Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:12:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Boring Statistics  (Read 1541 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Boring Statistics
« on November 08, 2011, 03:13:21 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I was intrigued as to how we're doing now we're 16 games into the season so I thought I'd compare how we've done so far this season under SOD and under DS.  This is a very basic calculation though on a rather small sample size admittedly, but we are now over a third through the season and I'm very bored at work with little to do today :chair:

SOD
In SOD's 7 league games this season.
2 goals scored, 12 goals conceded, 1 point gained.

If that had continued over the season (clearly it wouldn't have) we'd have obtained 7 points, scoring 13 and conceding 79.

A rather harsh look at things after 7 days we clearly wouldn't have done that badly, I don't think it would even have been possible and obviously lots of variables that aren't taken into account (key players like Sharp missing, though to balance it Saunders has had also had players missing).

DS
Under DS this season he's had 9 league games.
11 goals scored, 16 goals conceded, 11 points gained.

Over a full season that would gain us 56 goals, 82 conceded, and 56 points.

If you combine the two together you get us coming out with 35 points as a whole team average, so we're clearly behind schedule.  However, if you assume we continue at the same average as under DS we'll end the season on 48 points, which would be cutting it fine on staying up.

Conclusion
These stats are nigh on pointless as football isn't as simple as stats.  However, we have shown an improvement under DS thus far but the improvement has to go that little bit further if we're to stay in this league.  Even so, the record under Saunders is an improvement on the last 12 months under SOD.  Can we maintain that improvement?  Very debatable.

Furthermore, the defensive side of things is as shocking as ever, conceding nigh on two goals a game whatever way you look at it.  But under Saunders the slight changes made so far have allowed us to score more goals.  Alright it's only 1.22 goals a game but that's better than what we were getting previous to that.

So there you go, some very basic, boring and pointless statistics and realistically this is something that we could only compare at the end of this season, it'd be interesting to compare SOD's first 9 with Saunders first 9 to see the effect both had at the start of their Rovers careers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

benaldo

• Forum Member
Re: Boring Statistics
« Reply #1 on November 08, 2011, 03:18:23 pm by benaldo »
Good report bfyp. I think you might find some who'll argue with it or even challenge the facts, but for me it's not rocket science. The moment Saunders came in things started to improve. Easy as that really isn't it.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 08, 2011, 04:05:15 pm by The L J Monk »
Difficult to compare as they played different standards of teams at different points of form (Brighton for example started like a house on fire, but have since hit hard times)

As I'm also bored at work I'll compare this season to last.

Sean 10/11 vs Dean 11/12

Palace 1 vs Palace 3
Hull 3 vs Hull 1
Leeds 1 vs Leeds 0
Portsmouth 3 vs Portsmouth 0
Coventry 1 vs Coventry 1
Middlesbrough 3 vs Middlesbrough 0
Ipswich 0 vs Ipswich 3

Total Sean 12 Dean 8.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 08, 2011, 04:15:13 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Interesting points LJ.

Be interesting to compare SOD's aswell from the season start.

Norwich 1 Brighton 0 Both finished top league 1
Porstmouth 0 West Ham 0 Both finished bottom Prem
Forest 1 vs Forest 0
Derby 3 vs Derby 0
Bristol C 1 vs Bristol C 1
Cardiff 0 vs Cardiff 0
Reading 0 vs Reading 0

Total 6 vs 1

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 08, 2011, 04:15:40 pm by dickos1 »
Sorry to inform u but Peterborough weren't in our division last year!!! I'm sure if u edit it quickly nobody will notice!!!!!

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 08, 2011, 04:21:44 pm by Wild Rover »
Cant compare those stats as not one team is same team. If players on both sides were same it could be done ;) ;) ;)

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 08, 2011, 04:37:19 pm by The L J Monk »
Quote from: \"dickos1\" post=197738
Sorry to inform u but Peterborough weren't in our division last year!!! I'm sure if u edit it quickly nobody will notice!!!!!

Duly noted. Thankfully this robust model has been designed to be impervious to human error and therefore holds up to a 3 point deduction from both parties.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 08, 2011, 08:21:06 pm by Chris »
\"Lies, damned lies, and statistics\".

TinyPortal © 2005-2012