Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:13:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shackell  (Read 4673 times)

yapper1901

• Forum Member
Shackell
« on June 15, 2011, 11:47:39 am by yapper1901 »
i know a million is a lot in the championship and i know we cant afford the wages
but do you not think this is the bargain off the century if they get him for a million

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6990413,00.html

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: Shackell
« Reply #1 on June 15, 2011, 12:00:04 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"yapper1901\" post=161389
i know a million is a lot in the championship and i know we cant afford the wages
but do you not think this is the bargain off the century if they get him for a million

Err hoping we're going to get him not the Lambs.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 15, 2011, 12:05:37 pm by Alickismyhero »
I fully support JR and the Board keeping pay under control but the Shack would have been a key player for us last season. Lets face it he is out of our reach and Derby get the bargain we missed.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 15, 2011, 12:14:20 pm by bobbymax »
Unfortunately for Derby, they have a d**k of a manager and could buy up all the bargains in the Championship and still end up in the bottom half-dozen.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 15, 2011, 12:18:56 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
He got lucky with injuries this season.

Yes he was decent with us, but just like his loan spell where he struggled with injuries, he'd have spent the season in the stands just like the rest of our squad, so he wouldn't have been as much of a success like he was at Barnsley.

Plus he was shite against us at Oakwell.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 15, 2011, 03:02:18 pm by steve@dcfd »

Million is a lot in the championship for us and about five other teams but on average it is not over the amount for a majority of championship clubs. Brighton have just spent a million on Buckley from Watford and they hope to sign a player that will break that. Like Derby they have season ticket holders of over 15,000 not 3,500. We should have signed him last year he played over 85% of Barnsleys games which is far more than any of our centre halves and midfield players. So good luck to Jason like Matt Mills I believe he will progress in this division whether its with Derby we will wait and see.
But we cannot afford players of their calibre any more unless JR and the Board dip in their pockets. With financial constraints on supporters they cannot afford to renew ST or choosing to watch away games instead then JR will have to dig deeper to improve the squad. If they choose not to then its going to be a battle all seasons but support waining shows that other things are becoming more of a priority.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 15, 2011, 03:07:51 pm by benaldo »
Tom Glick has offered all this coming season ticket holders their money back if by the close of the transfer window they are honestly unhappy with the signings made. Bold words and looks like Derby have got the cheque book out. It's a gamble for them to spend big because they have been on a massive spending cut due to fears over finances apparently.
Shackell is a good player, but I'd rather he wasn't here than the club having to cut back in other areas just for one player......hang on.......where have I seen that before?

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 15, 2011, 03:47:30 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=161430
Tom Glick has offered all this coming season ticket holders their money back if by the close of the transfer window they are honestly unhappy with the signings made. Bold words and looks like Derby have got the cheque book out. It's a gamble for them to spend big because they have been on a massive spending cut due to fears over finances apparently.
Shackell is a good player, but I'd rather he wasn't here than the club having to cut back in other areas just for one player......hang on.......where have I seen that before?

Are we making cut backs in other areas for one player though?
I seem to remember Sharp was outside the budget agreed anyway, as that was a special circumstance....

Relatively speaking Derby actually haven't got their chequebook out.
Consider the saving on Savage's wages, then the few players they've already added will be rolled into that huge cost saving.

People talk about Bullards wages at Hull, but the Savage savings are now going to really help Derby.
And the fact that they have 3 times the number of season ticket holders means their budget is considerably larger than ours anyway.

For us to compare like with like, we really only have Barnsley as a benchmark.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 15, 2011, 04:03:58 pm by Berkshire Rover »
A million is only expensive if it's wasted.

Having had Billy on loan for a season we knew what we were getting in a Rovers shirt, spend a million on the transfer , another half a million on wages, he scores 15 goals in a lot less than a full season and we turn down bids of over 2 million.

So 15 goals, a hero for the fans, a profit on the deal.

As a comparison (and I wish the lad well) spend 100 k on Webster plus the same again possibly more on wages, hardly plays a game and goes on a free.

Which is the better bit of business?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 15, 2011, 04:44:53 pm by silent majority »
Derby are in the financial mire, so if the reports are true about a £1m purchase it will be the only one. Over the last 3 seasons Derby have had the benefit of parachute payments and they are now at an end. Talk to anybody connected with the club and you will see that they are on a very extensive cost cutting campaign.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 15, 2011, 08:11:05 pm by Drover »

Cannot say when we do not know how much the Dingles paid for him?I know his wages was declared to be silly money,but If I remember right the transfer fee was undisclosed which means either the Dingles did not want the public knowing how much they paid because it was ridiculously high or Wolves did not want the public knowing they let him go cheaply.Dingles have spent a million or more on one player before while in the championship,so whose to say Shackell did'nt cost them something around £500,000 - £1 Million?If so,then it's not a bargain money wise.What you can say for certain is,if Derby sign him they will get a very good player.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 15, 2011, 08:28:27 pm by benaldo »
Quote from: \"silent_majority\" post=161446
Derby are in the financial mire, so if the reports are true about a £1m purchase it will be the only one. Over the last 3 seasons Derby have had the benefit of parachute payments and they are now at an end. Talk to anybody connected with the club and you will see that they are on a very extensive cost cutting campaign.

Try reading the posts before writing one........

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 15, 2011, 08:39:12 pm by Rovers Return »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=161482

Benaldo, you are one hell of a rude sod........and I predict you have just picked a fight with the wrong one. I watch this space in anticipation.

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 15, 2011, 08:42:18 pm by george-friend »
Quote from: \"Rovers Return\" post=161485

Benaldo, you are one hell of a rude sod........and I predict you have just picked a fight with the wrong one. I watch this space in anticipation.

FIGHT !!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :aok: :aok: :aok: :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :chair:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 15, 2011, 09:22:40 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"Rovers Return\" post=161485

Although I don't always agree, I'd rather read his more abrupt posts then the majority of back slapping boys club b*llocks that the majority of posters on here seem to be a party too.

Are we making cut backs in other areas for one player though?
I seem to remember Sharp was outside the budget agreed anyway, as that was a special circumstance....

Sharps transfer fee was outside and was funded by the KM3.  As SOD confirmed last season Sharps wages are part of the normal playing budget.  That's why we ended up having to make do at centre half with cheap journeyman like Thomas and why there is still a lack of money this summer.  It's a fact of life not a moan that in order to have Sharp on our wage bill we have to make major sacrifices elsewhere.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 15, 2011, 10:50:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure there are many opinions and theories on this.

In my view losing Shackell at the time we did, had more of an adverse effect on ticket sales, than positive effect of signing Billy permanent later on.

I'm not suggesting that the board should have stumped up for the both of them however, I think you could tell from SODs disappointment in not getting 'his no 1 target' we were very close to landing him.

From what I've heard from more than one source he would have signed for a lot less than what Barnsley offered. I'm convinced that SOD was convinced he was going to sign for us and Barnsley caught us when that pen had gone missing !!

Even if that were exagerrated, if you think of the wages/fees spent trying to fill his void, the investment would have been worth it given his resale value.  

The thing is guys, I expect SOD/JR will have learned from that experience and will be following players around with a pen at the ready.

As we speak JR is probably hiding in a wheely bin waiting for a player to return from holiday and will pop out, contract and pen in hand, flashing those pearly whites.

VikingJames

« Reply #16 on June 15, 2011, 11:11:19 pm by VikingJames »
To be fair, I don't even think that we HAD to get Shackell. Surely there were other viable options out their at the time - we just put so much focus on trying to sign him that the other options had all passed us by once he decided to sign for Barnsley, and we ended up with Wayne Thomas! (And in the mean-time, we forgot that Gaz Roberts' contract needed renewing, and off he jolly well went as well!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 16, 2011, 12:23:32 am by silent majority »

Are you offering me advice? If so what kind of advice would that be? Etiquette perhaps?

Judging by your poor attempts at informing the general forum reading public on all things football by simply adopting a) a negative perspective on modern football, or b) recycling sound-bites you collect from the red top media, then I have nothing to learn from you.

I'm assuming that you are suggesting that your post referencing rumours of cost cutting at Pride Park precluded me from outlining why those cost cuts had come about, in fairness adding more detail to a subject that you had failed, quite clearly to elucidate on, or lack any insight into the issues at DCFC.

I do have the benefits of strong contacts at Derby, I could have posted much more, but chose not to out of courtesy to certain individuals. However what I did post was factual, not rumours.

Maybe there's a lesson for you to learn? I would start with acquiring a set of manners first before correcting others.

VikingJames

« Reply #18 on June 16, 2011, 12:43:39 am by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"silent_majority\" post=161513

Are you offering me advice? If so what kind of advice would that be? Etiquette perhaps?

Judging by your poor attempts at informing the general forum reading public on all things football by simply adopting a) a negative perspective on modern football, or b) recycling sound-bites you collect from the red top media, then I have nothing to learn from you.

I'm assuming that you are suggesting that your post referencing rumours of cost cutting at Pride Park precluded me from outlining why those cost cuts had come about, in fairness adding more detail to a subject that you had failed, quite clearly to elucidate on, or lack any insight into the issues at DCFC.

I do have the benefits of strong contacts at Derby, I could have posted much more, but chose not to out of courtesy to certain individuals. However what I did post was factual, not rumours.

Maybe there's a lesson for you to learn? I would start with acquiring a set of manners first before correcting others.

BOOM! :byebye

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 16, 2011, 07:08:03 am by Rios »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=161514

BOOM! :byebye

Maybe not Boom, but definitely 15 all!

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 16, 2011, 08:05:05 am by benaldo »

Look everyone, here's another one with \"Undisclosed links to certain individuals\" I'm guessing this individual is the same one as I know? He's about 12 years old, carries a luminous bag on his back. I don't know what time he gets to your house with your Daily Star, but it's about 8am at mine., though he looks like he needs a new push rod. Or perhaps you're Robbie Savages' hairdresser??

Like I've mentioned before my old sausage, I have NO links whatsoever with anyone of any importance at any football club in the known world, long may it remain that way. My \"Regurgitation of known news\" is purely because that's how people get to know things. Unlike your good self, I'm not sitting in the board room at Rovers/UEFA/FA headquarters with a piece of paper and a crayon in hand. I don't CREATE the news, I just read it and pass it on, I'm obviously not in the \"movers and shakers\" world that you bob around in. My views, though not always liked by all, are as valid as yours (though slightly less pompously). I think the only person I'd trust to tell me things as \"insider news\" is Gareth, certainly not your - massively informed - self.

And on a positive note, I hope there is some good news right around the corner...at least the paperboy seemed to think so this morning.

In closing, my original comment stands - Read others posts before you make yourself look a trifle silly again.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 16, 2011, 08:39:34 am by Rovers Return »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=161527

Look everyone, here's another one with \"Undisclosed links to certain individuals\" I'm guessing this individual is the same one as I know? He's about 12 years old, carries a luminous bag on his back. I don't know what time he gets to your house with your Daily Star, but it's about 8am at mine., though he looks like he needs a new push rod. Or perhaps you're Robbie Savages' hairdresser??

Like I've mentioned before my old sausage, I have NO links whatsoever with anyone of any importance at any football club in the known world, long may it remain that way. My \"Regurgitation of known news\" is purely because that's how people get to know things. Unlike your good self, I'm not sitting in the board room at Rovers/UEFA/FA headquarters with a piece of paper and a crayon in hand. I don't CREATE the news, I just read it and pass it on, I'm obviously not in the \"movers and shakers\" world that you bob around in. My views, though not always liked by all, are as valid as yours (though slightly less pompously). I think the only person I'd trust to tell me things as \"insider news\" is Gareth, certainly not your - massively informed - self.

And on a positive note, I hope there is some good news right around the corner...at least the paperboy seemed to think so this morning.

In closing, my original comment stands - Read others posts before you make yourself look a trifle silly again.

:laugh: I am amazed how ironic your reply is. Silent Majority is a well connected fellow and I dare say would conversate with Gareth on a regular basis and information would pass in both directions. Oh the joys of the keyboard discussions.....not! Tip: Try looking up his previous posts in other catagories.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 16, 2011, 11:14:27 am by silent majority »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=161527

Good morning to you too. Both barrels this morning I see, and again the old chestnut you use quite often when denigrating anybody who posts something you don't agree with.

I don't have to prove anything to you, but you should choose your enemies with a little more caution.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 16, 2011, 11:25:01 am by Kenny_Senior »
Deuce.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 16, 2011, 11:38:02 am by The L J Monk »
Quote from: \"Rovers Return\" post=161537
I am amazed how ironic your reply is. Silent Majority is a well connected fellow and I dare say would conversate with Gareth on a regular basis and information would pass in both directions. Oh the joys of the keyboard discussions.....not! Tip: Try looking up his previous posts in other catagories.

Welcome to the board Sarah Palin.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 16, 2011, 11:38:43 am by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"Kenny_Senior\" post=161574
Deuce.

Looks like its been postponed due to a spot of rain, scheduled to resume this afternoon...

VikingJames

« Reply #26 on June 16, 2011, 12:10:19 pm by VikingJames »
I can't even see what was silly about silent_majority's post in the first place? Anyone (Benaldo) care to point it out?

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 16, 2011, 12:19:14 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=161576
I am amazed how ironic your reply is. Silent Majority is a well connected fellow and I dare say would conversate with Gareth on a regular basis and information would pass in both directions. Oh the joys of the keyboard discussions.....not! Tip: Try looking up his previous posts in other catagories.

Genuinely made me belly laugh!

:laugh:

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 16, 2011, 02:16:41 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=161589
I can't even see what was silly about silent_majority's post in the first place? Anyone (Benaldo) care to point it out?

Me neither, he only stated a fact. I still don't get why SM would nee to be told to read he posts, he only builds on what was already stated. Wait a minute, thats what im doing...

Better get my tennis racket...

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 16, 2011, 03:40:08 pm by Rovers Return »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=161593
Quote from: \"The L J Monk\" post=161576

Genuinely made me belly laugh!

:laugh:

:laugh: And me!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012