Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:28:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sam Hird - GET OFF HIS BACK!  (Read 4296 times)

DonnyHodge

• Forum Member
Sam Hird - GET OFF HIS BACK!
« on February 12, 2011, 06:40:11 pm by DonnyHodge »
Really i just dont see what the problem is with everyone and Sam Hird.

Yet again today im hearing/reading he is to blame for a poor showing. I just dont see the link. He is always willing to be given the ball for a start, never hides away or shies from a tackle.

Im not into the culture of blaming individuals for a poor TEAM performance, and think if half the \"fans\" spent less time criticising and more time getting behind the lads we would improve no end!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re:Sam Hird - GET OFF HIS BACK!
« Reply #1 on February 12, 2011, 06:46:30 pm by grayx »
I wouldn't blame Hird for todays defeat,but he is not good enough to play in midfield in this league.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 12, 2011, 06:55:52 pm by benaldo »
Sam Hird is most definately NOT to blame for todays defeat in my opinion, though he is not good enough to play for us at this level. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, it's not anyones fault. I wish he was brilliant, but, at the moment, he isn't.

He isn't to blame for us playing poorly, the person responsible is SOD.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 12, 2011, 07:08:05 pm by Lesonthewest »
I bet this lad wonders what he has to do to retain his place at centre back, he was excellent against Burnley & he & Jimmy looked as though they could form some sort of defensive partership, low & behold another central defender gets fit & he is either moved or dropped.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 12, 2011, 07:20:43 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Sam Hird is our best centre back.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 12, 2011, 07:30:33 pm by RedJ »
Padge_DRFC wrote:

Wouldn't go that far, but he's been good recently.

jackthelad1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 12, 2011, 07:35:59 pm by jackthelad1 »
RedJ wrote:
Padge_DRFC wrote:

Wouldn't go that far, but he's been good recently.

hes definitely second best, after JOC.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 12, 2011, 07:39:36 pm by phil o sophical »
Not good enough? would this be the same Sam Hird who was voted MOM in our previous 2 games. Every time this guy plays he gives 100% for the team. Give me a team full of Sam Hirds any day of the week as opposed to a few arm waving and dummy spitting players we seem to be getting at the moment

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 12, 2011, 07:47:41 pm by Wellred »
If there is any blame to be dished out about todays debacle it has to be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of SOD.
He got his team selection wrong and it became obvious quite early in the game that Portsmouth didn't set their team out as he expected.
In my opinion he should have changed things at half time (We know that isn't going to happen however).
He should have taken Chambers off to save him any more embarrasment as he was absolutely garbage.
Then moved JOC to right back and put Sam in with Killgallon.
He could then have brought Mson on to play up front with Billy (no mates up front on his own chasing lost causes)
What has happened to Brooker? He plays one game and then not even on the bench? Wjhats wrong this time? Blisters?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 12, 2011, 07:52:02 pm by grayx »
Wellred wrote:
If there is any blame to be dished out about todays debacle it has to be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of SOD.
He got his team selection wrong and it became obvious quite early in the game that Portsmouth didn't set their team out as he expected.
In my opinion he should have changed things at half time (We know that isn't going to happen however).
He should have taken Chambers off to save him any more embarrasment as he was absolutely garbage.
He could then have brought Mson on to play up front with Billy (no mates up front on his own chasing lost causes)
What has happened to Brooker? He plays one game and then not even on the bench? Wjhats wrong this time? Blisters?

Agree 100%

Gibbo123

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 12, 2011, 07:55:12 pm by Gibbo123 »
He's been excellent and should be playing. Simple

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 12, 2011, 07:55:41 pm by SkellowRover »
Wellred wrote:

Spot on to be fair

mikeward

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 12, 2011, 07:59:41 pm by mikeward »
hird has been our best defender over the last few games , today nearly sdcored from 25/30yards salot closer than our forwards are doing from 5 yards .
was hird the same guy who people where saying copuld make a great partnerships with m mills a few years ago before he left ?
he along with keegan seems to be the only player who is getting stuck in with some heavy tackles the rest seem to be hidding , if hird ws playing , who would sod play , of her weass fit lockwood ? who for me is good whren the other team plays huff ball but is defenitley not a championship player league one at best

sheffieldROVER

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 12, 2011, 08:40:20 pm by sheffieldROVER »
ive always slated the lad, but imo hird and joc are our best pairing i wouldnt play him in midfield or any other position than ch at the side of jimmy. killa is great player but i dont understand why sod played him when joc and tird i mean hird have played so well together of late.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 12, 2011, 08:56:27 pm by Wellred »
sheffieldROVER wrote:
ive always slated the lad, but imo hird and joc are our best pairing i wouldnt play him in midfield or any other position than ch at the side of jimmy. killa is great player but i dont understand why sod played him when joc and tird i mean hird have played so well together of late.

Simple really. Killgallon is the best centre half at the club and if he is fit he has to be the first choice CB.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 12, 2011, 09:01:51 pm by RobTheRover »
Hird did OK in front of the back 4, but it was a limited role.  Christ, will we never have a team of XI out that resembles our best side?

sheffieldROVER

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 12, 2011, 09:03:21 pm by sheffieldROVER »
how can u say that killa is our best cb when hes only played a few games?
im not gonna disagree mate cos i aint seen enough of him, but who do you partner him up?
joc and hird have partnered up better than any other 2 cb this season imo any way

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 13, 2011, 10:40:35 am by donnybel »
One of the reasons why Hird and JOC are a good pairing is that they communicate with each other, just like Hird and Mills did.  Lack of communication between the defenders is one of the reasons we have let in so many goals IMHO. Look at Portsmouth's 2nd goal, no communication.  Hird and JOC for me at CB.

washyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 13, 2011, 11:15:08 am by washyrover »
Does doncaster rovers need him,the answer is yes he gives 100% to the club.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 13, 2011, 11:41:17 am by Wellred »
sheffieldROVER wrote:
how can u say that killa is our best cb when hes only played a few games?
im not gonna disagree mate cos i aint seen enough of him, but who do you partner him up?
joc and hird have partnered up better than any other 2 cb this season imo any way

Its quite simple really. He has been sold for £2m he is from a premiership club and if he were to be sold he would raise more than any of our current CB's.
Its a bit like suggesting if we signed Michael Owen you wouldn't play him up front as Billy is playing well.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 13, 2011, 02:08:14 pm by CJK »
Sam was the only player that put a shift in for Rovers yesterday and he was the best defender on the park for doing so.

Most of our lot need to take a look at themselves after yesterdays performance, bullied or not bullied they didn't put the graft in.

donnyspur

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 13, 2011, 02:20:38 pm by donnyspur »
Why the hell he took Hird off and left the slow Killgannon on is beyond me. He has been our best player the last few weeks BY FAR and had a decent game yesterday as holding midfielder. Surely he takes Killy off and moves Hird back with JOC or am i watching a different game
And while we are on yesterdays game, Billy was fighting a losing battle with no service whatsoever, why the hell we sent Fairhurst out to Hereford when we don't have no strikers left is beyond me    :silly :silly:  :silly:  :silly:  :silly: : What would we do if Billy had come off after getting deliberately stamped on !!!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 13, 2011, 02:27:11 pm by benaldo »
As I think we all know, Hird wasn't to blame for our defeat and, yes, he's come on a lot from a year ago.

The person to blame is SOD. He is the one who picks the team, tells the players where to play, and tells them what to do. Unless they are all coincidentally crap at the same time or are all ignoring him and playing how and where they like, it's SODs fault.

He's turned a really good footballing side into a team of hoofball merchants. I hope he can turn them back to the team at the beginning of the season. Mind you, whne you hear of the players apparently being allowed a say in the tactics and how they play it does make me wonder if SOD has lost control a little?? The ship feels a bit rudderless at the moment doesn't it?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 13, 2011, 04:12:04 pm by ravenrover »
benaldo wrote:
As I think we all know, Hird wasn't to blame for our defeat and, yes, he's come on a lot from a year ago.The person to blame is SOD. He is the one who picks the team, tells the players where to play, and tells them what to do. Unless they are all coincidentally crap at the same time or are all ignoring him and playing how and where they like, it's SODs fault.

He's turned a really good footballing side into a team of hoofball merchants. I hope he can turn them back to the team at the beginning of the season. Mind you, whne you hear of the players apparently being allowed a say in the tactics and how they play it does make me wonder if SOD has lost control a little?? The ship feels a bit rudderless at the moment doesn't it?

Benaldo you're getting soft, you never know you might actually admit he had a good game at some point in the future.  :P

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 15, 2011, 12:21:35 am by drfcsteve »
I've just seen that Hird has been voted man of the match for the third consecutive game now, he is also our 5th best player of the season so far based on the man of the match table. Must be doing something right.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 15, 2011, 03:09:05 pm by wing commander »
im a bigfan of Sam Hird and have felt a bit sorry for him over the last year,comes into the side and it doesnt seem to matter if he has a good game or bad as soon as another centre back is fit,out of the side he goes.
   Comapare that to the clown shoes who is George Friend who reminds me of an Esdaille (yes i rate him that poorly) who consistentley seems to have 3 big cock ups in him every game.One of the worst positional players ive ever seen at left back in a rovers shirt who seems to be a instant pick...I am simply gobsmacked that this bungling clown gets hardly a bit of critism yet hirdy cops the lot.
   Killer obviousley has it in his contract that if fit he plays and thats pushed the boat out to far,however you cant fault that..
   Personally to get this team firing again Copps and Oster are going to have to come off the gravy train they are comfortably sat on at the moment..Hola

SpaceShowerTeleVision

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2011, 08:51:27 pm by SpaceShowerTeleVision »
benaldo wrote:The person to blame is SOD. He is the one who picks the team, tells the players where to play, and tells them what to do. Unless they are all coincidentally crap at the same time or are all ignoring him and playing how and where they like, it's SODs fault.

Yeah that's what we need, a scapegoat, someone to hang - fetch the pitchforks and we'll hunt him down.

benaldo wrote: He's turned a really good footballing side into a team of hoofball merchants.

Anyone remember how we all loved the tippy tappy football.

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2011, 08:56:29 pm by Goldthorpe Rover »
Theres other players to worry about in the team before some of us write Hird off.

SpaceShowerTeleVision

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 15, 2011, 09:04:38 pm by SpaceShowerTeleVision »
Most of our lot need to take a look at themselves after yesterdays performance, bullied or not bullied they didn't put the graft in.

Wise words. The manager can train with the team all week, pick the formation, set the instructions in the dressing room - but when the 11 players cross the line there is nothing he can do. It appears that Rovers have been hamstrung by significant injuries this term, and perhaps some of the players are resting on their laurels or are having their confidence whittled away by successive defeats.

Fans complain when SO'D plays five at the back, but perhaps he could see the problem long before they could. What we need at the moment are tenacious players who wont give up - is Hird one of those? I think he probably is. Like Sean McDaid before hime - not the most technically gifted, but passionate and determined. You never saw him spitting the dummy, arguing with the ref or even his fellow players.

Time to roll the shirt sleeves up I think, those that can't should stay in their luxury apartments round Lakeside and the like and watch the Champions League on their 52 inch plasma.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2011, 09:49:15 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Sam Hird was directly to blame for atleast three of the Ipswich goals this evening...having said that, I dont think a single Rovers player put a decent degree of effort in tonight. Sickening.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012