Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 04:19:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Naylor  (Read 2826 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Naylor
« on June 28, 2011, 07:52:00 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Will be the signing of the season simple as.

He brings experience, leadership and apart from that he is a bloody good lad that thinks nothing about signing autographs or chatting to fans (several scources confirmed this).

I am sure he will be a cult hero and I like the rest of the Rovers fans love a top bloke who works his arse off!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: Naylor
« Reply #1 on June 28, 2011, 08:10:49 pm by Wellred »
Bloody hell Nobby, I am getting worried. I actually agree with you.

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on June 28, 2011, 08:21:46 pm by VikingJames »
Am I the only one a bit concerned with this signing?

1) We already know that slow defenders get crucified in this league. We've not had a slow centre half do well for us at this level yet (IMO.)

2) He's 34. Which isn't a problem if it's a player who has given you a few years service prior to that, but signing him when he's 34 means we'll get 1 or 2 seasons out of him (at best) and then we'll have to look for ANOTHER replacement. It doesn't seem like a very economical way of doing things for a club on a tight budget.

I suppose time will tell.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 28, 2011, 08:22:29 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think it'll be a great signing, should do a great job I reckon.  Age is a number simple as, if he's good enough he's young enough.  Look at David Weir, champions league football at 41.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 28, 2011, 08:22:41 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=164504
What does that tell you? ;)

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 28, 2011, 08:26:05 pm by Wellred »
I think you have to slightly temper your ambitions. If he manages to keep us in this division for the next two seasons he will have more than paid his transfer fee/wages.
It will be harder than ever to stay in the championship this season and that should be our first priority. I believe Naylor will help us do that.

VikingJames

« Reply #6 on June 28, 2011, 08:27:10 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=164507
I think it'll be a great signing, should do a great job I reckon. Age is a number simple as, if he's good enough he's young enough.  Look at David Weir, champions league football at 41.

Not the same for every player though, is it?

His legs have gone due to his age and therefore it does matter. If he's not physically as sharp as he was/should be, then that will have an impact on his ability to be a Championship defender.

On the David Weir thing, fair enough he's still going at 41, but he's playing against pub standard strikers most weeks in the joke league SPL. And Rangers are tosh in the Champions League, so using him as an example is flawed if you ask me.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 28, 2011, 08:27:24 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=164508
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=164504
What does that tell you? ;)

Don't worry Dave I have booked an appointment at the doctors.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 28, 2011, 08:32:48 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
All he needs is a strong and fast CH + Friend!!! SImples ...its about partnerships!

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 28, 2011, 08:41:48 pm by Akinfenwa »
Don't see him as an improvement on Thomas really. I definately have doubts about the quality of this signing but I hope he proves me wrong.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #10 on June 28, 2011, 08:50:15 pm by I-was-there1976 »
he s a massive Leeds fan and all Leeds fans smell of wee

one of the above is false

Chrisd_123

« Reply #11 on June 28, 2011, 08:51:15 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Quote from: \"Akinfenwa\" post=164518
Don't see him as an improvement on Thomas really. I definately have doubts about the quality of this signing but I hope he proves me wrong.

Seriously?!?! I'd be a bloody improvement on Wayne Thomas. Naylor is a player with experience but also has the major factor of having a bit of a clue of what to do on a football pitch.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 28, 2011, 09:09:44 pm by hoolahoop »
Completely comfortable with this potential signing, we need experience and maturity in the team.........Naylor provides it. :)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 28, 2011, 09:10:32 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=164529
Completely comfortable with this potential signing, we need experience and maturity in the team.........Naylor provides it. :)

Totally agree

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 28, 2011, 09:11:47 pm by Akinfenwa »
Quote from: \"Chrisd_123\" post=164525

Seriously?!?! I'd be a bloody improvement on Wayne Thomas. Naylor is a player with experience but also has the major factor of having a bit of a clue of what to do on a football pitch.

Although Thomas was generally crap for us he has played around 8 or 9 seasons at Championship level so he had decent pedigree before he joined us. Naylor is of similar pedigree in my opinion and was by all accounts crap for Leeds in the Championship. That was before he got injured and missed a lot of the season (just what we need).

It seems to me that like Thomas, despite being a capable Championship defender for a lot of his career his legs have gone and just isn't good enough anymore. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong but these are my honest thoughts on this probable signing.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 28, 2011, 09:18:34 pm by Berkshire Rover »
I suspect that Naylors fitness, experience, ability, skill, knowledge, leadership etc. might have been things that have crossed SOD's mind. he does it for a living, I don't, so that's why if SOD thinks it's what we need then Richard Naylor will get my full support until proven different.

IN SOD I TRUST

:scarf:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 28, 2011, 09:25:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I hope this time we have found someone who can do what Graeme Lee did for us. A good leader, defender and ambassador. Without being blessed with pace he did the simple things well by taking up good positions and marshalled the line very well.

We didn't have a consistent back four last season never mind anyone who played often enough to organise at the back.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 28, 2011, 09:25:50 pm by dknward2 »
Think will have to wait and see my Leeds supporting mate is laughing his head off that we have signed him cause he says he is s**t cost more goals than he helped stop,  but then again what was the name of the last guy we got from Leeds that they said was s**t ????

Chrisd_123

« Reply #18 on June 28, 2011, 09:30:04 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Quote from: \"dknward2\" post=164537
Think will have to wait and see my Leeds supporting mate is laughing his head off that we have signed him cause he says he is s**t cost more goals than he helped stop,  but then again what was the name of the last guy we got from Leeds that they said was s**t ????

It's not just Leeds though. Ask most teams about a player they've just released/sold that your club has signed and they'll all more than likely say he's shit.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 28, 2011, 09:33:23 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Chrisd_123\" post=164538

It's not just Leeds though. Ask most teams about a player they've just released/sold that your club has signed and they'll all more than likely say he's shit.

Exactly. No one will admit to releasing someone who'd be a good signing.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 28, 2011, 09:34:57 pm by Barmby Rover »
Quote from: \"Berkshire Rover\" post=164533
I suspect that Naylors fitness, experience, ability, skill, knowledge, leadership etc. might have been things that have crossed SOD's mind. he does it for a living, I don't, so that's why if SOD thinks it's what we need then Richard Naylor will get my full support until proven different.

IN SOD I TRUST

:scarf:

I am with you all the way there BR, I will trust Sean's judgment. Leeds main problem last year was the back four, but Naylor is not the whole back four! Like any other \"unit\" in the team it depends on what each player brings to it, hopefully Sean sees something in him that will improve other players games, and will strengthen Naylors game. Keep the optimists happy Richard! :woohoo:

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 28, 2011, 11:03:08 pm by Drover »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=164506

1) We already know that slow defenders get crucified in this league. We've not had a slow centre half do well for us at this level yet (IMO).

2) He's 34. Which isn't a problem if it's a player who has given you a few years service prior to that, but signing him when he's 34 means we'll get 1 or 2 seasons out of him (at best) and then we'll have to look for ANOTHER replacement. It doesn't seem like a very economical way of doing things for a club on a tight budget.

Two of our best CH's recently are Mills and Shackell,and I don't think they were that fast,I feel it is the speed of their reactions and speed of making the right decisions that makes them such quality CH's.It's what made Mills play like an experienced mature defender while still 20/21 while with us.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 28, 2011, 11:08:15 pm by RedJ »
Shackell was/is fast.

VikingJames

« Reply #23 on June 28, 2011, 11:15:43 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"Drover\" post=164597

1) We already know that slow defenders get crucified in this league. We've not had a slow centre half do well for us at this level yet (IMO.)

Two of our best CH's recently are Mills and Shackell,and I don't think they were that fast,I feel it is the speed of their reactions and speed of making the right decisions that makes them such quality CH's.It's what made Mills play like an experienced mature defender while still 20/21 while with us.

Mills was quite fast. And Shackell can't have been a slouch - he outpaced Billy at the KMS last season.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 28, 2011, 11:17:04 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=164603
Quote from: \"Drover\" post=164597

Mills was quite fast. And Shackell can't have been a slouch - he outpaced Billy at the KMS last season.

He did it with ease too. Didn't even have to strain, whereas Billy was busting a gut to get there.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 29, 2011, 12:05:18 am by RobTheRover »

They said Sully was past it (in fact, that was their then manager, Ickle Dennis Wise.  I wonder what happened to him..... probably working weekends in JJB sports).  They also threw Sam Hird out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012