Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 01:27:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sky v Virgin  (Read 2515 times)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Sky v Virgin
« on July 16, 2011, 01:19:33 pm by 5minstogo »
I know this was mentioned recently.  Has anyone had any bad Virgin experiences and is the Tivo box any good?

Thinking of swapping from Sky seeing as they are a bit more expensive.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

herouk87

• Forum Member
Re: Sky v Virgin
« Reply #1 on July 16, 2011, 07:18:09 pm by herouk87 »
Quote from: \"5minstogo\" post=168171
I know this was mentioned recently.  Has anyone had any bad Virgin experiences and is the Tivo box any good?

Thinking of swapping from Sky seeing as they are a bit more expensive.

Bit personal don't ya think :blush:

I don't like Virgins customer services, i thought they were usless. The virgin TV service itself is pretty good tho. You might also consider BT. I've got my internet thru them and you can get sky sports 1 + 2 for about the same price as Virgin

Big Fat Daddy Heartbreaker

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 16, 2011, 07:50:05 pm by Big Fat Daddy Heartbreaker »
The TiVO box is fantastic.  Especially the remote record feature and the record 3 and watch one.

It also has a 1TB hard drive, Facebook, Twitter, iPlayer and you tube.  In a word its the future

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 17, 2011, 11:31:55 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Big Fat Daddy Heartbreaker\" post=168303
The TiVO box is fantastic.  Especially the remote record feature and the record 3 and watch one.

It also has a 1TB hard drive, Facebook, Twitter, iPlayer and you tube.  In a word its the future

Seconded.

I have found Virgin to be a revelation, great customer service, Cale so not interuption to service due to weather conditions, cheaper, you always rent the equipment so they will always repair / replace for free if a defects occurs, Sky cant offer a full broadband service in Doncaster.

Oh! and its cheaper than Sky, and has absolutely bugger all to do with Rupert Murdoch. No brainer really.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 18, 2011, 09:02:20 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Quote from: \"Big Fat Daddy Heartbreaker\" post=168303

I have a V+ box and cannot see the value in having a tivo at all.

Then again, I can't be bothered with facebook, twitter or youtube and I can already programme the V+ to record so don't really need to pay over the odds for iplayer either. All I can see is a box that will independently decide to record stuff that I'll end up having to continually delete.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 18, 2011, 11:13:31 am by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Glyn_Wigley\" post=168491

I have a V+ box and cannot see the value in having a tivo at all.

Then again, I can't be bothered with facebook, twitter or youtube and I can already programme the V+ to record so don't really need to pay over the odds for iplayer either. All I can see is a box that will independently decide to record stuff that I'll end up having to continually delete.

I wondered whether Id see the value in it as well.....until I got it. (They rang me - it cost me a one off fee of £49.99 and an extra £2.49 a month on top of my current services).

1 TB of storage means I can record pretty much everything in 3D, record 3 things at once and watch another, as well as the other features mentioned above.

The over riding advantage for me with the Tivo though, is that it contains its own modem, and therefore there is absolutely no sharing the TV and Broadband / phone service therefore giving bsolute optimum speeds.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 18, 2011, 12:44:22 pm by scuzzer »
How do you go on for multiple teles? I've currently got Sky with an extra box but one of them fed to 4 tv's around the house with 'magic eyes' but had been told this could not be replicated with Virgin. Its the only thing that's so far put me off as i'd love to take my direct debit away from Murdoch's grubby lot.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 18, 2011, 04:49:38 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=168502
1 TB of storage means I can record pretty much everything in 3D,

How do you manage that when Virgin doesn't do 3D?

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 18, 2011, 11:31:43 pm by Chris »
Virgin Media all the way. Unfortunately they can't provide TV in our area so we had to switch to Sky when we moved!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 19, 2011, 08:31:56 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"Glyn_Wigley\" post=168559

Also a 3D recording takes up no more space than a HD recording!

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 19, 2011, 11:41:06 am by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Glyn_Wigley\" post=168559

I meant HD :cry:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 19, 2011, 02:53:20 pm by Rios »
I loved Virgin when I lived in my previous place and could get cable.  Basic subscription and a hacked Chinese box and all sports, films and PPV for free... pity I had to move after only having it for a month!  :headbang:

I'd be amazed if they hadn't fixed the security and encryption issues by now though and if I moved back to a cable area I'd definitely pick it over Sky any day of the week.

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 19, 2011, 03:23:47 pm by dijit8 »
Looks like they have clamped down on the hacked boxes

Three men who took part in a massive fraud by selling set-top boxes which allowed people unlawful free access to Virgin Media's cable television channels have been jailed for a total of 15 years.

The men manufactured, imported and supplied more than 400,000 set-top boxes across the UK during a three-and-a-half year operation, a jury at Snaresbrook Crown Court was told.

The scam, described as the largest commercial fraud to have been prosecuted in the UK, is thought to have cost Virgin Media some £144 million a year.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012