Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 08:26:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Radio Sheffield.  (Read 2491 times)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
Radio Sheffield.
« on April 30, 2011, 06:51:54 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
How are they going to play it next season then?

With their beloved Blades and Owls condemned to the lower leagues, Barnsley and Rovers are the only local representatives in the second tier of English Football.

Surely that means we will get a much higher percentage of coverage doesnt it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Radio Sheffield.
« Reply #1 on April 30, 2011, 06:53:04 pm by mushRTID »
To be honest I hope they both have good seasons next year.

Sick of hearing...\"Its a grumble Seth\"

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on April 30, 2011, 06:58:12 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=154433
How are they going to play it next season then?

With their beloved Blades and Owls condemned to the lower leagues, Barnsley and Rovers are the only local representatives in the second tier of English Football.

Surely that means we will get a much higher percentage of coverage doesnt it?

Does it balls. They still had a nothing game for Sheffield Wednesday as their AM commentary today when we had a crunch match at home.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2011, 07:15:38 pm by hoolahoop »
Quite right VJ perhaps we need to try and move our coverage to a more local and less biased station, we won't get as much coverage as we do now imo.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2011, 07:41:04 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It'd take a damn sight more than mere league positions to make it anything other than 'business as usual' on Radio Sheffield.

Marmite Man

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2011, 07:59:15 pm by Marmite Man »
One good thing about living outside the Radio Sheffield broadcast area is not having to put up with their horrendous biased coverage of Sheffield Wednesday and United.

Fat Seth doesnt even do a good job of hiding the fact he supports United.  He would rather commentate on a Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey game than the Rovers.  

I only heard they were covering Wednesday on AM when I was at rhe game today.  Are they stoned?    

Get the Rovers on Trax or Sine FM.. anything! If MasterBates in Leeds can blank out the Beeb and put his team on a different station, we should follow suit.

DN3Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2011, 08:04:45 pm by DN3Rover »
Yeah it also pees me off how biased they are too. I mean i was listening to the highlights of the goals in the game between Sheff U and Barnsley and they couldn't contain they're excitment when Blades scored and it was the total opposite when Barnsley did it was more like a groan for them :thumbdown:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 30, 2011, 08:04:57 pm by RedJ »
I'd rather us be on Trax. They give us quite a bit of coverage. Could Trax afford to do it?

VikingJames

« Reply #8 on April 30, 2011, 08:17:45 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"Marmite Man\" post=154495
One good thing about living outside the Radio Sheffield broadcast area is not having to put up with their horrendous biased coverage of Sheffield Wednesday and United.

Fat Seth doesnt even do a good job of hiding the fact he supports United.  He would rather commentate on a Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey game than the Rovers.  

I only heard they were covering Wednesday on AM when I was at rhe game today.  Are they stoned?    

Get the Rovers on Trax or Sine FM.. anything! If MasterBates in Leeds can blank out the Beeb and put his team on a different station, we should follow suit.

I always got the impression Seth was a Wednesday fan. :unsure:

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 30, 2011, 08:24:46 pm by Al4475 »
Fat Seth doesnt even do a good job of hiding the fact he supports United.

I always got the impression Seth was a Wednesday fan.

Funny that, I always got the impression he was a closet Rover!

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 30, 2011, 08:25:32 pm by Rios »
I'm sure I read about the BBC disolving the regional BBC radio stations as they were too costly and having a generic service with just local news, etc, like ITV do on the TV?  If that came to pass surely that would open up opportunities for the likes of Trax or other commercial radio groups to get involved in buying match rights which they probably can't afford at the moment when competing against the BBC.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 30, 2011, 08:26:04 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Al4475\" post=154521
Fat Seth doesnt even do a good job of hiding the fact he supports United.

I always got the impression Seth was a Wednesday fan.

Funny that, I always got the impression he was a closet Rover!

I always got the impression that he was a prick. Wait..

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2011, 08:37:18 pm by Northants Nomad »
Sorry guys, but I've always found Seth to be OK. He works for BBC Radio Sheffield and, whether we like that or not, the agenda for that station will be 'Sheffield-first, rest of the region second' - Seth will have to do what he is told, like all employees of any organisation. I've never heard him say anything critical of Rovers other than where we have deserved it.

When Doncaster is a big enough town, or possibly a city, it might have its own radio station of the BBC Sheffield ilk. Unti such time we have to accept that we are piggy-backing on a radio station that has been set up to serve the city of Sheffield and its TWO football teams. We, Barnsley, Rotherham etc will ALWAYS be second choice. Personally, I have no issues with that. It hasn't stopped our progress; it hasn't given Sheffield U/Weds any advantage and the league statuses from next season prove this. I'm quite happy for us to fly (and grow) below the Radar of Deedar or any other radio station.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2011, 08:39:16 pm by RedJ »
It's for all of South Yorkshire though EIW - it's just based in Sheffied..

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2011, 08:40:59 pm by DaveDRFC »
Quote from: \"Exiled in Wiltshire\" post=154529
Sorry guys, but I've always found Seth to be OK. He works for BBC Radio Sheffield and, whether we like that or not, the agenda for that station will be 'Sheffield-first, rest of the region second' - Seth will have to do what he is told, like all employees of any organisation. I've never heard him say anything critical of Rovers other than where we have deserved it.

When Doncaster is a big enough town, or possibly a city, it might have its own radio station of the BBC Sheffield ilk. Unti such time we have to accept that we are piggy-backing on a radio station that has been set up to serve the city of Sheffield and its TWO football teams. We, Barnsley, Rotherham etc will ALWAYS be second choice. Personally, I have no issues with that. It hasn't stopped our progress; it hasn't given Sheffield U/Weds any advantage and the league statuses from next season prove this. I'm quite happy for us to fly (and grow) below the Radar of Deedar or any other radio station.

Couldn't agree more, the name sort of gives it away where their priorities lie.

As for Seth and who he supports, I saw him in the Subway near where I work the other week wearing a Rovers jacket, but I suspect this is due to it being a freebie rather than any affection for us!

VikingJames

« Reply #15 on April 30, 2011, 08:41:04 pm by VikingJames »
I don't really mind the Radio Sheffield coverage per se. But I was a bit disappointed today that their coverage was heavily in favour of Sheffield United completing their \"miracle escape\" at the expense of Rovers. There wasn't much about how it'd be terrible if Rovers went down, it was all about how amazing it'd be for Sheffield United to stay up.

I generally like their coverage, but when it comes to the crunch, they seem to favour the interests of Sheffield United over us. I'd like to see a bit more balance tbh. I know it's a Sheffield station and they are their main two clubs, but if they're going to cover the other South Yorkshire teams, they should at least try not to make it obvious that they hold the Sheffield clubs' interests higher than the others.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 30, 2011, 08:51:35 pm by Barmby Rover »
It hardly boils down to the individual presenters. If it were Seth Bennet then he is a Steelers and a Speedway fan before any football team. The issue is not with the presenters but the stations editorial policy. They will always favour the Sheffield teams because they are chasing ratings rather than serving the public. Sheffield teams have more supporters, they ring P or G more often than the other clubs so therefore they only cater for them. That is not their brief, they are a local radio service for S.Yorkshire and N.Derbyshire. They do not do that service at all correctly and do not carry the right balance. The demise of the two Sheffield clubs will demonstrate that that is the case and then we can use the evidence of their own bias to say that they are breaking their purpose in this area and so they should lose their licence and be replaced by another service. The sooner the better.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 30, 2011, 09:52:17 pm by MrFrost »

A big enough town. In terms of towns, there aren't many, if any bigger than Donny!

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2011, 10:04:33 pm by JonWallsend »

Spot on. We had all this paranoia regarding Radio Sheffield and Seth Bennett around christmas time and it was was quite frankly pathetic. Sheffield is a big city, with two football teams with considerably bigger followings(listeners), irrespective of what division they are competing in, than ourselves. That said if you call Radio Sheffield with a relevant, Rovers related point you will always be given airtime.

Let's enjoy our continued Championship status tonight instead of worrying about what the local media intend to do.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2011, 10:45:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

No, no NO!

There are 500k people in Sheffield. There are something like 900k other people in the Radio Sheffield area. It is NOT a station set up to serve Shefield. It is set up to serve South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire. The name of the station is irrelevant - EVERY person in the region pays a TV/Radio licence fee and it is totally unacceptable for Radio SY/North Derbys to decide to ustilise that income preferentially on two lower league clubs. We should BOMBARD them with phone calls and e-mails next season, insisting that they give preferential treament to the major clubs in the region.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 01, 2011, 12:06:27 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
How boring would it be with one dimensional coverage on Trax FM.

Radio Sheffield is what it is and it would be nothing without the coverage of all six teams. The banter and views from all fans makes it interesting.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 01, 2011, 07:24:36 am by jmt »
Seth is actually pro rovers, and went as far to say if he has a choice for his family it would be to watch rovers, in fact they all have said if they get the choice they would rather do a rovers game, because 9out of 10 you get a decent game. Not bad eh!
As for our coverage,we do ok. I just wish they do which ever team is away, unless it's a crunch match.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012