Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:53:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tory policies not working  (Read 6054 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Tory policies not working
« on March 22, 2011, 03:34:55 pm by Filo »
Public borrowing £11.8bl a record high for February! despite the spending cuts, where`s it gone Gideon? you can`t roll out the usual labour to blame excuse now!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

LuckyGirl

• Forum Member
Re: Tory policies not working
« Reply #1 on March 22, 2011, 05:00:08 pm by LuckyGirl »
:dry: And that's a surprise :dry:
Amazingly unemployment is soaring too and that's before any redundancies in local government ......
:angry:

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 22, 2011, 05:09:02 pm by rtid88 »
This country is well and truely up the shitter, and do the tories care, not in the slightest. As long as their coffers are getting filled they will be happy!!!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 22, 2011, 05:20:16 pm by RedJ »
The irony is, putting so many out of work will probably end up increasing the deficit because of the new benefit claimants. And I doubt the private sector will be able to pick up the slack, even if it did want to.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2011, 06:45:08 pm by grayx »
Quote from: \"LuckyGirl\" post=147562
:dry: And that's a surprise :dry:
Amazingly unemployment is soaring too and that's before any redundancies in local government ......
:angry:

Dont lets forget inflation rising rapidly which will shortly no doubt result in interest rates going up. And don't even mention fcuking fuel prices.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2011, 11:26:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=147566
The irony is, putting so many out of work will probably end up increasing the deficit because of the new benefit claimants. And I doubt the private sector will be able to pick up the slack, even if it did want to.

PRECISELY!

Which is exactly what happened in Japan in the 90s and 00s. After the 1990-1 recession, they were scared about their Govt debt going through the roof. It was then at about 50% of GDP, very similar to ours in 2010. So they set about trying to cut expenditure. But the result was that the economy flat-lined, unemployment went up so dole payment increased, tax income went down because more companies were struggling and the Govt debt actually went UP. Today it stands at about 180% of GDP!!

The economy has stagnated so horrifically that Japan's GDP is now at about the same level as it was in 1995. By contrast, even at the end of a severe recession, by 2010 ours was at about the same level it was at in 2005, and TWICE as high as it was in 1995.

And WE are now well into the first year repeating of the same stupid experiment that has f**ked up Japan for 20 yeaqrs. And remember that they started from a far stronger position than we are doing.

Madness.

It what comes when you think that the ONLY way to reduce debt is to cut, cut cut, and ignore the fact that growing the economy is an equally powerful way of reducing the debt burden. But then that's what happens when you have an economically illiterate failed journalist as Chancellor.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 23, 2011, 12:40:34 am by RedJ »
It isn't too encouraging when your Chancellor dropped out of his economics course because it was too hard, is it?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 23, 2011, 06:43:39 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=147616
It isn't too encouraging when your Chancellor dropped out of his economics course because it was too hard, is it?

Maybe when he said it was too hard, this guy was on the same course

Crispin Blunt

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 23, 2011, 07:20:20 am by auckleyflyer »
The people running the airport must be tories, they got the same mantra!
cut cut cut, instead of concentrating on getting buisness in we run it on a shoestring seeing where we can save pennies here n there,
Then they all sit around wondering why airlines wont come to a run down understaffed facility!
:cry:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 23, 2011, 09:22:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »
While we're at it can someone explain to me what the point if the Budget is this afternoon. Given that Gideon has spent the last few days leaking everything he's planning to say to the Press.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-politics-12824055

Time was when Parliament was seen as the correct place for politicians to announce crucial decisions to the country. Now it's drip fed to the media to try to shape tomorrow's news agenda.

Back in 1947, Labour Chancellor Hugh Dalton resigned after making a few off the record comments about his upcoming Budget. It was felt that a) he was being disrespectful to Parliament by leaking information that should be presented there and b) he was potentially giving investors a chance to make a killing by knowing beforehand what key financial changes were going to come.

Some chance if having THOSE standards of integrity back eh?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 23, 2011, 09:28:11 am by Filo »
I've seen blatant profiteering by the petrol stations around Stainforth, Hatfield and Edenthorpe this morning, overnight the price of fuel has risen by a penny a litre, is this so that they can gain from the anticipated cut in fuel duty, thus the price tomorrow will be the same price as yesterday, are they hoping noone notices?

LuckyGirl

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 23, 2011, 12:45:24 pm by LuckyGirl »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=147630
While we're at it can someone explain to me what the point if the Budget is this afternoon. Given that Gideon has spent the last few days leaking everything he's planning to say to the Press.

Time was when Parliament was seen as the correct place for politicians to announce crucial decisions to the country. Now it's drip fed to the media to try to shape tomorrow's news agenda.

Some chance if having THOSE standards of integrity back eh?

And guess what the *** has for it's headline today ...... £250 cut in tax for some.
The problem is some will see only what they gain while the rest of us struggle to even exist.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 23, 2011, 05:54:52 pm by Mr1Croft »
Well, Osbourne can always argue to his critics; Even though it isn't looking good yet, the Conservatives said from the start that it was always going to be a 5 year plan of action. The first budget was to slow down and stop the deficit, this one was to stimulate growth and still keep on terms with the deficit reduction.

Yet again although Growth will be lower than first predicted for next year (by 0.4% lower according to the office of budget responsibility), Osbourne will defend his actions by stating; \"thats for next year, ive got another 3 to turn it round.\"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/23/budget-2011-key-points-at-a-glance

I'm not ashamed to admit that I voted for the Conservatives, and some of the policies have been harsh, but necessary, for example not many people can truly argue with the benefit scheme. At least if they are offered community work it may make the public see their taxes not being 'entirely wasted' http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/nov/07/unemployed-unpaid-work-lose-benefits

That said though I dislike George Osbourne more and more every time I see him, I still think Vince Cable should be chancellor, easily the most intelligent economist of the modern day in this country.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 23, 2011, 06:01:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Croft it wasn't bad until you mentioned Vince Cable, just no.... He's not quite as pathetic as Milliband but some of his mooted ideas were daft.

Thought the budget was fair and actually better than expected, the Corporation tax cut of 2% could turn out a masterstroke in bringing business into the UK.  Previous cases of that have had a real effect and it's a trick Ireland used really well.  Will certainly see an impact, how big that impact will remain to be seen.  Also very good for those on low wages like me who will benefit from the tax personal allowance going up.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 23, 2011, 06:23:56 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=147676
Croft it wasn't bad until you mentioned Vince Cable, just no.... He's not quite as pathetic as Milliband but some of his mooted ideas were daft.

Thought the budget was fair and actually better than expected, the Corporation tax cut of 2% could turn out a masterstroke in bringing business into the UK.  Previous cases of that have had a real effect and it's a trick Ireland used really well.  Will certainly see an impact, how big that impact will remain to be seen.  Also very good for those on low wages like me who will benefit from the tax personal allowance going up.

I'm going on what I read in the Liberal Democrat manifesto, what he wrote about the economy was simply birlliant, his past works inclluding the Storm is a personal faviourite. Since the Coalition however he has become somewhat a bit dim witted.

Fuly agree with what you write about the budget, just a point to consider; 1979, 1980 and 1981 were dreadful for thatcher, it was the last years of her first Parliment that saw her transformation to keep her in power, she stills holds the titles of most unpopular and most popular prime minister since polling began, just because it isn't starting well for the Conservatives, doesn't mean its early enough to predict this whole parliment will be a total disaster.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 23, 2011, 06:28:11 pm by RedJ »
Wasn't it the Falklands and the \"splitters\" that caused Labour to lose? and the fact that the Labour manifesto was the most left wing of a major party for years? maybe ever?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 23, 2011, 06:30:15 pm by Filo »
A typical Tory Budget, giving absolutely nothing to the man in the street! giving with one hand whilst snatching back more with the other! A typical example is the 1p reduction in fuel duty, a good headline grabber! but what he fails to mention that in the June budget the VAT rise on fuel duty put 3p onto the price of a litre of petrol!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 23, 2011, 06:33:21 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=147687
Wasn't it the Falklands and the \"splitters\" that caused Labour to lose? and the fact that the Labour manifesto was the most left wing of a major party for years? maybe ever?

Yes it was those that was the pending factors of her first parliment, but then her Economic policy of standing away from the market did pay off (and her refusable attitude to do an Edward Heath and \"U-turn if you want to, the lady's not for turning\") and the economic boom that followed towards the end of her premiership, plus finally the defeat of the miners is what made her premiership remarkable. The 3 biggest triumphs: Faulklands, Economy turn-around and defeat of King Arthur.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 23, 2011, 06:36:35 pm by RedJ »
And the destruction of the lives of millions, too...

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 23, 2011, 06:41:50 pm by Mr1Croft »
Yes the fact of the biggest economic boom in history, and the fact of mortgages were now common to most families up and down the country destroyed the lives of millions.

Yes the poorest in society fell through the gaps and lost a lot in the 80's. But this thread is to focus on the Budget and Tories policies, not the ongoing debate of analysing Thatchers time in office.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 23, 2011, 06:45:29 pm by RedJ »
You mean she isn't now? Could've fooled me..

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 23, 2011, 06:52:02 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"Mr1Croft\" post=147690
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=147687

Yes it was those that was the pending factors of her first parliment, but then her Economic policy of standing away from the market did pay off (and her refusable attitude to do an Edward Heath and \"U-turn if you want to, the lady's not for turning\") and the economic boom that followed towards the end of her premiership, plus finally the defeat of the miners is what made her premiership remarkable. The 3 biggest triumphs: Faulklands, Economy turn-around and defeat of King Arthur.

The only thing remarkable about that bitch, is the fact she`s still breathing1 this country is sat on millions of tons of coal, she succeeded in all but putting a stop to the UK`s production of coal, preferring to import foreign coal instead, the only agenda she had was to avenge the downfall of the Heath government, she and her American crony McGreggor planned the strike well in advance of the Cortonwood announcement, they chose Cortonwood to close first knowing that they would get a walkout in the heartland of the Yorkshire coalfield. They could have chose a pit anywhere in the country, but they did n`t, for one reason, to insigate a strike!

LuckyGirl

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 23, 2011, 07:20:59 pm by LuckyGirl »
Increased tax allowance and community work will make no difference (by the way who will oversee it and at what cost???) to me at present. I will still be chasing a dwindling number of jobs, for which I am assured I am overqualified, and trying to survive.

After working since leaving school (including art time while attending university as a mature student) and having just 3 or 4 spells with no work - none of which lasted more than 2 months - I have now been unemployed for 16 months. It's demeaning and demoralising and all the government talk about is families struggling and benefit claimants as a drain.

Ok I'll do 'community work' but how will I find a 'proper job' as there will not be the 5 or 6 hours I spend most days on looking for work and completing pointless and fruitless applications for any job I think I have the slightest chance of getting (ageism is still out there whatever the legislation may say)

I have valuable experience and life experience, know what I want to do and am unable to change things because businesses are not recruiting, and there are going to be many more in the next few weeks when local government emloyees are made redundant.

Ok moan over. Just wish it wasn't International break as well 'cos I don't even get to listen in to a Rovers match this weekend.........

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 23, 2011, 07:26:30 pm by Filo »
Community work for benefits is a Tory way of under cutting the minimum wage, it will be exploited to the full by unscrupulous businesses!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 23, 2011, 08:24:49 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Hidden and glossed over in the Budget

Direct taxes (income tax ni etc) linked to the cpi.

In plain english income tax etc will rise at the rate of inflation so if your \"\"annual\"\" wage rise doesn't go up  by the rate of infalation  you will be worse off, so people start asking for above inflation wage rises thereby putting more pressure on the economy.

Perhaps the chancellor should have worked harder at Uni

I-was-there1976

« Reply #25 on March 24, 2011, 08:18:06 am by I-was-there1976 »
Quote from: \"Dagenham.Rover\" post=147709
Hidden and glossed over in the Budget

Direct taxes (income tax ni etc) linked to the cpi.

In plain english income tax etc will rise at the rate of inflation so if your \"\"annual\"\" wage rise doesn't go up  by the rate of infalation  you will be worse off, so people start asking for above inflation wage rises thereby putting more pressure on the economy.

Perhaps the chancellor should have worked harder at Uni

Pensioners winter fuel payment slashed by £100 and £50 depending on age. Apparantley wasnt in yesterdays bugdet to the nation but he did reveal it whilst in the toilet at 10pm last night

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 24, 2011, 09:19:22 am by Filo »
Last night, it also emerged that pensioners are to lose out on winter fuel “top-up” payments that help them when bills are rising. This means the over-80s will see their payment reduced from £400 to £300. The allowance paid to the over-60s will drop by £50 to £200.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/8403208/Budget-2011-George-Osborne-to-watch-petrol-companies-like-a-hawk.html

Just shows how deceitful the Tory`s are!

They shout from the rooftops how they`ve cut fuel duty by 1p but when you factor the recent VAT rise in, they`ve actually increased fuel duty by 2p I don`t know who they think they are trying to kid!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 24, 2011, 04:14:58 pm by RedJ »
The mugs who vote for them.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 25, 2011, 05:20:53 pm by Filo »
This tells all you need to know about shifty Gideon, could n`t lie straight in bed!

http://www.dailyfinance.co.uk/2011/03/25/treasury-tries-to-kill-budget-cost-story/?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4d8c600d5c9aa0ae,0

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 25, 2011, 05:53:17 pm by RedJ »
Surprise, bas**rd surprise.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012