Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:53:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: In talks with Macdonald  (Read 3971 times)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
In talks with Macdonald
« on July 20, 2011, 04:59:26 pm by roversontheup »
Just heard SOD on Radio Sheff saying we are in talks with MacDonald.  Says he lost his way at Burnley  but has been good in his time at Rovers and wants him back to the player that owen coyle signed.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: In talks with Macdonald
« Reply #1 on July 20, 2011, 05:36:23 pm by Wellred »
Well I hope he hasn't based his decision on last nights performance.

Lewis Guys Dentist

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 20, 2011, 05:52:34 pm by Lewis Guys Dentist »
More strength in depth which is good!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 20, 2011, 05:56:21 pm by Wellred »
Another Mark Wilson. Is that good?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 20, 2011, 06:01:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I wonder what his song's going to be ?

Lewis Guys Dentist

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 20, 2011, 06:13:18 pm by Lewis Guys Dentist »
Alot of people on here moan and moan. SOD stated he wants to make him into the player Owen Coyle signed. Sod works wonders with every player. So what makes you think he won't with McDonald?
End of day, it's pre season. Playing with a different team/different trialists so he's not going to be fantastic. If SOD sees something in him, so should we. Hence why he's one of the best managers in the league.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 20, 2011, 06:16:51 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Lewis Guys Dentist\" post=169036
Alot of people on here moan and moan. SOD stated he wants to make him into the player Owen Coyle signed. Sod works wonders with every player. So what makes you think he won't with McDonald?
End of day, it's pre season. Playing with a different team/different trialists so he's not going to be fantastic. If SOD sees something in him, so should we. Hence why he's one of the best managers in the league.

So SOD sees something in him does he?
I wonder what he saw in Webster, Souza, Thomas to name just 3?
Ah but then in SOD we trust eh? Get a life man/boy and think for yourself and not just follow on your hero's coat tail

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 20, 2011, 06:22:08 pm by Berkshire Rover »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=169037

Ah but then in SOD we trust eh? Get a life man/boy and think for yourself and not just follow on your hero's coat tail

If it came to a choice on judgement between SOD and you Wellred I don't think it would take me longvto make my mind up.

At the end of the day no manager gets every decision right or gets every layer to produce their best for them, but SOD gets it right a lot more than he gets it wrong, especially when he has time with them.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 20, 2011, 06:22:11 pm by dknward2 »

Ok then name a player that has got worse under SOD the players were already bad when they came or they didn't get chance to prove themselves

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 20, 2011, 06:22:11 pm by CJK »
Just to flip the coin Wellred - and SOD saw potential in Dumbuya, Friend and Sharp.

Two sides to every story.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 20, 2011, 06:23:01 pm by deebee »
To counter that rubbish he saw something in Muzzy, Friend, Mason (loan) Mills (loan) Gillet
Oh and Billy Sharp who was a bench warmer at Shef U.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 20, 2011, 06:27:10 pm by Wellred »
Actually the post wasn't meant to be aimed at SOD's judgement.

I just find it sad that some people on here don't have opinions of their own but are just like sheep who follow the leader. I am sure if Sod said we are going to experiment next season and sign one of the Dons forwards as a centre half there would be some who would say yes great idea.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 20, 2011, 06:29:49 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"dknward2\" post=169039

Ok then name a player that has got worse under SOD the players were already bad when they came or they didn't get chance to prove themselves

So why do we sign bad players?

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 20, 2011, 06:35:11 pm by Red wizard »
Money. Thats why. Webster he thought he could develop and maybe he would of if he could stay fit. Thomas was a panic buy imo and souza was a free agent and could be signed after the transfer window had closed. Had we not had so many injurys souza would never of been a rovers player.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 20, 2011, 07:31:33 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I think you can certainly add John Oster to the list of players who SO'D has brought the best out of.  He doesn't just do it with young up and comers like Muzzy.  I think Brian Stock and Richie Wellens weren't pulling any trees up at former clubs but shone brightly once Sean gave them back their belief.

So, for someone to have a positive opinion the same as someone elses means they're sheep does it?  What about moaners Wellred?  What do you call moaners who share the same opinion?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 20, 2011, 07:34:45 pm by Wellred »
Keep on clapping:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 20, 2011, 07:40:17 pm by GazLaz »
I don't think he develops players, we just play a system that allows certain players to play to their full potential.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 20, 2011, 07:47:33 pm by DonnyOsmond »
McDonald, Bouhenna and Mason will do for me. Vine and Deeney on loan would also be nice. Well, it doesn't have to be Deeney, just a left back.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 20, 2011, 08:05:16 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
You know for the best part of a decade we never seen eye to eye but your postings reach new depths ....SOD knows more about football in his little toe than you will ever do!
Do you have a positive bone in your body?

SOD has made superstars of most with a few exceptions .......but hey lets concentrate on the negatives !!

Complete fool!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 20, 2011, 08:15:14 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I saw him last night and thought average, but I won't judge a player on 45 minutes.  I saw Sharp have lots of games for the Blades and thought below average, different player when he got used to us.

If SOD's seen something in him in two weeks then he's a better judge than the 45 minutes I've seen of him, oh and I'm an accountant not a football manager.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 20, 2011, 08:20:47 pm by wing commander »
Everybody is entitled to there opinion and one opinion is no less valid than another...

SOD is a great manager for us but there is no doubt in my mind that the injury crisis last year saved his job, as for a time he looked lost,lonely and confused and made some very poor descisions,selections and subs...

However its a clean slate and in SOD we have to trust,however on this player i would have to disagree unless he releases Keegan..That would leave us with 3 similar type of players for one spot away from home....There are much more important positions to fill ie centreback and fullback for me on our budget first...

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 20, 2011, 08:23:29 pm by vaya »
Quote from: \"roversontheup\" post=169008
Just heard SOD on Radio Sheff saying we are in talks with MacDonald.  Says he lost his way at Burnley  but has been good in his time at Rovers and wants him back to the player that owen coyle signed.

\"lost his way at Burnley\"

Too right - tried to find the dressing room, ended up in the bar.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 20, 2011, 08:27:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
Well I went last night and Kevin played in a deep lying role and covered the defence picking out passes and playing it to other players. Having looked at our other central midfield players who are fit and can play only Gillett was has good last night. Oster was not and gave the ball away in the second half more times than Kevin. He has stature and also can cover the defence. So even when Stock is fitif he does he can still play or compete with Gillett for that role. He certainly better than Wilson and Keegan. With all the short players we have in our midfield and attacking midfield he will be a good player and can tackle and play the ball. Now thats not bad coming from a supporter who has been labelled has negative.
Our midfield three central midfield players need different qualities for different games and unless the board can afford better by forking out for a million plus player then I believe Sean can make him good again.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 20, 2011, 08:27:37 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=169078
You know for the best part of a decade we never seen eye to eye but your postings reach new depths ....SOD knows more about football in his little toe than you will ever do!

SOD has made superstars of most with a few exceptions .......but hey lets concentrate on the negatives !!

Complete fool!

Why do so many posters on here wear blinkers. Selective reading AGAIN I'm afraid Nobby.
If you read the posts PROPERLY I was not criticising SOD but merely trying to point out that certain individuals on here can never see anything wrong or disagree with anything SOD does or says.
The bloke is a good Manager but he does get things wrong every so often.
Some people on here will never accept that however.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 20, 2011, 08:42:34 pm by jonnydog »
Quote from: \"DonnyOsmond\" post=169077
McDonald, Bouhenna and Mason will do for me. Vine and Deeney on loan would also be nice. Well, it doesn't have to be Deeney, just a left back.

... On the subject of left backs, how has Spurr been getting on in the friendlies?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 20, 2011, 08:50:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm hoping McDonald gives is something a bit different in terms of his physique that we have been lacking at times. You certainly wouldn't describe him as a lightweight.

On the Mansfield website Gallery from last nights game, there are many more photo's than on DROS and McDonald features on many of them. I'm taking that as some evidence that he was in the thick of it during the game.

From what I've seen and heard in the past, he can play. Now he wouldn't be the first Rovers player who likes a drink AND wouldn't be the first to bugger off at half time, but let's hope SOD can get him involved enough to focus on playing well.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 20, 2011, 09:11:06 pm by RobTheRover »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=169085
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=169078

Complete fool!

Why do so many posters on here wear blinkers. Selective reading AGAIN I'm afraid Nobby.
If you read the posts PROPERLY I was not criticising SOD but merely trying to point out that certain individuals on here can never see anything wrong or disagree with anything SOD does or says.
The bloke is a good Manager but he does get things wrong every so often.

Some people on here will never accept that however.

Got to agree, Wellred.  SoD is not God. He is human, just like all us lot, and by that very definition is prone to the odd mistake.

His record at picking up decent players and wringing an extra 10+% out of them is certainly impressive, though.  It's the late subs and defensive last 5 minutes that are my biggest bugbears, but they are tiny issues.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 20, 2011, 09:13:57 pm by Jonathan »
A few goals from midfield like this one (see 30 seconds in) would certainly be welcome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYNBfhhcQcs

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 20, 2011, 09:14:07 pm by scuzzer »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=169095
I'm hoping McDonald gives is something a bit different in terms of his physique that we have been lacking at times. You certainly wouldn't describe him as a lightweight.

On the Mansfield website Gallery from last nights game, there are many more photo's than on DROS and McDonald features on many of them. I'm taking that as some evidence that he was in the thick of it during the game.

From what I've seen and heard in the past, he can play. Now he wouldn't be the first Rovers player who likes a drink AND wouldn't be the first to bugger off at half time, but let's hope SOD can get him involved enough to focus on playing well.

He didn't have a great game at Mansfield last night but for someone further up to compare him to Keegan it really is scandalous, he did more in a positive way in 45 minutes than Keegan has done since he appeared from the Emerald isle. I really cannot see for the life of me what he offers and hopefully if we're in for McDonald it signals he's not viewed as an option going forward.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 20, 2011, 09:26:29 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Very pleased to see that SO'D has apparently recognised the need for quality cover in central midfield.

I wonder if behind the scenes there is a bit of discreet clearout going on as targets are secured. One in, one out? Brown for Fairhurst, MacDonald for Wilson?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012