Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:05:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Moral of the season...  (Read 3499 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Moral of the season...
« on April 09, 2012, 08:30:06 pm by Red Rover »
Don't sack a class manager because you are going thru a bad patch (with a shit load of injuries). Arsenal didnt sack Arsene, Blackburn didn't sack Kean. The grass isn't always better on the other side.

I would personally keep a lot of the squad at the minute. I'd give Hayter more time, get Chambers back in the mix...I think we have good players, they got us there, they have just been terribly managed. A few fresh faced grafters and a goalscorer and I think we'll romp it!  :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

philsky

• Forum Member
Re: Moral of the season...
« Reply #1 on April 09, 2012, 08:33:04 pm by philsky »

RR - completely, totally, 100% agree with you.

In every sense, every word.

RTID

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 09, 2012, 08:33:16 pm by WBDRFC »
I think you've posted on the wrong forum! This isn't for upbeat messages.

I agree with you BTW.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 09, 2012, 08:33:44 pm by mutleyrover »
We've reduced the wage bill and the current manager is doing an excellent job so the sacking of the previous manager has been justified.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 09, 2012, 08:34:00 pm by Barmby Rover »
Overconfidence. League 1 is not easy, and some teams there have more to spend than we do, maybe most! If we keep the majority of the squad we have a chance, but we do need some recruits, and they have to be from lower leagues and have good promise a la Bennett.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 09, 2012, 08:34:45 pm by Akinfenwa »
I think you underestimate League One.
I think you overrate some of our players.

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 09, 2012, 08:35:15 pm by Red Rover »
We've reduced the wage bill and the current manager is doing an excellent job so the sacking of the previous manager has been justified.

Are you Dean Saunders?

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 09, 2012, 08:38:02 pm by Chris »
Never respond to "hotheads" who want a good manager sacked. Knee-jerk reactions never work, "look at Sheffield United".

Will John Ryan be spouting shit about humble pie on the radio so soon this summer?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 09, 2012, 08:51:04 pm by StocktonRover »
Totally disagree with the OP - SOD had run out of ideas and had one way only. More and more teams had worked out how to stop us playing and he had no plan B.

I'm less convinced about Saunders after hearing his poor post match interview but whether it be Saunders or someone else (but not SOD) whos managing us next season they will get my support as its the club that I support not a transient manager or player.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 09, 2012, 08:57:35 pm by Lesonthewest »
Don't sack a class manager because you are going thru a bad patch (with a shit load of injuries). Arsenal didnt sack Arsene, Blackburn didn't sack Kean. The grass isn't always better on the other side.

I would personally keep a lot of the squad at the minute. I'd give Hayter more time, get Chambers back in the mix...I think we have good players, they got us there, they have just been terribly managed. A few fresh faced grafters and a goalscorer and I think we'll romp it!  :rtid:

Spot on, lose the loannees & keep some of the old guard. Add one or two free transfers, give Saunders a preseason & we could well have a decent season. Let us not forgot half of these players have helped get us out of league 1 once, they could do it again, without any intervention of International  loannees that obviously affect team moral, although Beye would be a great permanent addition. We need to close ranks, the manager needs to get together a capable squad as soon as possible in the summer, & lets have a real go next season. Its not the end of the world.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 09, 2012, 09:09:02 pm by dickos1 »
The old guard are legends and 3/4 years ago they were upto it but surely now we need a complete overall.
They have under performed now for close to 100 matches

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 09, 2012, 09:41:44 pm by BRMC_rover »

Spot on, lose the loannees & keep some of the old guard. Add one or two free transfers, give Saunders a preseason & we could well have a decent season. Let us not forgot half of these players have helped get us out of league 1 once, they could do it again, without any intervention of International  loannees that obviously affect team moral, although Beye would be a great permanent addition. We need to close ranks, the manager needs to get together a capable squad as soon as possible in the summer, & lets have a real go next season. Its not the end of the world.

We changed manager because we needed to. It hasnt worked but it still HAD to be done. There is no way SOD was going to turn it around. He'd do a good job with a new team that he could build from base and in the right environment, but we had gone as far as we could get with him and was in rapid decline. Saunders came in due to having ties with McKay, that would lead to us bringing in players that  could have formed a really competitive team. I wasnt too concerned about DS's ability, as he had Wrexham top of his respective league.

Most of my North West based workmates were envious as to what was going on. Oldham and Huddersfield fans asking how on Earth we were getting such reputable players in. If we'd have done this pre-season and created some stability and a settled first 11 then who knows. Southampton and Reading have had the same settled first team all season and the results have been clear to show this is what is needed.

In response to the 'old guard' being the men to take us forward, they'r not. Wellens, Mills, Heffernan, Price, a younger and more competitive Sullivan and a Brian Stock who could play 30+ games a season at full fitness got us promoted. The rest of the squad from the old guard, barring Coppinger, Hird and Chambers (when fit) are not going to take us forward.

Arsenal have never had a disastrous run of results like ours to even consider sacking Wenger. Steve Keen was kept during his dreadful run because the board level decisions and meets at Blackburn were similar to that of clown convention.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:44:59 pm by BRMC_rover »

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 09, 2012, 10:15:52 pm by Lesonthewest »
In my opinion keeping the likes of Coppinger, Stock, Hird, Hayter, Brown, O'Connor, Woods, Friend, Spurr, Oster, Bennett would give us the nucleus of a decent squad for League 1 & stabilise the club after this god awful season.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 09, 2012, 10:35:35 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The big failure was to not rebuild in the summer. Many should have been moved on but were not. Sod got it wrong and was right to be sacked.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 09, 2012, 10:41:45 pm by donnyroversfc »
Relegation was a certainty under SO'D.
Relegation was a certainty under the street corner policy.
SO'D should've strenghtened better in the summer but i'd hazard a guess at the budget being unsufficient (We missed out on Joe Murphy because of money).
Dean Saunders brought in 15 players (none were his signings) and failed to do his job well enough.
The club royally fcuked up and are paying the price for it.

Thats the moral of our season. We could maybe make it into a musical. I Nominate Damien Plessis for lead role.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012