Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:22:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I don`t like the sound of this  (Read 3471 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
I don`t like the sound of this
« on April 29, 2011, 01:18:49 pm by Filo »
SoD
\"We need to be harder to beat rather than score more goals on Saturday. You'd like to get the point to secure safety and we can only effect what we can affect. We kept our first clean sheet in a long time against Palace and scored two goals against Barnsley. If we can put the two together and keep a clean sheet and score goals, I'll be delighted. We need to err on the side of safety rather than be overly optimistic.\"

We all know we`re not good at defending, from those comments I`m expecting a negative line up!

What we must understand is that every goal we score also makes Sheff Utd`s task harder than it already is, I don`t think going out to defend for ninety minutes is a wise move

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: I don`t like the sound of this
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2011, 01:22:03 pm by Wellred »
Surely other than Sulli for Woods he has to play the same 11 that started at Barnsley?

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 29, 2011, 01:31:04 pm by Al4475 »
You'd certainly hope so Wellred wouldn't you? Heaven knows those lads that played at Oakwell deserve to start the next one too!

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 29, 2011, 02:21:55 pm by DonnyRTID »
Be surprised if Stock & Muzzy don't start, for Hird & Mason.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 29, 2011, 03:42:28 pm by mutleyrover »
I think we may see Muzzy in for Hird but not sure about Stock.  Thought he was poor agains Palace and Mason was arguably our best player at Jokewell.

Dimples-D

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 29, 2011, 04:00:38 pm by Dimples-D »
\"IF YOU WANT TO SEE FOOTBALL PLAYED WITHOUT FEAR, COME TO THE KEEPMOAT\" That was what SOD said 6 months ago. It was used in posters/adverts to attract new fans. Where did it all go wrong?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 29, 2011, 04:11:39 pm by Wellred »
If he leaves Mason out tomorrow then get ready for a backs to the wall negative display.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 29, 2011, 04:15:04 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=154077
If he leaves Mason out tomorrow then get ready for a backs to the wall negative display.

Hate to agree with you :laugh: but you're right in my opinion

redrover19

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 29, 2011, 04:24:22 pm by redrover19 »
i agree to keep mason in the team but when stocky plays well rovers play really well

he should be out their to lead by example

i would drop oster and bring stock back as oster has had some bellow par performances recently.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 29, 2011, 04:44:32 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Its all mind games, we're due a massive win, so enjoy the return of the red arrows. I'm putting money on this and on the away game at [strike]Yeovil[/strike] Wigan next season :whistle:

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 29, 2011, 04:48:03 pm by stuey »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=154059

What we must understand is that every goal we score also makes Sheff Utd`s task harder than it already is

True, but if we don't concede, it'll make Sheff Utd's task impossible. Not saying i agree with negative tactics stance, but i kind of understand it. 0-0 and we're safe. lose 5-4 and we're not.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 29, 2011, 05:01:41 pm by drfcsteve »
I think his point is that we can't be completely open and just let them run through our defence like against Hull, because as we saw it won't matter if we have 11 shots on target or whatever it was, we will get punished by the sides with quality in them, and Leicester definitely have quality players.

It's a delicate balance but I would rather us play a cautious, measured game and come out with a nil nil or a 1-1 and secure our championship status, than us go all guns blazing and end up getting punished by Yakubu and co.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 29, 2011, 05:09:12 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Quote from: \"drfcsteve\" post=154092
I think his point is that we can't be completely open and just let them run through our defence like against Hull, because as we saw it won't matter if we have 11 shots on target or whatever it was, we will get punished by the sides with quality in them, and Leicester definitely have quality players.

It's a delicate balance but I would rather us play a cautious, measured game and come out with a nil nil or a 1-1 and secure our championship status, than us go all guns blazing and end up getting punished by Yakubu and co.

Spot on steve.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 29, 2011, 05:15:51 pm by Wellred »
But we have proved all season that we cannot defend. Especially in the last 10 minutes of a game. Surely we are better being 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go then SOD makes his usual substitutions and we get the point we need? ;)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 29, 2011, 05:28:38 pm by hoolahoop »
Imo we should go for a 'measured' attack -minded type of game , we simply can't soak up sustained pressure against a team like the Foxes.........we need to score and then reassess the situation depending on their gameplan. However we can't wait until it's too late should things not be going our way and they crowd will be furious at 80+ min. subs UNLESS they are positive subs.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 29, 2011, 05:30:29 pm by BRMC_rover »
Quote from: \"redrover19\" post=154084
i agree to keep mason in the team but when stocky plays well rovers play really well

i would drop oster and bring stock back as oster has had some bellow par performances recently.

Are you drunk? He's our best player by a country mile. Does the creative bits from midfeild, always looks for the ball and keeps passing moves ticking over. Stock could come in for Hayter if anyone and have Euell playing just in front of Mason.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 29, 2011, 05:34:55 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=154099
Imo we should go for a 'measured' attack -minded type of game , we simply can't soak up sustained pressure against a team like the Foxes.........we need to score and then reassess the situation depending on their gameplan. However we can't wait until it's too late should things not be going our way and they crowd will be furious at 80+ min. subs UNLESS they are positive subs.

I agree we simply cannot afford to invite teams like the foxes onto us, play the game in their half!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 29, 2011, 05:36:11 pm by Al4475 »
I don't like the sound of Robins chucking 6 or 7 kids into his match squad for tomorrow either! I'm sure there were only 2 or 3 in the squad last week! :thumbdown:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 29, 2011, 05:42:23 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"Al4475\" post=154103
I don't like the sound of Robins chucking 6 or 7 kids into his match squad for tomorrow either! I'm sure there were only 2 or 3 in the squad last week! :thumbdown:

I don't agree with teams doing that at crucial stages of the season be it against us or other relegation candidates. Surely he won't do such a rash thing in a derby game .....would he ? :unsure:

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 29, 2011, 05:43:49 pm by BRMC_rover »
Quote from: \"Al4475\" post=154103

Your right. Should test his best 11. Main reason Tykes are taking a large following to the lane is because they want to see their team responsible for relegating the Blunts.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 29, 2011, 05:45:01 pm by Al4475 »
Just a snippet heard on Radio Sheff about 10 mins ago - Footy Heaven could be interesting!:S

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 29, 2011, 06:10:38 pm by RobTheRover »
Quote from: \"BRMC_rover\" post=154100

Are you drunk? He's our best player by a country mile. Does the creative bits from midfeild, always looks for the ball and keeps passing moves ticking over. Stock could come in for Hayter if anyone and have Euell playing just in front of Mason.

I agree BRMC, Oster was superb at Barnsley on Monday.

Also, I cant see what the fuss about Barnsley bringing a few kids through is all about.  Sheff U did it a few weeks ago and they went on a mini-winning streak, and most of those are still in the side (McGuire coming back in this weekend after his sending off).  Anyway, if Barnsley's kids are anything like Noble-Lazarus they should be able to see off Utd.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 29, 2011, 06:18:52 pm by Al4475 »
I agree with what you're saying RTR but it doesn't do my squeaky bum much good!:blink:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 29, 2011, 06:20:30 pm by The Red Baron »
Just looked through several previews and can't see anything about Robins fielding a load of kids.

He may have some in his squad, but that doesn't mean they're all going to play.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 29, 2011, 07:35:57 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Stock our best player simples

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 29, 2011, 07:51:13 pm by BigH »
And therein lies the dilemma.

Our final two games are against a couple of freescoring teams, neither of whom have solid defences. Do you go 'tight as' or think 'we can take these on let's go for it'? I think that SOD's instincts are right. We are at the business end of the season. Our destiny is in our own hands. We need a point and it's a cup final. I expect to see an 8-1-1 or 9-1 formation tomorrow.

Actually, I think it'll be nearer 4-5-1 as this will mean us defending further up the pitch. Expect to see Gillet up Yakubu's arse from the off and Stock shadowing Wellens. It won't be pretty but it'll be effective.

Game on.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 29, 2011, 07:56:33 pm by Boomstick »
We'll draw tomorrow with a brilliant 1st half performance culminating in a goal around 27 mins. The second half will be a collapse, with stupid subs, and they will score around 65 mins and pepper our goal with wave after wave of attacks. We will hang on and claim a point and safety.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 29, 2011, 08:12:15 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"BigH\" post=154139
And therein lies the dilemma.

Our final two games are against a couple of freescoring teams, neither of whom have solid defences. Do you go 'tight as' or think 'we can take these on let's go for it'? I think that SOD's instincts are right. We are at the business end of the season. Our destiny is in our own hands. We need a point and it's a cup final. I expect to see an 8-1-1 or 9-1 formation tomorrow.

Actually, I think it'll be nearer 4-5-1 as this will mean us defending further up the pitch. Expect to see Gillet up Yakubu's arse from the off and Stock shadowing Wellens. It won't be pretty but it'll be effective.

Game on.

He'll have a hard time doing that - Ritchie isn't playing, is he?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 29, 2011, 10:31:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Given the fact that out of the 900 minutes of action, we have been in front for precisely 27 minutes, the thought that we're going to go out, take hold of the game by the scruff of the neck and batter Leicester into submission is a triumph of hope over experience.

In our situation, we have little option but to try and keep it tight and grim out a 0-0. That will do very nicely for me.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 30, 2011, 07:34:54 am by Wellred »
But also given that in the last 17 games we have only been able to keep a clean sheet twice and in the process have conceded 32 goals it would appear to be imperative that we score at least one goal!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012