first team football........like Scawsby.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #15 on December 18, 2010, 04:14:51 pm by Chrisd_123 »
benaldo wrote:
I really don't want to personally have a go at Hird, he's probably a nice guy, donates money to charity, helps drowning kittens, visits old people who are lonely at christmas, etc etc. But....he's garbage at playing football. I honestly think he'd be fighting for a starting place if he were in the old conference team!

His heading - He can't head a ball, ok, he's not in the Martis (or \"Mattress\" as he's now known amongst my little crowd) league of heading disasters, but he's still crap.

His spirit - He never appears interested, bothered, I know this is a hard thing to gauge, but wandering around with a blank expression on his face doesn't convey \"spirit\" or \"fight\" to me...and probably not his team mates!

When the injured players are well again I will breath a huge sigh of hope.....Friend excepted, but perhaps Hird and friend could move together to another club, who would appreciate their abilities, for first team football........like Scawsby.

Do you actually watch Rovers or just make things up? Sam Hird has been quality the few games he's played this season.
Some examples...
Swansea at home - He was fantastic and won everything, Solid game and was unlucky to conceed.

Portsmouth away - Well, First half he had Kanu in his pocket and overall had a great game, Couldn't really do much about either goal himself personally.

Last night - Wasn't afraid to get stuck in. Kept Mcdonald quite until he went off, ok, lost him for the goal but every player was all over the place for that goal, and won everything he challenged for.

I can't see how you can say he's \"garbage at football\" when he's clearly not.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 18, 2010, 04:15:44 pm by PDX_Rover »
That is very harsh Benaldo.

jackthelad1

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 18, 2010, 04:17:29 pm by jackthelad1 »
Chrisd_123 wrote:
benaldo wrote:

Do you actually watch Rovers or just make things up? Sam Hird has been quality the few games he's played this season.
Some examples...
Swansea at home - He was fantastic and won everything, Solid game and was unlucky to conceed.

Portsmouth away - Well, First half he had Kanu in his pocket and overall had a great game, Couldn't really do much about either goal himself personally.

Last night - Wasn't afraid to get stuck in. Kept Mcdonald quite until he went off, ok, lost him for the goal but every player was all over the place for that goal, and won everything he challenged for.

I can't see how you can say he's \"garbage at football\" when he's clearly not.

Just a guess - he's probably the same age as Hird, played against him Sunday league and is basically jealous that Hird made it and he didn't.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 18, 2010, 04:17:40 pm by Filo »
benaldo wrote:
he's garbage at playing football. I honestly think he'd be fighting for a starting place if he were in the old conference team!

What a load of shite! who do you think played in centre of defence at Wembley when we defended so resolutely, and also played a big part in that season, granted he`s found the step up to the Championship tough, but he`s still a good player to have in the squad. To suggest he could n`t get into a conference side is ridiculous, you`re talking out of your arse!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 18, 2010, 04:19:10 pm by benaldo »
Many thanks.........

However, he's still pants.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 18, 2010, 04:22:05 pm by Ian H »
As we say it's all about opinions.

I can clearly see that \"The Benaldo Assessment of Defenders\" opinion is one that I can ignore.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 18, 2010, 04:30:20 pm by bedale rover »
benaldo wrote:
Many thanks.........

he will sleep well knowing that you are \"not having a go at him\" :laugh:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 18, 2010, 07:21:50 pm by RedJ »
Alan Southstand wrote:
Martis was better - as much as it might hurt some people to admit it. When you consider he was O.O.P. Trouble is he pulled up yet again around the 70 min mark. Why can't he see out 90 mins?

Christ, how I agree with this.

I think he's Tom tit, but last night, to say he's only played twice at right back, he was great. He can't see out the ninety because he's always galloping up and down the wing, but when he's in the middle he does bugger all most of the time.

It really does kill me to praise Shelts.

VikingJames

« Reply #23 on December 18, 2010, 07:37:53 pm by VikingJames »
God, Sam is getting a bit of a bashing on here. His distribution was terrible, but defensively, he did okay (alongside YET ANOTHER defensive partner.) Not MoM for me but he did alright. Trouble with people on here is that there are certain players who they are allowed to pick on (and get away with it) eg Hird and Martis. But if anybody mentions the fact that Wilson didn't even touch the ball last night, there'd be uproar  :whistle:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 18, 2010, 08:01:56 pm by ravenrover »
benaldo wrote:
Many thanks.........

BENALDO
I hope you notice I haven't said a word

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 18, 2010, 08:40:18 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Look, whilst they're slagging off Sam or Shelts, they're leaving Willo alone.... oh then VJ wades in.

VikingJames

« Reply #26 on December 18, 2010, 08:58:18 pm by VikingJames »
i_ateallthepies wrote:
Look, whilst they're slagging off Sam or Shelts, they're leaving Willo alone.... oh then VJ wades in.

:lol: Illustrates my point perfectly.

snods big brother

« Reply #27 on December 18, 2010, 09:01:27 pm by snods big brother »
Is Sam Hird the new Mark Wilson?

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 18, 2010, 09:03:23 pm by Akinfenwa »
snods big brother wrote:
Is Sam Hird the new Mark Wilson?

Nah he's not an obvious choice to be the next manager. ;)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 18, 2010, 09:04:23 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Glad to be of assistance VJ.  Some people just need someone to blame.  How I wish we still had Lewis Guy with us.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012