Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 10:35:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Just back  (Read 2658 times)

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
Just back
« on April 17, 2012, 10:35:42 pm by StocktonRover »
Really Proud of the "team" tonight, I went tonight with low expectations and the boys gave me a lesson in belief.

In the first half I thought that we edged the posession but without having any real cutting edge, although we were just for a change denied a stonewall penalty (even local radio and my Boro supporting neighbour agreed).

The second half we defended resolutely, got bodies behind the ball, tackled, blocked and charged down at every oppoprtunity. We didn't offer a great deal of a goal threat ourselves, but we did get the ball forward and cause some concerns in the Boro derfence.

Difficult to single out individual players because they all did their bit, however Woods looked far more assured in goal tonight and made a couple of good saves, the whole defence worked as a unit and really put a shift in, Brown worked tirelessly up front. Husband made a promising appearance in the second half after Martis got injured, George into the centre and he dropped in at Left back, wasn't scared to get forward and overlapped very well (and still got back and did the defending).

Overall very pleasing performance and it was great to see every single player come over and applaud the Travelling support.

RTID

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Just back
« Reply #1 on April 17, 2012, 10:53:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thanks for the report. Good to hear of Husband's debut.

pubteam

« Reply #2 on April 17, 2012, 10:55:50 pm by pubteam »
The Rovers player commentators were really impressed with Husband. Peter Catt was beaming when he watched someone from the Rovers Academy performing so well on his first team debut. Early days, but it seems like he could be a good player for us.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 17, 2012, 10:58:22 pm by Donnybax »
delighted to hear of husbands debut and pleased he did well. Good for garry too to keep a clean sheet and make a couple of decent saves

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 17, 2012, 11:00:03 pm by dickos1 »
Great result, we've been battered there last few seasons.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 18, 2012, 12:00:00 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Superb result. First point on Teeside since 1957 - is this a new dawn?  :scarf:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 18, 2012, 12:17:01 am by RobTheRover »
I was delighted to see some of the Youth team offered contracts last week.  Local lads doing well for the club and themselves is always great news. 

And there is one more thing I'm really excited about for next season.  The return of James Baxendale.  I thought he looked the business in pre-season and the early few games he featured in.

Hands up who had forgotten about him....

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 18, 2012, 12:44:30 am by JonWallsend »
I really enjoyed the game. We played some excellent football in the first half with Copps, Oster and Gillet linking up really well. The referee appeared to point towards the spot for what looked like a clear penalty for a foul on Brown only to wave play on after a few seconds.

Had to weather a bit of a storm late on in the second half but could have still grabbed a goal with Oster choosing to try a chip,when he could have just put his laces through the ball and earlier squaring the ball, when a shot looked on.

The team, the fans, the performance- I thought Friend was outstanding and Husband looked very promising, just left me feeling far more optimistic about next season.

Was nice to see Sean McDaid at the game, was backing the lads in the same whole hearted fashion that he played.

Overall, I felt uplifted by tonight and left the ground remembering just why this is such a great club to support.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 18, 2012, 01:24:57 am by RobTheRover »
Brilliant, Jon.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 18, 2012, 01:41:34 am by Standanista »
Good stuff, augers well for next season.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 18, 2012, 08:15:49 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Thought Hird and Friend did really good jobs, Hird in midfield winning a lot which allowed OSter to play a more advanced role.  Brown didn't stop again (should have had a pen too).

Husband coming on looked good, he's a real good passer of the ball and gets forward well.  With experience he could become really good.  Made  a great tackle that left their winger on the floor for some time.  Looks pretty good.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 18, 2012, 08:33:41 am by DearneValleyRover »
I was delighted to see some of the Youth team offered contracts last week.  Local lads doing well for the club and themselves is always great news. 

And there is one more thing I'm really excited about for next season.  The return of James Baxendale.  I thought he looked the business in pre-season and the early few games he featured in.

Rob, wasn't his contract up at the end of the season? Hope we offered him a new one as he does look a good prospect,

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 18, 2012, 11:37:42 am by Wade Falana »

Dead right Rob, should have be given a chance under DS. The lad looked quality pre-season, his contracts up next month so hopefully he'll get at least another year.

I'd like to see young Oscar Radford been given a chance too, I've watched him a couple of times in the reserves this year and he's another one who you could throw in now.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 18, 2012, 12:30:10 pm by Sprotyrover »
Really Proud of the "team" tonight, I went tonight with low expectations and the boys gave me a lesson in belief.

In the first half I thought that we edged the posession but without having any real cutting edge, although we were just for a change denied a stonewall penalty (even local radio and my Boro supporting neighbour agreed).

The second half we defended resolutely, got bodies behind the ball, tackled, blocked and charged down at every oppoprtunity. We didn't offer a great deal of a goal threat ourselves, but we did get the ball forward and cause some concerns in the Boro derfence.

Difficult to single out individual players because they all did their bit, however Woods looked far more assured in goal tonight and made a couple of good saves, the whole defence worked as a unit and really put a shift in, Brown worked tirelessly up front. Husband made a promising appearance in the second half after Martis got injured, George into the centre and he dropped in at Left back, wasn't scared to get forward and overlapped very well (and still got back and did the defending).

Overall very pleasing performance and it was great to see every single player come over and applaud the Travelling support.

RTID

Woods made 9 saves according to teletext

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 18, 2012, 12:37:42 pm by deebee »
All looks promising for next season IF we have the same squad but it's a big IF

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 24, 2012, 08:49:23 pm by ravenrover »
So when 6 fingered ( thats was the reason for the bandage he's had extra fitted) Spurr moves on in the summer we have ready made replacement  :thumbsup:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012