Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:39:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: NEW GOALKEEPER PLEASE  (Read 5204 times)

threeupfront

NEW GOALKEEPER PLEASE
« on April 14, 2012, 06:28:26 pm by threeupfront »
Dont think woods is the man or next season lacks any real presence  the defence look worried from all set plays with him in goal we should have kept Button

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: NEW GOALKEEPER PLEASE
« Reply #1 on April 14, 2012, 06:29:59 pm by MachoMadness »
We've needed one all season. Problem is whenever we get a good one they get injured!  :headbang:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 14, 2012, 06:30:36 pm by Donnywolf »
agree ... nearly spilled at near post in first Minute and did not get any more confident

Donnylass

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 14, 2012, 06:37:04 pm by Donnylass »
I've not had a lot of confidence with him in goal this season and yes that slip up at the begining was bad, but I think he's played well the last two games. He made some good saves and it looked to me like he initially saved that second penalty but then it was kicked in - might be wrong -eyes not as good as they used to be from South Stand. I think he deserves a chance in league 1. Can we afford anyone better?

redrover19

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 14, 2012, 06:37:21 pm by redrover19 »
im sorry but you cant blame Gary for today, hes had two penalties and been taken out for another, over the last 2 weeks he has made some good saves. with some propper game time he will become a very good keeper

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 14, 2012, 06:40:00 pm by Donnybax »
why? the last 2 games hes been brought in after being told to go and find somewhere else. He wasnt at fault for any of the goals today and he looked decent to me

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 14, 2012, 06:41:31 pm by MachoMadness »
im sorry but you cant blame Gary for today, hes had two penalties and been taken out for another, over the last 2 weeks he has made some good saves. with some propper game time he will become a very good keeper

I don't think anyone's blaming him for today, however he isn't a good keeper. Being young doesn't excuse that fact, and you can't keep dead weight around because they might be alright in 5 years time.

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 14, 2012, 06:43:11 pm by donnyroversfc »
Saw the two penalties... My mum would have saved the 2nd one.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 14, 2012, 06:43:29 pm by Donnywolf »
why? the last 2 games hes been brought in after being told to go and find somewhere else. He wasnt at fault for any of the goals today and he looked decent to me

We all have our opinions and I respect yours whilst thinking to myself that he will never be a keeper of any standing

He does not look like he believes in himself I am afraid BUT that is just my opinion

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Makes Dennis Peacock look good
« Reply #9 on April 14, 2012, 06:44:38 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Absolutely terrible keeper!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 14, 2012, 06:44:48 pm by Donnywolf »

Hi .... no he did save the second one initially but allowed it to crawl under his body and it had just enough to get over the line

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 14, 2012, 06:47:00 pm by Donnywolf »
Absolutely terrible keeper!

I would take Dennis Peacock Super Keeper la la la la la la ALL DAY over GW

redrover19

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 14, 2012, 06:47:31 pm by redrover19 »

I don't think anyone's blaming him for today, however he isn't a good keeper. Being young doesn't excuse that fact, and you can't keep dead weight around because they might be alright in 5 years time.
Seriously ??? he has no confidence because 2 keepers have been brought in on loan infront of him, he must be at rock bottom but still turned out and gave his all for us
Can i ask you who you would have played in net today instead of Gary??? and if you want someone else WHO??? AND WITH WHAT FUNDS???

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2012, 06:51:40 pm by MachoMadness »

Seriously ??? he has no confidence because 2 keepers have been brought in on loan infront of him, he must be at rock bottom but still turned out and gave his all for us
Can i ask you who you would have played in net today instead of Gary??? and if you want someone else WHO??? AND WITH WHAT FUNDS???

Well yeah, he turned up today. But I'm not basing it on today, I'm basing it on every time I've seen him play! He just isn't very good and I will never understand this obsession people have with wanting crap players who don't show that much promise just because they're young. I honestly think Sullivan is a better keeper even with his atrocious distribution, I know he's not ideal but we should have fixed this problem last summer. We will be shipping a lot out over the summer and priority one with what limited funds we have should be a new keeper, as it should have been this season!

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2012, 06:55:39 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
SOD most amazing comment of all time...

"I play Gary Woods cos he a good footballer not the best keeper..."

You might as well put a f**king wheelie bin to block the goal

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2012, 07:26:02 pm by Donnywolf »
He has (or looks to have) NO confidence in his own ability at all

He did play ok last home game but today started shakily when it was 0-0 and did not seem to recover. You cant blame keepers at Penalties as the taker is supposed to score

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 14, 2012, 08:47:38 pm by ravenrover »
Gary is a decent shot stopper as he has proved a number of times in the last couple of games, however he doesn't command his 6 yard box, gets no where near any crosses, is very weak under challenges and apppears to give no confidence to the players in front of him.
Not good enough at this level and will be really under pressure with some of the big lumps in the 3rd Division. I fear the worst if he is our number one choice next season

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 14, 2012, 09:02:22 pm by goalkick »
agree can stop shots but does not command  the area will struggle if he is first choice next year.would hope there are keepers   available at reasonable wages in close season,

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 14, 2012, 09:08:36 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
I thought that in he first half he looked like his time away from the action had served him well.  He looked a lot more confident. That seemed to dip dramatically after the 2 penalties, perhaps not surprisingly. I didn't think he was at fault for any of the goals today.

It strikes me that he is a confidence player. It doesn't work well when you're at the wrong end of the table and it's all going tits up.  A couple of early clean sheets next season and I reckon we'll see young Woods grow dramatically in stature and confidence

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 14, 2012, 09:32:27 pm by ravenrover »
But we could also be bottom of the table after the first 4 games with no points and the worst defensive record in the whole football league.
We saw what happened this season when SOD was pig headed in keeping young Gary as 1st choice.
At the moment he is just not good enough, regretably

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 15, 2012, 11:24:19 am by The Red Baron »
You can't really blame him for the goals, and yet I think I saw today why we need someone else between the sticks. On both penalties he stood stock still on his line rather than moving and trying to get into the head of the kicker (he did the same against Burnley). He would have saved the second had his legs been moving before the kick was taken.

On the third, there's no question he was fouled (as well as Kitson putting it in with his hand) but his lack of physical presence made him a sitting target. If Kitson had done that against Dennis Peacock (or for older readers, Harry Gregg) he might have scored but he'd have had a broken jaw and no teeth left in his head.

Basically he's too timid and unassertive to ever be a top 'keeper. Maybe that's why Man United let him go, because technically he's OK.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 15, 2012, 11:40:32 am by RoversAlias »
Spot on Red Baron, presence is his problem. He is a good shot stopper but yes, he isn't assertive enough. He's 6'1" but looks very small between the sticks.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 15, 2012, 11:58:57 am by Donny Exile in York »
One question about Gary Woods: How many clean sheets has he had in say 40-50 league games????

That may answer the question as to whether we think he is a good keeper or not... Personally i think he has to go asap, we won't go anywhere without a new keeper in the ranks, or at least we will only go one way.. downwards.. You won't win many games if your keeper will let in 2 or more every game, and for me he would do the same in league 1.. at best he should be farmed to a league 2 club for a year, should have been this season!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 15, 2012, 12:55:00 pm by Lesonthewest »
Thing is we have wanted a new keeper for the last two years & still the problem has not been addressed.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 15, 2012, 01:55:00 pm by mutleyrover »
He's another Ben Smith. No presence, looks nervy, defenders appear to have little confidence in him and makes too many mistakes.  I thought he had his best game for us last week but yesterday showed why we need to replace him in the summer (And not with Sullivan either). No attempt to save the first penalty, should have easily saved the second, Not strong or commanding enough on the third and just does not come to claim crosses.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 15, 2012, 02:21:46 pm by grayx »

Errm, sorry. He won't.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 15, 2012, 02:37:04 pm by CusworthRovers »
Who reckons he would make an excellent 5 a side goalie.

Ball not allowed above head height
Can't score in the box so no crosses and no challenges on him
Low crossbar
No run ups to blast penalties........erm on second thoughts scrub this one

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 15, 2012, 03:03:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I make it that the lad has conceded 54 goals in 27 league appearances in the last 2 seasons.

Sure we've been poor in defence during that period, but that is a pretty weak record.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012