Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:36:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Oi! VSC Where the hell have you been.  (Read 2446 times)

donnyjay

• Forum Member
Oi! VSC Where the hell have you been.
« on December 28, 2011, 12:21:25 am by donnyjay »
Your mother's been worried sick. We've been phoning round the hospitals. Would it have killed you to pick up a phone and let us know you were going away for a few days? No consideration. You treat this place like a hotel. You're grounded.

P.S.
    Kim Jong-Dead.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Adam

• Forum Member
Re: Oi! VSC Where the hell have you been.
« Reply #1 on December 28, 2011, 07:47:50 am by Adam »
Always been on a terrible host, not sure why.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 28, 2011, 09:50:40 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"Adam\" post=206351

You could always make suggestions as to which reliable host we could use, or is it easier to criticise from afar!

Adam

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 28, 2011, 10:09:33 am by Adam »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=206361

You could always make suggestions as to which reliable host we could use, or is it easier to criticise from afar!

I've offered to help in the past.

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on December 28, 2011, 03:14:22 pm by VikingJames »

Maybe he doesn't know of a more reliable host, but was just making an observation.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 28, 2011, 03:49:21 pm by Chris »

You have some serious issues.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 28, 2011, 03:50:37 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"Chris\" post=206438

You have some serious issues.

Meaning?

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 29, 2011, 12:23:06 pm by Thinwhiteduke »

Here's a suggestion - Rapidswitch Ltd.

Never had any issues, ever, with any of the forums / websites Ive visited which they host.

http://www.rapidswitch.com/

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 29, 2011, 02:26:34 pm by bobjimwilly »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=206636
Here's a suggestion - Rapidswitch Ltd.

Never had any issues, ever, with any of the forums / websites Ive visited which they host.

http://www.rapidswitch.com/

Thanks for that. We'll look into them. :thumbsup:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 29, 2011, 02:44:37 pm by bobjimwilly »
Just looked into Rapidswitch. They don't offer enough bandwith per month for what we need at the minute. Thanks for the suggestion though - we welcome all (sensible) input on this! :scarf:

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 29, 2011, 04:32:25 pm by Berkshire Rover »
Rob,

Stu (Sheepskin Stu) suggested One to me, he's a mod on a forum that has largecamountscof traffic and they have no issues with them.

:thumbsup:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 29, 2011, 04:54:02 pm by MrFrost »
I responded to your PM, awaiting a reply.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 29, 2011, 10:10:49 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=206677
Just looked into Rapidswitch. They don't offer enough bandwith per month for what we need at the minute. Thanks for the suggestion though - we welcome all (sensible) input on this! :scarf:

These then???......

https://www.vbulletin.com/

The power a whole host of Rock Band / Pop Band forums / messageboards...this being one of them......

http://www.ironmaiden.com/fanclub/index.php

Adam

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 30, 2011, 08:37:06 am by Adam »
Please at least look into vBulletin software. I use it extensively and it tops any other.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 30, 2011, 06:43:58 pm by bobjimwilly »
vbulletin is very good software, but if we can avoid using VSC funds for a CMS/forum solution, then all the better. For instance, I've used Simple Machines Forum combined with Simple Portal before and it worked really well, and it's free!

These solutions would almost certainly eliminate the problem we have at the minute with consuming so much server memory/bandwidth :thumbsup:

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 03, 2012, 08:21:18 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Quote from: \"bobjimwilly\" post=206895
vbulletin is very good software, but if we can avoid using VSC funds for a CMS/forum solution, then all the better. For instance, I've used Simple Machines Forum combined with Simple Portal before and it worked really well, and it's free!

These solutions would almost certainly eliminate the problem we have at the minute with consuming so much server memory/bandwidth :thumbsup:

Perhaps it would be worth consulting the membership on the question of how the VSC funds should be used, certainly in relation to the running of this forum anyway.
Whilst I do understand the primary purpose behind the existence of the VSC was to assist the club and provide a voice for the supporters, the forum itself is the means by which we are able to feel part of it, and I suspect if others feel the frustration I do when the forum plays up (irrespective of the recent three day episode), I suspect there may be a healthy proportion would agree it's time that the VSC gave the membership what they mostly are looking for when they pay their subscriptions.
I support the club by buying a season ticket and turning up and supporting the team, I joined the VSC because I felt I should contribute to its funds if I want a top service from it.  Unfortunately, a top service is not what I'm getting, and am feeling increasingly disillusioned by it.

I seem to recall, talk around the start of the season that there was to be a review of the aims and objectives of the VSC, I don't recall hearing anything since.  Surely, the service it provides to its members and contributors would be at the very heart of that agenda?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 03, 2012, 08:31:40 pm by RobTheRover »
Good points, Pie-eater.  I think you are quite right.

The main issue (to me) is that to change forum software is a significant task.  Sadly, Joomla and Kunena (which this site is built on) together seem to be a bit of a server resource hog.  When we built this site (whilst still nursing the old site through its final days) it took us about 4 weeks to get it all running and tested.  I'm not sure that amount of resource is available at the moment, although the desire to improve the site certainly is.

I think this needs to be our (internal) #1 issue at present.

Adam

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 04, 2012, 03:07:30 pm by Adam »
Not so sure why you have 2 separate systems running alongside each other - it'd be much easier with one.

It wouldn't be that bad though, I imagine the only real problem would be the database but I've never worked with Kunena before. Joomla would be easy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012