Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:51:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: River Plate Relegated  (Read 3402 times)

Standanista

• Forum Member
River Plate Relegated
« on June 21, 2011, 11:02:57 pm by Standanista »
For anybody who follows South American football, what do you reckon to Los Millonarios getting relegated?

For the uninitiated: River Plate, record title winners in Argentina, the Buenos Aires club with a fair bit of British heritage, and arch rivals of the other BA giant, Boca Juniors, Maradona's club.

Alternatively, Argie footy having exported most of its decent players already to Europe, maybe this thread is destined to sink as fast, sin interesa, as the recent quality of the Argentine domestic league.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: River Plate Relegated
« Reply #1 on June 21, 2011, 11:05:53 pm by RobTheRover »
I love some of the shirts in the Argie league!  Almost all sponsors logo too

Edit: Newells Old Boys, to me the most utterly British of clubs - love a club badge with NOB on it too!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 21, 2011, 11:06:49 pm by RedJ »
Jesus Christ... I can honestly say I never saw that coming!

Don't follow SA football anymore, as you say most of the best players are this side of the pond now, but still, it's a big shock that they went down.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 21, 2011, 11:24:15 pm by Standanista »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=162786
I love some of the shirts in the Argie league!  Almost all sponsors logo too

Edit: Newells Old Boys, to me the most utterly British of clubs - love a club badge with NOB on it too!

Newell's are my team; I was never sure about turning up in the Salutation with a shirt with NOB on it however.

The irony - or maybe a relic of fierce rivalry - is that the two most British major clubs in Argentina, and there are plenty with our influence, happen to come from the same city, which is Rosario, which is either the 2nd or 3rd biggest city (alongside Cordoba) depending on who you listen to.

Newell's Old Boys were set up by a load of English lads who used to have a (by then I presume either retired or long dead) sports teacher called Newell.  Their arch rivals are Rosario Central, recently relegated to D2 but one of the bigger Argie clubs.  The Rosario Central club was entirely set up by English immigrant railway workers in 1889, 20 years after one Albert Jenkins set up a similar railway team at The Plant.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 21, 2011, 11:29:09 pm by RobTheRover »
10 years......

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 21, 2011, 11:41:46 pm by BRMC_rover »
Shocked. How can you go down with a team boasting Diego Buonanotte, Matias Almeyda, keeper Carrizo?

I dont know enough about the rest so that says alot. Ariel Ortega was class though.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 21, 2011, 11:53:03 pm by Standanista »
Well spotted that man!  This second bottle of fine Argentine Malbec may be to blame for bad adding up, sat as I am next door in Bolivia within Task Force reach of said country.

The Argies are actually a fine people once you get to know 'em, doubtless an educated race, but they have always had gaps in their schooling, ergo my own maths and the history that the gauchos get taught about their Falklands claim.

\"The Central Argentine Railway Athletic Club (ergo, Rosario Central, NOB-nemesis) was founded on December 24, 1889 by English railway workers of the British-owned Central Argentine Railway company.\" (Wiki)

End of the day, I like the Argies, having lived over here for years, BUT this no doubt sums it up for me if they wish to debate the Falklands issue, and they know it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc-pcrfE6eM

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 22, 2011, 06:23:13 am by DonnyNoel »
Even more surprising when the Argentine league's relegation rules are set up to stop the big boys getting relegated - something to do with points average over the last 6 seasons so even if a big side has one bad season they will stay up? But River have been struggling and changing managers for the last few seasons now.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 22, 2011, 07:34:08 am by AbsolutDRFC »
The sports shops are great in Buenos Aires, they just have every footy shirt (home and away) for all the teams in the top couple of divisions.
I had to be dragged out of some of them.

Managed to bag myself a Boca Jrs, River Plate, Newells & Velez Sarsfield shirt when I was there.

Standanista; presumably you've been to la bombonera? Awesome 3rd tier standing there. Completely mental.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 22, 2011, 09:54:24 am by VivaRovers »
Quote from: \"DonnyNoel\" post=162819
Even more surprising when the Argentine league's relegation rules are set up to stop the big boys getting relegated - something to do with points average over the last 6 seasons so even if a big side has one bad season they will stay up? But River have been struggling and changing managers for the last few seasons now.

Aye, I'm pretty sure its an average of points across the last three seasons to determine relegation, but yep implicated for the reasons you mention. Namely, to try and stop the big sides going down.

CAI Patagonia are my team, for reasons Dutch Uncle will understand

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 22, 2011, 10:08:26 am by Kenny_Senior »
How old is Almeyda these days? I thought he would have retired ages ago.

PS - For anybody who follows European football, Monaco & Deportivo La Coruna were both relegated from their domestic leagues this season. Both were unforunate as they both had a points tally that would usually see them safe in mid-table.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 22, 2011, 11:12:42 am by Dutch Uncle »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=162837
CAI Patagonia are my team, for reasons Dutch Uncle will understand

Yes Glen, but looking on their Wikipage I don't actually see a single player's name with any hint of Welsh ancestry......

Is there a side from Puerto Madryn? Llewellyn United? Valley Green Rovers?

Edit: Have just discovered Deportivo Madryn and Club Social y Atlético Guillermo Brown play in Purto Madryn, and who play in Torneo Argentino B and A respectively - are you a Glory Hunter Glen :lol:

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 22, 2011, 12:34:23 pm by VivaRovers »
Dutch, you have taught me the error of my ways...

How can I not support a team called Club Social y Atlético Guillermo Brown? In view of their name, history and kit (got to love a traditional slash) I'm defecting from CAI Patagonia. The three hours or so in which I was an ardent CAI fan were hugely important to me, but alas my heart resides in Puerto Madryn.

Viva Guillermo Brown!

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 22, 2011, 12:42:49 pm by VivaRovers »
The more I find out about this club the more I like about them...

Look even at the meeting at which they were formed in 1945 they jokingly told one guy it was fancy dress. I bet he regrets that sailor suit to this day.

Only downside I can find is that Frank Lampard plays for them

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 22, 2011, 12:46:24 pm by RedJ »
Only one player in the squad not from Argentina either. Daft to think that not so long ago most British clubs had near enough all British squads.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 22, 2011, 12:55:14 pm by VivaRovers »
They are in the third tier though RedJ... you'd find a fair few third tier UK clubs of which you could easily say the same. Or Rovers for that matter... aside from Shelton, they're all of British nationality

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 22, 2011, 01:02:05 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Glad to be of service Glen :thumbsup:

Me - I'm going for Deportivo Madryn of the 4th tier

Maybe we can draw swords over a local derby if there is a kind cup draw

P.S. If there had been a side called Valley Green Rovers there would have been no contest where my loyalties would lie...

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 22, 2011, 01:03:12 pm by VivaRovers »
Aside from Frank Lampard I only have one other reservation about Club Social y Atlético Guillermo Brown. They're just not passionate enough

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 22, 2011, 01:05:42 pm by VivaRovers »
Quote from: \"Dutch Uncle\" post=162885
Me - I'm going for Deportivo Madryn of the 4th tier

Maybe we can draw swords over a local derby if there is a kind cup draw

So long as you don't get the stewards involved

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 22, 2011, 01:07:34 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=162883
They are in the third tier though RedJ... you'd find a fair few third tier UK clubs of which you could easily say the same. Or Rovers for that matter... aside from Shelton, they're all of British nationality

Ah, that's true. But it seems to me (I may be wrong) that quite a few countries outside Europe have mainly domestic players filling their top flight.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 22, 2011, 01:08:53 pm by VivaRovers »
Money makes the world go round/players migrate Redj

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 22, 2011, 01:12:54 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=162891
Money makes the world go round/players migrate Redj

Very true. Too much so, as well.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 22, 2011, 03:29:42 pm by Standanista »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=162873
Viva Guillermo Brown!

Now you're talking, one of the GIANTS of the Liga de fútbol Valle del Chubut!

There are a couple of villages just outside Puerto Madryn where they still speak Welsh - Trelew and Gaiman.  It's bizarre seeing the bumper stickers on the cars, Argie flag on one side and the Welsh Dragon on the other.  I stayed with this old Argentine-Welsh lady in a B&B which could have come straight out the Rhymney Valley, once I told her my grandad's name had been Llewellyn Cyril Pugh I got an extra scone with my cream tea. :)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 22, 2011, 03:49:58 pm by not on facebook »
macc lads...great tunes and fantastic lyrics.

infact they warrant a thread too them sens.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 24, 2011, 08:41:37 am by Drover »
I don't follow South American football much,but read this thread with interest.I have just seen on sky news that River Plate fans are rioting outside the ground.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 24, 2011, 02:53:47 pm by Standanista »
Fans on the pitch attacking their own players.

They've actually got a slim chance of staying up, but it's unlikely.  The need to beat Belgrano by 3 goals on Sunday, otherwise that's it.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 24, 2011, 02:55:13 pm by RedJ »
How good are Belgrano?

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 24, 2011, 02:56:53 pm by Standanista »
Nowhere near as good as River traditionally but have been top flight club and just beat River 2-0.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 24, 2011, 03:01:27 pm by RedJ »
Hmm.. Hope River stay up. Nothing like beating the odds!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 24, 2011, 03:04:17 pm by RobTheRover »
Makes a change for Belgrano not to have that sinking feeling.....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012