Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:41:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It's nice to feel loved  (Read 2168 times)

German Rover

• Forum Member
It's nice to feel loved
« on June 17, 2011, 08:21:24 am by German Rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

German Rover

• Forum Member
Re: It's nice to feel loved
« Reply #1 on June 17, 2011, 08:22:46 am by German Rover »
b*llocks these bas**rd links look at brightons OS to see the love in beginning,

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 17, 2011, 08:24:43 am by Kenny_Senior »
In a wonderful twist of fate, Albion's first historic fixture at the American Express Community Stadium will be against Doncaster Rovers - the club's opponents in the last-ever game at the Goldstone Ground in 1997.

Since that emotional day 14 years ago the two clubs have developed a lasting bond and rapport, as fans of both teams suffered from mismanagement during the 1990s which threatened their respective clubs' very existence.

Many Rovers fans attended the original Fans United day at the Goldstone Ground in 1997, and a year later at the Priestfield a second Fans United day was organised by supporters of the two clubs to highlight Doncaster's cause.

Rovers themselves won their own battle for a new home, moving into the superb new Keepmoat Stadium in 2007, but continued to support Albion in their battle for a new home through the nine-year Falmer For All campaign.

Managing Director Ken Brown said, \"This is a great first fixture. Doncaster are a club with whom we have a fantastic rapport, and of course everyone in football knows of the bond between Albion and Rovers fans.

\"Just like the club's last game at the Goldstone it is sure to be an emotional day - but of course with very different emotions as the club and the fans complete a 14-year journey.\"

Albion supporter John Baine, an organiser of the Fans United movement, commented, \"That is absolutely fantastic news. It is the most brilliant irony, and the Football League computer has been very kind to us.

\"It will be a wonderful celebration for us, I am sure with lots of support from Donny fans. We couldn't have wished for a better opening and it will be a fantastic day for football and the Albion.\"

The first away match, a week later, will be against south-coast rivals Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 17, 2011, 08:38:39 am by Dutch Uncle »
Nice how the away match at local rivals Portsmouth barely rates a mention!

Someone at the Football League has a soul - bet they don't stay there long

The head says it is the very worst time to play Brighton  - the heart totally overrules - bring it on :scarf:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 17, 2011, 10:51:03 am by RedJ »
Pleased to see romance and football still walk hand in hand (see what I did there? ;) )

VikingJames

« Reply #5 on June 17, 2011, 10:57:14 am by VikingJames »
Am I the only one who is very unhappy (borderline angry) about our first game?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 17, 2011, 11:00:29 am by RedJ »
I'm a tad irritated as they'll probably beat us (hopefully not!), all things considered, but pleased we'll be their first home game at the ground.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 17, 2011, 11:36:23 am by VivaRovers »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=161881

Yes... its the best fixture we could've possibly had

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 17, 2011, 11:54:49 am by RobTheRover »

Why?  We have to play every team home and away in a season, and there will be times when we couldnt ask for a better time to play some of those teams.  I think we will be good for at least a point there.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 17, 2011, 12:02:33 pm by The L J Monk »
Agree somewhat, as in West Ham early on is a great shout as they're likely to be a team in transition.

However: Brighton have got the momentum of their promotion behind them; will have a brand new stadium packed to the rafters; and will probably be at full strength. I'd preferred to have played them later on in the season from a competition point of view; however I can see why from a sentimental point of view it's a cracking fixture.

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 17, 2011, 12:07:47 pm by DRFC-PERKINS »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=161907
Why?  We have to play every team home and away in a season, and there will be times when we couldnt ask for a better time to play some of those teams.  I think we will be good for at least a point there.

Agree Rob, as said by many of us 'we're jut a pub team having a laugh', long may the dream continue.

VikingJames

« Reply #11 on June 17, 2011, 12:11:32 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=161896

Because IMO it's the worst possible time to play Brighton. From a footballing perspective and leaving all the sentimental nonsense aside, it's a terrible fixture. They are coming up from the division below which they won at a canter, giving them real momentum coming into this season, plus, its their first game at the Amex, so a huge capacity crowd will be there to back them and throw their weight behind trying to win this first fixture. They know it's a winnable game so that'll probably raise them even more. Plus, who wants to travel the length of the country for the first game of the season... I know I don't.

But don't let any of that get in the way of a nice fairytale.

Rosso Exile Deux

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 17, 2011, 12:32:55 pm by Rosso Exile Deux »
... so a huge capacity crowd will be there to back them... .

They might not back them for the whole season but there will be a huge capacity crowd for all their home matches as they've sold all their season tickets and have a waiting list.

VikingJames

« Reply #13 on June 17, 2011, 12:34:44 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"Rosso Exile Deux\" post=161935
... so a huge capacity crowd will be there to back them... .

They might not back them for the whole season but there will be a huge capacity crowd for all their home matches as they've sold all their season tickets and have a waiting list.

That's the point. If they back them for any game this season, it's probably going to be this one.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 17, 2011, 04:02:01 pm by PDX_Rover »
It's brilliant IMO.  Brighton's stadium is really nice.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 17, 2011, 10:17:49 pm by nice one rovers »
I think its a terrible choice of date. It's the only away fixture that me ,the wife,& 3 kids REALLY wanted to go to.We were going to make a long weekend of it.  Also its the date of my niece's wedding in piggin' Donegal! A historic day though for those that go, hope you all enjoy it, (and that we get a win).

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 17, 2011, 10:50:12 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=161920
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=161896

Because IMO it's the worst possible time to play Brighton. From a footballing perspective and leaving all the sentimental nonsense aside, it's a terrible fixture. They are coming up from the division below which they won at a canter, giving them real momentum coming into this season, plus, its their first game at the Amex, so a huge capacity crowd will be there to back them and throw their weight behind trying to win this first fixture. They know it's a winnable game so that'll probably raise them even more. Plus, who wants to travel the length of the country for the first game of the season... I know I don't.

But don't let any of that get in the way of a nice fairytale.

VJ I believe last season has finished , the momentum has gone and the weight of expectation now that they have been promoted could well work against them in their first game.
It's a new season, a fresh start but you know well that our lads will be well fired up for this one bearing in mind the rapport between the clubs it's great to be there to give them their first hiding.
We have nothing to be afraid of except the traffic getting there and the cost of hotels. The pressure is on them to get off to the very best of starts.
:rtid:

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 18, 2011, 05:36:10 am by Berkshire Rover »
I agree Hoola, i think it's the best time to play them, they already think it's a foregone conclusion that they'll win. A lot of teams struggle when they move grounds (we were a bit of an exception to that rule) add in all the emotion from people and it's easy to see the football being forgotten. I can't see SO'D letting that happen to our boys.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012