Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:20:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Did we miss a trick letting go of Gordon Greer  (Read 1773 times)

streatham dave

• VSC Member
Did we miss a trick letting go of Gordon Greer
« on November 06, 2011, 09:07:25 pm by streatham dave »
given not only that he scored today but in general how well he has done since leaving us and given the state of our defence. I know some will say don't look back but just wondered what people thought.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Did we miss a trick letting go of Gordon Greer
« Reply #1 on November 06, 2011, 09:35:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I'm pleased for him that he's done well since leaving us, but at the time we let him go I couldn't really disagree with the decision.

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 06, 2011, 10:39:50 pm by jonrover »
In a word yes. Had a decent pedigree but massively unlucky with injuries. I'd take him over every other centre half at the club

VikingJames

« Reply #3 on November 06, 2011, 11:54:00 pm by VikingJames »
He played about 8 games in 2 years. I think we can justify letting go.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 06, 2011, 11:57:10 pm by RedJ »
No. Similar to Brooker for me - liked the lad, always thought he'd end up doing something big (the goal against Leicester for Steve (I know, in the grand scheme of things, not THAT big, but still..)) but there's only so long you can hold onto a crock for. At least Stevie made a couple of runs in the team, if I remember rightly Greer was always out from once he got injured.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 07, 2011, 01:31:03 am by Viking Don »
I wonder if M. Woods is another. Good player, but is he worth paying for the amount of time on the pitch we've seen in the last gawd knows how long?

As for Greer, best move for both parties, had he stayed he'd probably still be on the physios table so good to see one of our crocks move onto better things.

I said a few days ago that I hope Diouf clicks and rips this league apart as we'd need 3 or 4 goals to get anything from a game, and yesterday kinda hasn't changed my mind, we definitely need a keeper and a better CH pairing. I think DS knows this so hopefully this is the area given priority, we aint gonna stay up with the defence we have now.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 07, 2011, 02:21:25 am by Mr1Croft »
I first watched him in the Freindly against Man U at the Keepmoat, and got to say he looked brilliant and stopped most of the Man U attacks with ease and made Anderson look like a lost child. One of my all time faviourite players for the Rovers despite playing a handful of games.

He was very very unlucky with joining the club in the same season as Mills and his injury whcih saw him out for around 15 months. We loaned him out to Swindon for a month in January 2009(who at the time were looking as good as relegated from league one) he instantly became captain and they soon came out of the drop zone. Their fans loved him so much that their supporters club funded his wages for him to extend his loan untill the end of April.

When you have a club like that doing that kind of commitment and his contract was soon up for renewal I knew he wasn't gonna stay. Since then he captained Swindon to the play-off final and Brighton into the Championship, and considering their other centre half is Lewis Dunk, that just goes to show how good he has been this season so far.

It was the same story at Brighton away, he bossed their backline and only let Sharp in twice (the miss and the goal) and looked head and shoulders over anything we have at the minute. I'd have him back in a heartbeat and I did feel we should have tried to hold onto him harder after his impressive form was possibly the deciding factor in keeping Swindon up in 2009 (and taking into account he had been out for 15 months makes it more impressive).

I have his shirt from Wolves away (the last game he played for Rovers) and went to Brighton hoping he would sign it, unfortunatley due to the accidents around the M25 our coach didn't roll in till half 2 so waiting for the revers fixture.

G'ON GORDON!!

newcomer12

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 07, 2011, 04:01:33 pm by newcomer12 »
I don't think we did he he only played about four times a year so we should of let him go i don't think we have lost anything

TinyPortal © 2005-2012