Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:43:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Andy Keogh / Mick McCarthy  (Read 3317 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Andy Keogh / Mick McCarthy
« on July 08, 2011, 06:48:20 pm by Donnywolf »
Throughout the Transfer window Mick McCarthy tried every club in the Premiership and Championship in an attempt to strengthen the Wolves squad ....

... but no matter WHO he tried nobody would take Andy Keogh off his hands

http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=55041

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

herouk87

• Forum Member
Re: Andy Keogh / Mick McCarthy
« Reply #1 on July 08, 2011, 07:16:36 pm by herouk87 »
These lot have clearly never seen some of the \"gems\" that we've had over the years.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 10, 2011, 09:40:16 am by Jonathan »
Very interesting to read those opinions on him, it would appear his confidence has been shot to pieces in recent times at Wolves, and from a couple of ill considered loan spells.

We've had the debate on how far SO'D can influence the game of a player to develop their potential. One thing I think is in little doubt is that he operates a management style and culture that encourages players to take on responsibility and have confidence in their own ability. I think Keogh is clearly in a position now where he needs a bit of encouragement and to be part of an environment where he will be trusted to make a positive contribution to the team.

When you further consider that his best mate plays here, with whom he formed a lethal partnership which made a name for both of them in the game, then you can only imagine that he would have to seriously consider a move here on the right terms. I think it's obvious that our fans would welcome him. The comments from the Wolves fans come as a real surprise, I think many of our supporters can still recall the game in which he destroyed us for Scunthorpe and caused all sorts of problems, he'd start here on a high footing and get the kind of backing that it seems has been missing for the last few years.

It all seems to make sense, all that remains is money I suppose. Keogh is still at an age whereby, similar to Sharp, if he could get back to playing the kind of football that he is clearly capable of, then his future transfer value would rocket and we would have another big asset on our hands. Given the increase to the budget from the Mills sell on clause, there are certainy worse ways of reinvesting the money than this.

If the price was reasonable then it almost seems like a no brainer. With only a year left on his contract, surely Wolves wouldn't be asking too much now?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 10, 2011, 10:11:30 am by jonnydog »
Apparently we've already been making enquiries...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11699_6252056,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/doncaster/8799297.stm

it appears a loan move though, not permanent! Although surely we would look at how much they would want for him, like you say Jonathan with only a year left on contract and seemingly out of favour and lack of interest surely the fee wouldn't be extortianate??

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 10, 2011, 10:15:04 am by Jonathan »
A loan move seems like nonsense from Wolves' perspective as he can walk away in a year.

From our perspective, I would worry that a return to form would put him in the shop window and out of our reach by either inflating his value in January, or alerting clubs with bigger wage budgets.

You'd expect now is the time to buy him really.

Edit - those links above to the loan story are from a year ago!

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 10, 2011, 10:35:07 am by Red wizard »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=166985
Apparently we've already been making enquiries...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11699_6252056,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/doncaster/8799297.stm

it appears a loan move though, not permanent! Although surely we would look at how much they would want for him, like you say Jonathan with only a year left on contract and seemingly out of favour and lack of interest surely the fee wouldn't be extortianate??
I dont know if you noticed but them links are frm last season when we had just singed Sharp. lol. I do think it would be a no brainer though and he would only make us stronger. Also i have no doubt at all he would get back to is best playing in our set up.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 10, 2011, 11:26:48 am by jonnydog »
Gald to see it only took 10 minutes for someone to notice  ;)

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 10, 2011, 12:51:34 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=166983
Very interesting to read those opinions on him, it would appear his confidence has been shot to pieces in recent times at Wolves, and from a couple of ill considered loan spells.

We've had the debate on how far SO'D can influence the game of a player to develop their potential. One thing I think is in little doubt is that he operates a management style and culture that encourages players to take on responsibility and have confidence in their own ability. I think Keogh is clearly in a position now where he needs a bit of encouragement and to be part of an environment where he will be trusted to make a positive contribution to the team.

When you further consider that his best mate plays here, with whom he formed a lethal partnership which made a name for both of them in the game, then you can only imagine that he would have to seriously consider a move here on the right terms. I think it's obvious that our fans would welcome him. The comments from the Wolves fans come as a real surprise, I think many of our supporters can still recall the game in which he destroyed us for Scunthorpe and caused all sorts of problems, he'd start here on a high footing and get the kind of backing that it seems has been missing for the last few years.

It all seems to make sense, all that remains is money I suppose. Keogh is still at an age whereby, similar to Sharp, if he could get back to playing the kind of football that he is clearly capable of, then his future transfer value would rocket and we would have another big asset on our hands. Given the increase to the budget from the Mills sell on clause, there are certainy worse ways of reinvesting the money than this.

If the price was reasonable then it almost seems like a no brainer. With only a year left on his contract, surely Wolves wouldn't be asking too much now?

His management style certainly couldn't help develop the potential or confidence of a certain Mr Killgallon could it!!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 10, 2011, 01:53:29 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=167006
His management style certainly couldn't help develop the potential or confidence of a certain Mr Killgallon could it!!

Pure assumption knowing nothing of Killgallons state of mind etc, but I think its the case that SOD can work with certain players and not with others. Some are borderline and I think he's fairly astute at not taking much of a risk on those so would only have them on loan.

Keogh may well be less of a risk than Killgallon in SOD's mind and from what I read, would fit well into our system. Assuming Billy's fitness, it would be him and Hayter who'd be in competition and I think it offers a very good second option.

He's enjoying a good wage at Wolves, so unlikely to be until the Jan window that he entertains a move to what on his present performance is likely to be a significant wage drop. Transfer fee somewhere in the region of £500k? Right now, I think a loan would be the most likely outcome.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 10, 2011, 02:35:34 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Bristol Red Rover\" post=167016
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=167006

Pure assumption knowing nothing of Killgallons state of mind etc, but I think its the case that SOD can work with certain players and not with others. Some are borderline and I think he's fairly astute at not taking much of a risk on those so would only have them on loan.

Keogh may well be less of a risk than Killgallon in SOD's mind and from what I read, would fit well into our system. Assuming Billy's fitness, it would be him and Hayter who'd be in competition and I think it offers a very good second option.

He's enjoying a good wage at Wolves, so unlikely to be until the Jan window that he entertains a move to what on his present performance is likely to be a significant wage drop. Transfer fee somewhere in the region of £500k? Right now, I think a loan would be the most likely outcome.

Could even give us an option to develop a new formation and work all three together. Certainly something different.

Anyone else reckon we could get him for a slightly knock down price based on the fact no one seems to want him and they want rid?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 10, 2011, 04:21:24 pm by graingrover »
We pussyfooted about last year to the extent that Mc Carthy publically stated ... you don't 'um and errr! you put in an offer that's how it works !!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 10, 2011, 04:25:23 pm by jonnydog »
BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 10, 2011, 04:31:20 pm by weststander »
Could be the answer to the attendance problem

\"SCORE THE GOALS AND THEY WILL COME!!!!\"

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 10, 2011, 04:36:00 pm by danumdon »
Quote from: \"graingrover\" post=167030
We pussyfooted about last year to the extent that Mc Carthy publically stated ... you don't 'um and errr! you put in an offer that's how it works !!

It may well have been a concerted affair by us to actual unstable the lad last year which in  a way worked and resulted in the poor performance he suffered.

Could it be that we now go back and finish what we started, we keep saying SOD works in unorthodox ways, have we all underestimated the lengths our management will go to to secure its targets.This could well have been used on other possibles to enable a good outcome.

You would now think it's time to strike, this lad could do a good job for us.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 10, 2011, 06:08:31 pm by DMnumber4 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg4hUCyD-iQ

The prospect of Sharp and Keogh working together based on this vid...:woohoo:

:rtid:

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 10, 2011, 06:25:53 pm by Kenny_Senior »
I'd take Keogh but the problem will be wages. If he starts demanding the salary he is on at Wolves, then we only have two hopes of signing him, bob hope and no hope.

That said, we still need to sign a solid centre half before we think about Keogh as that is the biggest priority.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 10, 2011, 06:28:44 pm by danrover82 »
If we buy him will that justify the increased ticket prices or even warrant another increase mid season?

;) ;)

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 10, 2011, 06:32:20 pm by Kenny_Senior »
They didn't increase the sales from the previous season when we signed Billy Sharp. ;)

Lewis Guys Dentist

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 10, 2011, 07:11:26 pm by Lewis Guys Dentist »
Personally I don't think we should sign/loan Keogh. We already have a good championship goalscorer. I think for us to be better in attack is to sign a bigger target man. Like a Henderson/Mellor/Parkin/Brown type player. (as discussed). But yes I would take Keogh but id prefer to spend the money on a taller target man.
Height is the way forward.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 10, 2011, 07:15:41 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Lewis Guys Dentist\" post=167075
Personally I don't think we should sign/loan Keogh. We already have a good championship goalscorer. I think for us to be better in attack is to sign a bigger target man. Like a Henderson/Mellor/Parkin/Brown type player. (as discussed). But yes I would take Keogh but id prefer to spend the money on a taller target man.

Vine?

Why not have both? At a club where we can't really get goals without Billy, why would we turn down the chance (if it arose) to get in another proven goalscorer?

Lewis Guys Dentist

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 10, 2011, 07:25:41 pm by Lewis Guys Dentist »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=167077

Vine?

Why not have both? At a club where we can't really get goals without Billy, why would we turn down the chance (if it arose) to get in another proven goalscorer?

Cardiff.. Bristol.. :blink:  Yes Im saying id take him. But I would prefer a target man. As for Vine you can't really judge him since he played 45 mins against that fantastic team at the other end of Donny. :dry: :dry:

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 10, 2011, 08:47:36 pm by jonnydog »

Vine?

Bang On RJ, We need someone ideally who can score his own goals, as well as set up Billy.

Look at the problems we had when Billy was cropped, no other target man and goals dried up quicker than a nuns chuff!!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 10, 2011, 09:16:36 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Lewis Guys Dentist\" post=167081

Vine?

Cardiff.. Bristol.. :blink:  Yes Im saying id take him. But I would prefer a target man. As for Vine you can't really judge him since he played 45 mins against that fantastic team at the other end of Donny. :dry: :dry:

Vine - hasn't he gone for millions before? I think he'd cut it to be honest..

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 10, 2011, 09:20:31 pm by george-friend »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=167102

Vine?

Yeah he has but does that instantly make him a good player?
I don't think so.

Still wouldn't mind him

Kenny_Senior

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 10, 2011, 09:21:48 pm by Kenny_Senior »
I swear RedJ must be one of those kids that flogs Milky bar's and looks like the old Ben Mitchell on EastEnders.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 10, 2011, 09:23:38 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"george-friend\" post=167104
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=167102

Vine?

Yeah he has but does that instantly make him a good player?
I don't think so.

Still wouldn't mind him

No, that's true. But I still think he's good enough. Like another poster said, watch the player rather than the game.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 10, 2011, 09:24:00 pm by Akinfenwa »
Keogh isn't a goalscorer however he's a quality partner for one. He's more of a build-up play man, good technical player and exceptional workrate.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 10, 2011, 10:35:54 pm by RobTheRover »
Whenever I saw Sharp and Keogh play together at Scunthorpe, Keogh was the one pulling out wide to receive the ball whilst Billy stayed central.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012