Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 04:24:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A match statistic pattern emerges  (Read 2663 times)

CJK

• Forum Member
A match statistic pattern emerges
« on August 28, 2011, 05:20:04 pm by CJK »
First of all let me just say that I have taken these stats from the BBC match reports and of course as we all know, they are never knowingly right. Anyway, lately it has struck me how opposing teams are not managing many shots on goal yet are managing to score and win the game. Whether this says something about the defence and in particular the man between the sticks I don't know.

Bristol City - 1 shot on target and 1 goal
Leeds - 4 shots on target and 2 goals
Derby - 6 shots on target and 3 goals
Forest - 2 shots on target and 1 goal
West Ham - 1 shot on target and 1 goal
Brighton - 10 shots on target and 2 goals

So as you can see, the only real anomaly in that set of data is the Brighton game who had a conversion rate of 20%. All the other teams we have played so far have managed at least 50% conversion rate and on two occasions Bristol and West Ham have managed 100%. Now I'm no mathematical boffin but I find this a bit worrying.

Am I looking at this with too much scrutiny or have I happened upon something that we really should be looking at in order to start moving up the league table?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dimples-D

• Forum Member
Re: A match statistic pattern emerges
« Reply #1 on August 28, 2011, 05:23:10 pm by Dimples-D »
West ham had 2 shots on target. Nolan's chip was going in til Woods turned it onto the bar.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 28, 2011, 06:57:52 pm by i_ateallthepies »
That is true Dimples, it was an outstanding save.

And rather than try to force the obvious critical point, those stats would also lead you to conclude what a solid job the defence has done this season, despite the results.

VikingJames

« Reply #3 on August 28, 2011, 08:09:26 pm by VikingJames »
The defence is there to keep shots on target to a minimum. The goalkeeper is there to save those shots that do evade the defence. It's clear that the defence is doing its bit in terms of keeping the number of shots on goal down, but we still keep leaking goals. Gives you a pretty good idea where the problem is.

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 28, 2011, 08:12:43 pm by Peebles Rover »
Almost 1 out of 2 shots on target goes in.  That doesnt sound good

I-was-there1976

« Reply #5 on August 28, 2011, 08:32:31 pm by I-was-there1976 »
the cream rises to the top and the shit usually finishes nr the bottom

that is all

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 28, 2011, 08:45:18 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"I-was-there1976\" post=180077
the cream rises to the top and the shit usually finishes nr the bottom

that is all

But that's were we are one reason we have a young  keeper who fits our wage bill and the board cannot afford better. It's not his fault really we should have better but the board will not pay.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #7 on August 28, 2011, 08:52:42 pm by I-was-there1976 »
totally agree but

a few days ago i asked can DRFC afford a bench warmer on 4k a week(Sullivan)

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 28, 2011, 09:13:36 pm by vaya »
Quote from: \"I-was-there1976\" post=180083
totally agree but

You're right. Let's not bother paying and subsequently playing any subs. First fve people through the gates get a spot on the bench.

This should also encourage ticket sales.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 28, 2011, 09:20:11 pm by grayx »
totally agree but

Valid point, not the best use of limited resources.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 28, 2011, 09:29:19 pm by vaya »
Sullivan's definately on £4k a week is he?

(NB - the answer to this doesn't include the words 'Football Manager')

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 29, 2011, 12:17:09 am by Jonathan »
totally agree but

He is on nothing like that amount.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 29, 2011, 05:08:03 pm by drfcsteve »
Looking at it another way, also taken from the BBC stats, since the Brighton game when we lost Billy and Hayter we have had 3 shots on target against West Ham (4 off target), 5 on target against Forest (5 off), 4 on target vs Derby (8 off), 11 on target against Leeds (6 off) and 7 on target vs Bristol (5 off). I've missed out Tranmere because they are a league one side.

Out of the 30 shots on target we've had in these games we've scored 2 goals, when SOD says it's not rocket science we're missing our goalscorer he's not kidding.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 29, 2011, 07:33:03 pm by wilts rover »
Quote from: \"CJK\" post=180000
First of all let me just say that I have taken these stats from the BBC match reports and of course as we all know, they are never knowingly right. Anyway, lately it has struck me how opposing teams are not managing many shots on goal yet are managing to score and win the game. Whether this says something about the defence and in particular the man between the sticks I don't know.

Bristol City - 1 shot on target and 1 goal
Leeds - 4 shots on target and 2 goals
Derby - 6 shots on target and 3 goals
Forest - 2 shots on target and 1 goal
West Ham - 1 shot on target and 1 goal
Brighton - 10 shots on target and 2 goals

So as you can see, the only real anomaly in that set of data is the Brighton game who had a conversion rate of 20%. All the other teams we have played so far have managed at least 50% conversion rate and on two occasions Bristol and West Ham have managed 100%. Now I'm no mathematical boffin but I find this a bit worrying.

Am I looking at this with too much scrutiny or have I happened upon something that we really should be looking at in order to start moving up the league table?

another couple of stats for you that we need to be looking at to move up the table - who scored those goals:
Bristol City - 1 shot on target and 1 goal (winger)
Leeds - 4 shots on target and 2 goals (winger/forward)
Derby - 6 shots on target and 3 goals (midfield/winger/forward)
Forest - 2 shots on target and 1 goal (fullback)
West Ham - 1 shot on target and 1 goal (midfield)
Brighton - 10 shots on target and 2 goals (winger/midfield)

the vast majority of goals conceeded have not come from opposition forwards - we need to have the rest of our team contributing more, Oster has played how many games with how many goals - and we need the rest of our outfield players to contribute to the defending as the defence seems to be playing its part in keeping the forward line out

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 29, 2011, 07:44:52 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"drfcsteve\" post=180141
Looking at it another way, also taken from the BBC stats, since the Brighton game when we lost Billy and Hayter we have had 3 shots on target against West Ham (4 off target), 5 on target against Forest (5 off), 4 on target vs Derby (8 off), 11 on target against Leeds (6 off) and 7 on target vs Bristol (5 off). I've missed out Tranmere because they are a league one side.

Out of the 30 shots on target we've had in these games we've scored 2 goals, when SOD says it's not rocket science we're missing our goalscorer he's not kidding.

I make that a 6.66% (recurring problem) conversion rate !!Shocking statistic. Instead of pissing about in training, I suggest we spend every moment of the training day in shooting practise. :cry:

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 29, 2011, 07:56:43 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=180159

I make that a 6.66% (recurring problem) conversion rate !!Shocking statistic. Instead of pissing about in training, I suggest we spend every moment of the training day in shooting practise. :cry:

I think you have a plan there Hoola, in fact I reckon SO'D got there just ahead of you.... in the last two games I've seen Wilson, Hayter and Muzzy take pot shots from outside the box.  Never seen any of them do it before.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 29, 2011, 08:02:42 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"i_ateallthepies\" post=180167
Quote from: \"hoolahoop\" post=180159

I think you have a plan there Hoola, in fact I reckon SO'D got there just ahead of you.... in the last two games I've seen Wilson, Hayter and Muzzy take pot shots from outside the box.  Never seen any of them do it before.

True I8 he seems to have sussed it , now we need to teach the players not to aim directly at the goalkeeper (yes I know it may be easier for some players to have a point of reference) or hit the woodwork like a chippie on coke.
Then and only then will we get some fecking goals. :headbang:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012