Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:54:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scrounging from the state!  (Read 944 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Scrounging from the state!
« on January 13, 2012, 12:49:35 am by Filo »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15486792

Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has claimed £535,000 of taxpayers' money over the last five years, government records have shown.

Baroness Thatcher, 86, who makes rare public appearances and suffers poor health, was paid from the public duties cost allowance available to ex-PMs.

Others to benefit have been her successor John Major, paid £490,000 in the last five years, and Tony Blair.

In 2008-9, Mr Blair claimed £169,076 - more than his Downing Street salary.

Since leaving office, Mr Blair, who ran the country for a decade from 1997, has claimed just under £273,000.

The system was set up by John Major in 1991, after one year in office, to reward former prime ministers for work including answering letters and attending public events.

In the past five years, the three former number 10 incumbents have cost the taxpayer in total more than £1.7m in public duty allowances

Don`t forget everyone, we`re all in this together!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Scrounging from the state!
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2012, 12:57:33 am by RobTheRover »
Hang on, she wasnt even in office when the scheme was introduced.  How can she be eligible.

I DEMAND SHE PAYS IT BACK!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: Scrounging from the state!
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2012, 09:05:31 am by Mr1Croft »
Major was in office for 7 years, the scheme was set up 1 year in so Thatcher only claimed £45,000 more despite having 6 years entitlement more than John.

Im guessing this was set up at the time when the countries finances were stable. Niether Blair nor Brown seemed in any rush to revert this over 13 years so I fail to see how the Government of today should be blamed (unless were all in this together isn't a dig?).

Then again Mr Cameron was in the treasury under Major I believe so he must have had some say of setting it up...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012