Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 01:10:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Darren Carter  (Read 2724 times)

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
Darren Carter
« on June 19, 2011, 12:50:51 pm by Kenny_Senior »
Apparently we're interested in him.

27-year-old central midfielder who has had numerous injury problems. Previous clubs include Birmingham, West Brom and Preston North End. Out of contract at Preston this summer and has a few clubs interested in him, though he has been offered a new contract at Deepdale, on reduced terms.

He's made 134 league starts and a further 82 substitute appearances since being given his debut by Birmingham City in 2002. Carter has also played in two Championship play-off finals and has an ability to score spectacular goals from long range.

He had a loan spell with Millwall last season; his last appearance coming in the 2-1 defeat at the Keepmoat, and also played against us in the 1-1 draw with Preston in April.

The lad is also a huge Birmingham City fan having first watched the club as a five-year-old, and was a regular on the terraces at St Andrews throughout the 90's.

Thoughts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

danrover82

• Forum Member
Re: Darren Carter
« Reply #1 on June 19, 2011, 01:17:53 pm by danrover82 »
Already got one or two injury prone midfielders. Dont need anymore!

Ollie the Legend!

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 19, 2011, 01:40:13 pm by Ollie the Legend! »
Any source to it? Or just something that's been heard?? Wouldn't mind getting him actually..... Even tho we have enough injury-prone players as dan said!!!! I think if he did come then if Sean could help him adapt to our style of play than he would be alright.

Ollie the Legend!

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 19, 2011, 02:17:47 pm by Ollie the Legend! »
Just seen that Shelton Martia follows him on twitter......

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 19, 2011, 02:43:02 pm by Kenny_Senior »
Quote from: \"Ollie the Legend!\" post=162305
Just seen that Shelton Martia follows him on twitter......

They played together at WBA. I wouldn't read anything more into that.

Watch this space though... ;)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 19, 2011, 02:59:47 pm by Jonathan »
People who want us to sign tall players will be pleased because he's 6ft 2.

Other than that I'm not sure, track record of being injured and not really doing a lot, albeit mostly in the Championship or Premiership at least.

jb stainforth

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 19, 2011, 04:09:06 pm by jb stainforth »
sod must think he is a doctor the amount of crocks he signs

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 19, 2011, 04:33:20 pm by MachoMadness »
Sign him up, he was always good on Footy Manager!

:chair:

In all seriousness though, someone with his injury record is not who we should be looking at. I know we might be after a direct replacement for Stock but that doesn't mean we need someone with his injury record too!

Pintolager

• Forum Member
Re: Get Carter
« Reply #8 on June 19, 2011, 04:59:37 pm by Pintolager »
One of the good films that starred Michael Caine!!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 19, 2011, 10:42:43 pm by Chris »
I know three PNE fans who say that he's absolute dog shit. Apparently he's on a pretty big wage at PNE too.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 20, 2011, 12:10:51 am by Drover »
Quote from: \"Chris\" post=162425
I know three PNE fans who say that he's absolute dog shit. Apparently he's on a pretty big wage at PNE too.

It's highly likely they thought the same about Stock when he was there,most PNE fans did at the time.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 20, 2011, 01:10:35 am by Chris »
Quote from: \"Drover\" post=162434

It's highly likely they thought the same about Stock when he was there,most PNE fans did at the time.

They didn't. In fact, I was told he was a \"class\" player when he was there but he had been unlucky with injuries...

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 20, 2011, 09:56:26 am by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"Pintolager\" post=162333

Did you know that the original book was set in Scunthorpe but when they came to do the film it was moved to Newcastle as Scunny 'wasn't senic enough'. Not a lot of people know that ......in a thin glass....

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 20, 2011, 10:04:10 am by Drover »
Quote from: \"wilts rover\" post=162449
Quote from: \"Pintolager\" post=162333

Did you know that the original book was set in Scunthorpe but when they came to do the film it was moved to Newcastle as Scunny 'wasn't senic enough'. Not a lot of people know that ......in a thin glass....

Well,they could'nt do the scene on the beach in Scunny could they :silly: .;)

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 20, 2011, 10:08:35 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Its true.  The author, Ted Lewis, was from Hull. Doncaster station gets a mention on the first page.  Its currently by my bedisde with the follow-up, Carter's Law.  The best British film of all time.  And I refuse to watch the Stallone version

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 20, 2011, 10:19:20 am by RobTheRover »
Quote from: \"Dr Fundlekrotch\" post=162451
Its true.  The author, Ted Lewis, was from Hull. Doncaster station gets a mention on the first page.  Its currently by my bedisde with the follow-up, Carter's Law.  The best British film of all time.  And I refuse to watch the Stallone version

Yes, the bit where he walks through the door and goes \"Yo, Adrian\" wasn't in the original, I'm sure.  Anyway, Stallone is in the boxing hall of fame now, presumably for his work in Death Race 2000.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 20, 2011, 03:56:36 pm by Rios »

Just spoken to a PNE season ticket holder at work.  He says he's a decent player on his day, can take a decent corner and free kick and if he catches one on his left foot it'll be a screamer in the top corner.  Does say however that he's not particularly mobile but does like to get stuck in.  He cost PNE around £1m in total, so he's got pedigree and he (according to my work collegue) is on £8k a week hence why his move to Millwall fell through.  Sounds like the destroyer type player we've been wanting for ages to me.

VikingJames

« Reply #17 on June 20, 2011, 04:12:45 pm by VikingJames »
I don't think he's a bad player by any means. He was supposed to be the next big thing when he broke through at Birmingham City, and their supporters were gutted when he left for West Brom.

I wouldn't break the bank to sign him, but if we can get him in on a fairly low wage, then I think he could be a decent option to have. Left footer to give us some balance, and a bit of extra height can't be a bad thing. He may be one of those players who Sean can turn into an asset.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012