Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:24:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ice Hockey - the fans' sport  (Read 1552 times)

WSBBA_Ben

• Forum Member
Ice Hockey - the fans' sport
« on June 24, 2011, 03:53:37 pm by WSBBA_Ben »
I've been a season ticket holder at the Rovers since the mid-90s, stood on the Pop side, loved the ride through the Conference, Division 3 was a joy....now in to the more recent years I have begun to not look forward to Saturday so much, the buzz of a 12pm start in the Park Hotel has been replaced with the worry of Rovers balancing the books, falling gates, awful home fans; as a fan, I still attend 100% of home games but the stress of a Saturday at the KMS has been softened by the buzz of a night at the Motorpoint Arena.

I found ice hockey in 1999 but have only recently started following it with more interest. I was wondering if any other Rovers fans also follow the hockey too? It's a cheaper and more action packed sports fix. Okay, when Rovers score I go absolutely spare and the passion I feel when we play a local derby is far above and beyond what I feel for the Elite League but it has allowed me to take stock and feel close to sport again.

I also wondered if anyone had any information on Sheffield Steeldogs of the EPL? I fancy catching some of their games but their website is pretty brief.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
Re: Ice Hockey - the fans' sport
« Reply #1 on June 24, 2011, 04:16:36 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »
I've been to a few Nottingham Panthers games but i'm not a die hard hockey fan

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 24, 2011, 09:48:10 pm by The Red Baron »
I was a regular at Solihull Barons games in the late 80s (hence the moniker) but I don't really follow it now. Cricket gives me a bit of a respite from the intensity of following Rovers- that and posting links to 80s New Wave acts!

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 25, 2011, 06:43:55 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
I have seen an NHL game and loved it, hoping to catch another when I am over in the States later this year

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 25, 2011, 07:59:06 pm by River Don »
I have seen a couple of Sheffield Steelers games. Nothing has the emotional pull of football, it's the worlds greatest game. I have no doubt.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 25, 2011, 08:00:49 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"River Don\" post=163955
I have seen a couple of Sheffield Steelers games. Nothing has the emotional pull of football, it's the worlds greatest game. I have no doubt.

Agreed. I used to play rugby as a lad and loved it, but going back to watch a game now isn't as good. Even at the big egg chasing clubs, it just isn't the same as football.

RED ARMY!!:scarf: :clapping:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 25, 2011, 08:21:39 pm by River Don »
I have read quite a lot about the history of football... And the difference about
 this game is that the rule makers from the start wanted to make it as simple as possible. They always wanted to cut down on rules. This is the genius of football. Utter genius.

When rules are at a minimum, just a framework, the game grows. It allows players to express themselves. It allows artistry. There aren't many sports that claim to be artistic. football does.

It's the greatest game.

It can't be beaten.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 26, 2011, 08:03:06 am by en aitch »
I've seen the Steelers a good few times - I quite enjoy the game - it's all the \"music\" and shite that puts me off.

I've done cricket - used to be a member at Yorkshire CCC - seen test matches & ODI's.
Horse Racing  - including the Derby (Epsom & The Curragh) Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, Grand National, Cheltenham etc.
Rugby - Union & League. Speedway. Motor Cycle Grand Prix. Rallying. .... and I did try a yacht once.

My next thing will probably be Armthorpe Welfare FC. - I keep going back to football - as said by River Don - it is simple. I don't know if it's the greatest game, but it certainly can draw emotion at all levels.

Sheffield Steeldogs - were the Scimitars - Sheffield Ice Hockey is plagued with cash problems - that's the full extent of my ability to respond to the initial post - sorry.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012