Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:40:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: JR - Mckay experiment 'Unlikely' to Continue  (Read 2810 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
JR - Mckay experiment 'Unlikely' to Continue
« on April 16, 2012, 11:09:03 am by roverstillidie91 »
http://m.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/ryan-mckay-experiment-unlikely-to-continue-1-4450767

JOHN Ryan believes the club’s relationship with super agent Willie McKay is unlikely to continue in the same manner following the drop into League One.
Defeat to Portsmouth on Saturday confirmed Rovers’ relegation and Ryan suggested that would spell the end of the so-called ‘McKay experiment.’
He said: “I think things will change.
“I don’t think he’ll be that interested in us being a League One club, it only really works in the Championship that sort of arrangement.
“You’re not going to get El Hadji Diouf playing in the third tier.
“The experiment in itself will not work in the same way but if Willie’s got a good player he wants to send our way we’ll always listen to him.
“He’s brought some very good players to the club.”

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Re: JR - Mckay experiment 'Unlikely' to Continue
« Reply #1 on April 16, 2012, 11:11:37 am by roverstillidie91 »
By the way JR explains whats going to happen with Mckay seems as if we will get players by recommendation just not on a high scale as recent

which seems fair enough as we got offered James Mccarthy who's at wigan now

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 16, 2012, 11:14:50 am by donnyroversfc »
"The experiment in itself will not work in the same way"...

The experiment didn't work full stop. I hope John Ryan and McKay dont try 'another way' with this disastrous 'experiment' it'll only end in tears.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 16, 2012, 12:54:04 pm by albie »
For those who missed the JR interview;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17727076?

Sounds like we have no clear idea what the squad for next season will look like, and who will jump ship!

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 16, 2012, 12:59:54 pm by WBDRFC »
For those who missed the JR interview;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17727076?

Sounds like we have no clear idea what the squad for next season will look like, and who will jump ship!

Of course not. Let's get this season out of the way first.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 16, 2012, 01:03:56 pm by albie »
This season has been out of the way for some time past.

What I meant was who in the present squad has release clauses in their contract because of relegation. We know who is out of contract, but others may have an opt-out.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 16, 2012, 01:08:33 pm by roverstillidie91 »
Id of thought also all the players who are contracted beyond this summer will get wage deferrals on their earnings seeing as we have been relegated

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 16, 2012, 01:12:08 pm by keyser_soze »
By the way JR explains whats going to happen with Mckay seems as if we will get players by recommendation just not on a high scale as recent

which seems fair enough as we got offered James Mccarthy who's at wigan now

I've no problem at all with Willie McKay offering players to the club, I would only have issue if that is the only route we have to select new players.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 16, 2012, 01:18:40 pm by WBDRFC »
This season has been out of the way for some time past.

What I meant was who in the present squad has release clauses in their contract because of relegation. We know who is out of contract, but others may have an opt-out.

There's bound to be lots of discussions with players AFTER the season has concluded. Some players under contract may want to leave, players out of contract may not want to stay if they get offers elsewhere, clubs may come in for contracted players when the transfer window opens.

It seems some people want to criticise anyone at the club simply for the sake of criticising. Points scoring against the manager, McKay, the kitman, the cleaner.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 16, 2012, 02:35:59 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
this season is over we have been relegated if you havent noticed. deano and ryan will surley be planning next season and using our garanteed league 1 place to get ahead of everyone else in terms of who we keep who we might bring in ect. there is no way any club is waiting until the season finished to start planning you would be about a month behind everyone else.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 16, 2012, 02:41:11 pm by roverstillidie91 »
According to the BBC the experiment is over

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/football/17727076

*Doncaster Rovers chairman John Ryan believes the club's experiment with agent Willie McKay has come to an end now that they have been relegated.*
Rovers were beaten 4-3 by fellow strugglers Portsmouth on Saturday to seal their exit from the Championship.
McKay had helped Doncaster bring in international players on reduced wages if they were not playing regularly.
"Willie's brought some great players into this club but it just didn't work," Ryan told BBC Radio Sheffield.
"The experiment wouldn't work in the third tier. I don't think he'd want to be involved next season.
"Unfortunately, the way it worked would only be possible in the Championship. We're just too far down now."
McKay helped bring in a number of high-profile players to the Keepmoat Stadium including El-Hadji Diouf,Pascal Chimbonda,Habib Beye and Freddie Piqiuonne.
Despite the relegation, Ryan is remaining positive about the future: "Looking back, we used to aspire to be in League One, there's always one or two big teams at that level.
"We've done well to stay in this division for four years. We don't have the fanbase and we've had some shocking refereeing decisions against us."
Ryan was particularly unhappy with the officiating in his side's defeat by Pompey at the weekend.
Doncaster conceded two contentious penalties and had a man sent off before going back into the lead only to lose in the final minute, with the third goal seemingly handled into the net by Dave Kitson.
"I've been watching football for 50 years and his second half performance was so bad that I don't think it's wrong of me to call it a dereliction of duty," he continued.
"He should never be allowed to referee again, all four of those Portsmouth goals should arguably not have been given."

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 16, 2012, 05:15:59 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
".....it only really works in the Championship that sort of arrangement."

Ermmm...no it doesnt.

WBDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 16, 2012, 05:38:39 pm by WBDRFC »
this season is over we have been relegated if you havent noticed. deano and ryan will surley be planning next season and using our garanteed league 1 place to get ahead of everyone else in terms of who we keep who we might bring in ect. there is no way any club is waiting until the season finished to start planning you would be about a month behind everyone else.

Planning, yes. Having a clear idea at this stage, no. No team will have a clear idea at this stage who is staying or going, as anything could happen between now and the end of the play-offs for many teams.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:40:41 pm by WBDRFC »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012