Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:30:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: keogh and macormack  (Read 2658 times)

I-was-there1976

keogh and macormack
« on August 21, 2011, 01:36:41 pm by I-was-there1976 »
look lively

this 2 upfront business could be the future

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: keogh and macormack
« Reply #1 on August 21, 2011, 01:40:06 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"I-was-there1976\" post=177890
look lively

this 2 upfront business could be the future

Cracking finish by Knisorbo (sp) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on August 21, 2011, 01:41:03 pm by VikingJames »
As much as I dislike Leeds, you can see why they always seem capable of scoring goals. They just seem to know what they're doing going forward - they utilise their wide men, get balls delivered into the box, and they give their strikers the sort of delivery they thrive upon. Take the Leeds goal today as an example - Snodgrass beats his full back, plays a one-two with Keogh who is good with the ball at his feet, and across the box to McCormack the poacher to finish it off.

Movement, pace, simple passing, and playing to your strengths.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 21, 2011, 01:46:52 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=177894
As much as I dislike Leeds, you can see why they always seem capable of scoring goals. They just seem to know what they're doing going forward - they utilise their wide men, get balls delivered into the box, and they give their strikers the sort of delivery they thrive upon. Take the Leeds goal today as an example - Snodgrass beats his full back, plays a one-two with Keogh who is good with the ball at his feet, and across the box to McCormack the poacher to finish it off.

My thoughts exactly, it`s something we very rarely do attack with pace and our balls into the box are woeful at times!

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on August 21, 2011, 01:50:52 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=177896

My thoughts exactly, it`s something we very rarely do attack with pace and our balls into the box are woeful at times!

That's what baffles me Filo. We've got Bennett and Barnes who both have the pace and delivery, and Copps who is a yard quicker than anyone else in his head, but how often do we see them stretching the opposition defence, using their pace/trickery, and giving the forwards some proper service?

I don't blame the individual players for that, I blame the way we play. Copps, Benno and Barnes all seem to be encouraged to check back and play the ball inside/backwards rather than having a proper go. That's what frustrates me about our attacking play.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 21, 2011, 01:54:55 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"VikingJames\" post=177897
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=177896

That's what baffles me Filo. We've got Bennett and Barnes who both have the pace and delivery, and Copps who is a yard quicker than anyone else in his head, but how often do we see them stretching the opposition defence, using their pace/trickery, and giving the forwards some proper service?

I don't blame the individual players for that, I blame the way we play. Copps, Benno and Barnes all seem to be encouraged to check back and play the ball inside/backwards rather than having a proper go. That's what frustrates me about our attacking play.

Again I agree with you, when we break out of defence, no one seems to want to use their pace to get up and support the player with the ball, like you say, we end up checking back and allowing the oppositions defenders to get themselves organized, watch other teams break against us and you`ll always see 2 or 3 players busting a gut to get forward

I-was-there1976

« Reply #6 on August 21, 2011, 01:56:25 pm by I-was-there1976 »
10 mins to go

time to bring these 2 off and put 2 defenders on

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 21, 2011, 01:59:48 pm by wabtec »
dont just bring any two off,bring off two midfielders who are absolutely running the game.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #8 on August 21, 2011, 02:08:54 pm by I-was-there1976 »
great game football when its played at speed and there s lot of goal mouth action

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 21, 2011, 02:10:22 pm by Akinfenwa »
They don't just pack in when they go behind either. They annoyingly seem to salvage points from losing positions quite often. Not like us who when we go 1-0 it is pretty much game over.

ruby12345

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 21, 2011, 02:26:25 pm by ruby12345 »
what annoys me is that when sharp hayter brown barnes are all fit we will still play with billy alone upfront.i keep hearing we play 4-3-3 but thats nonesense the 2 wide players in the 3 spend more time near our full backs than near sharp.we are on a terrible run of form so how about a change of tactics?just watched leeds play 4-4-2 and looked full of goal chances.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 21, 2011, 03:14:01 pm by Wellred »
How dare you criticise the way we play. SOD is God remember.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 21, 2011, 03:26:47 pm by steve@dcfd »
So let's see who is fit for Tuesday and with all the managers on this forum we could try and play another player along side Brown that's if he is fit. Who would that player be? Because we willmnot be seeing Billy or Hayter till at least the end of September. Does the manager risk putting the returning injured in the team. I would say no. So let's play devils advocate

Sullivan

Brown (MU player)(if he can play)
Hird(Naylor can not play two games and no else)
Friend
Spurr

Muzzy
Oster
Gillett
Bennett

Barnes
Brown

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 21, 2011, 03:31:36 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"steve@dcfd\" post=177921
So let's see who is fit for Tuesday and with all the managers on this forum we could try and play another player along side Brown that's if he is fit. Who would that player be? Because we willmnot be seeing Billy or Hayter till at least the end of September. Does the manager risk putting the returning injured in the team. I would say no. So let's play devils advocate

Sullivan

Brown (MU player)(if he can play)
Hird(Naylor can not play two games and no else)
Friend
Spurr

Muzzy
Oster
Gillett
Bennett

Barnes
Brown

Either you really don't understand or you are missing the points being raised completely.
It is not WHO we play but HOW we play.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 21, 2011, 03:33:32 pm by deebee »
What about playing the Chelsea lad in the centre of attack he has pace and trickery , can also score goals.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 21, 2011, 03:34:46 pm by steve@dcfd »
I understand but I given you a 442 team and the players who are available to play it.
The lad from Chelseas is not available is he.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 21, 2011, 03:36:35 pm by Wellred »
It's all irrelevant anyway. We know he isn't going to change the way we play.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 21, 2011, 03:38:04 pm by steve@dcfd »
That's why I put playing devils advocate.

ruby12345

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 21, 2011, 05:18:32 pm by ruby12345 »
so if its pretty much accepted that hes only ever going to play 1 up front what type of manager does that suggest he is?
all good managers dont only have plan a.
football is about adapting tactics to suit different situations
sean plays 1 up top whether we are winning losing or drawing

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 21, 2011, 05:40:57 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"ruby12345\" post=177977
so if its pretty much accepted that hes only ever going to play 1 up front what type of manager does that suggest he is?
all good managers dont only have plan a.
football is about adapting tactics to suit different situations
sean plays 1 up top whether we are winning losing or drawing

So last season when James Hayternwas joining Billy and both were scoring then we were playing more than one. The point is a majority of our attacking players are new they are learning each others movements. But let's not forget none of the players how ever good they are have been goal scorers in the past at this level. The best in our present line up if fit is James Coppinger followed closely by Chris Brown but neither has scored more than ten goals in a season. Infect last year was James best and he took the mantle when Billy was injured. I have said it all along since before pre season it's time for realism it's not negative. Without Billy and to a certain degree James we have not got a proven scorer. We couldn't afford one. So we are what we are. But when all are fit we still have weak link in the team. Straight down the middle in goalkeeper and centre half but to replace costs money we do not have. By the way we do not have another striker at the moment a part from an 18year old from Chelsea all the others are attacking mid fielders.

duggiesmyhero

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 21, 2011, 05:42:34 pm by duggiesmyhero »
Been saying it for past couple seasons. SOD is one dimensional in his tactics. Yes when it comes off its the best football weve ever seen, but for 75% of the time its side back side back boot long, to slow and predictable. We have the players to play an attacking 442 with billy(when fit) and brown as the 2 upfront with copps and bennett providing from the wings, with an abundance of central midfielders to back up the front 2, Sorry, slate me as much as you want but its time for a change. Thank you so much SOD its been a memorable few years but time to go(in my opionion)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 21, 2011, 05:56:47 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"duggiesmyhero\" post=177991
Been saying it for past couple seasons. SOD is one dimensional in his tactics. Yes when it comes off its the best football weve ever seen, but for 75% of the time its side back side back boot long, to slow and predictable. We have the players to play an attacking 442 with billy(when fit) and brown as the 2 upfront with copps and bennett providing from the wings, with an abundance of central midfielders to back up the front 2, Sorry, slate me as much as you want but its time for a change. Thank you so much SOD its been a memorable few years but time to go(in my opionion)

Whilst I DON'T agree with the main thrust of your post i.e 'SO'D should go', I do agree that he has to be more tactically versatile and consider circumstances, players available , opposition and state of the game in play. What's more he needs to reassess the way he looks at games and oppo NOW.
Otherwise it's like 'shackling' our players.

ruby12345

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 21, 2011, 06:01:26 pm by ruby12345 »
in the years hes been our boss how many times has he played with 2 strikers steve?racking your brain for a couple of occasions when he has dosent alter the fact that for most of the time we play with 1 isolated striker.when it was sharp alone his frustration was there for all to see.

ruby12345

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 21, 2011, 06:14:12 pm by ruby12345 »
i understand hayter and brown are not prolific goalscorers but the weight they would take of billy would be invaluable.most succesful teams can point to a double act upfront.

duggiesmyhero

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 21, 2011, 06:14:52 pm by duggiesmyhero »
My point exactly Ruby, no matter who the opposition, wether were winning or losing its 1 upfront, isolated for most parts of the game, Billys body language towards the end of last season said all you need to know about how he felt about it, Nothing will change untill there's a change of the manager or SOD changes his tactics, which will never happen

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 21, 2011, 06:27:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"duggiesmyhero\" post=178009
My point exactly Ruby, no matter who the opposition, wether were winning or losing its 1 upfront, isolated for most parts of the game, Billys body language towards the end of last season said all you need to know about how he felt about it, Nothing will change untill there's a change of the manager or SOD changes his tactics, which will never happen

Billy's body language was because he was not fit and he was playing with an injury . He wanted to get 20 goals and he
knew he could not. Let's not use every thing to make your point about two strikers. The squad at moment is not good enough to compete whatever formation you wish for, should be able to when every bodies  fit.

ruby12345

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 21, 2011, 06:56:31 pm by ruby12345 »
4-4-2 or 5-3-2 play for the 1st goal and u might be surprised what scoring 1st in games can do for a team providing we dont sit back after scoring

ruby12345

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 21, 2011, 07:03:39 pm by ruby12345 »
1 upfront has been used. 2 wins in god knows how many games.all people are saying is lets see a variation of tactics and we will see what that brings.im not one of the sod out gang but a manager with one set of tactics is a stubborn one eyed manager.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 21, 2011, 07:08:00 pm by steve@dcfd »
When the goalkeeper doesn't control his area and let's in goals then its hard to get in front. We conceded three goals on Saturday having two strikers would not have stopped that. signing a quality keeper and centre half in the summer would have helped. But we could not afford it so we had to get second or third or even fourth best. You reap what you sow. Or by the way it does not help in the attacking third that you lose your best four attacking players in three games. No side could do that in this division and keep on scoring. Please whether you like Sean or not is irrelevant get real. We are in the place we are because we have lost four players and the players we have are not at their level.

ruby12345

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 21, 2011, 07:16:59 pm by ruby12345 »
if we had set out to attack derby how do you know derby would have scored?we might have got the 1st goal.
if you are happy with the current sit back until we concede tactics then enjoy.
best form of defence is to attack(especially with our defence and keeper)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012