Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:23:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 2 more for this week now doubtful  (Read 6113 times)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
2 more for this week now doubtful
« on July 03, 2012, 07:22:25 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Paul Goodwin just tweeted:
The plans to get 2 more on board this week now looking doubtful - which is a frustration for the manager with pre-season almost here.

Could be good news for the youngsters though.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Re: 2 more for this week now doubtful
« Reply #1 on July 03, 2012, 07:36:41 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Thank God for the FP boys....

Always there first .....!!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 03, 2012, 09:44:16 pm by jonnydog »
... Or is it a decoy to throw others of the scent?! :unsure:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 03, 2012, 09:48:20 pm by hoolahoop »
... Or is it a decoy to throw others of the scent?! :unsure:

Doubt it we're stuck until we can get our hands on the stadium (yep you read that right!) and can offload more of the high earners .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 03, 2012, 10:18:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We shall wait and see, things change all the time of course.  IF we've no more strikers come a months time then I'll be worried.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 03, 2012, 11:38:05 pm by dickos1 »
We haven't offloaded any high earners yet, and made 3 signings.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 04, 2012, 12:19:11 am by Alan_Rovers »
Wasn't Hayter a high earner?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 04, 2012, 12:22:47 am by dickos1 »
Was out of contract.
We ended the season with 12 players still under contract these 12 are still here.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 04, 2012, 02:01:17 am by Alan_Rovers »
You never specified if he was out of contract or not.

To be honest, who on earth is going to come in for any of our contracted players? Most of them were rubbish last season and we were paying low end Championship wages for League One (at best) quality players.

We're even going to struggle getting rid of Coppinger due to his age and poor injury record, so we've got no chance of getting rid of useless players like Sullivan or Woods.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 04, 2012, 02:34:47 am by Mr1Croft »
To be honest I think we have shot ourselves in the foot when Dean Saunders said it was going to be difficult untill someone comes in for our players.

Now as a rival league one club and I read that would I:

a) come in for players straight away so they can rebuild faster and dampen my chances of a good season or:
b) come in last minute when they cannot get an adequate replacement and increase my chances of a good season...

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 04, 2012, 07:19:21 am by dickos1 »

To be honest, who on earth is going to come in for any of our contracted players? Most of them were rubbish last season and we were paying low end Championship wages for League One (at best) quality players.

We're even going to struggle getting rid of Coppinger due to his age and poor injury record, so we've got no chance of getting rid of useless players like Sullivan or Woods.

I didn't need to specify. The comment was "we need to offload more of the high earners" when in fact we haven't offloaded any yet. Obviously the players out of contract are already off the wage bill.
As for shooting ourselves in the foot, I don't agree, for starters I don't think any of our contracted players will go to league one clubs and if nobody comes in for them we get to keep them.
All the disaster scenarios that were being brought up by the two bobs have so far been proven to be far from the truth.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 04, 2012, 07:59:24 am by Barmby Rover »

This is the same James Coppinger who played 38 of our league games last season, 38 the year before, 29 before that and then 34 the two seasons before that. I wish all our players were so injury prone! Also much the best performer the team had last year, get going Copps, who needs fans like this.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 04, 2012, 08:07:37 am by keyser_soze »
...Coppinger due to his age and poor injury record...

Sorry, have to pull this up - an average of around 40 appearances each season he's been with us is a fantastic injury record, and the guy is 31, probably nearing the end of his prime years, but he's hardly Robbie Blake!

b) come in last minute when they cannot get an adequate replacement and increase my chances of a good season...
c) come in last minute when Rovers are desperate to get rid and will be literally pushing players out of the door.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 05, 2012, 11:40:39 pm by BobG »
Hey Dickos :)

Still blind to realties then I see? Have you not noticed that the reserve team isn't coming back after all - despite everything that's been said over the last 6 months? Might be an idea to think about why? Might also be worth thinking about why we're not signing many players, why the dinosaur has just gone, and, just what JR meant when he refused to answer the Q about his ambitions for this season.?Did you not spot Terry Bramhall talking about the consequences of a 60% drop in revenue? Or his outright refusal to bankroll the club in any way that could be construed as 'buying' success? Have you not yet stopped to think about just what that means?

Cheers

BobG

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 05, 2012, 11:46:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
There are players under contract who are clearly too good for League One (Copps, Spurr, Jimmy, Stock) but other teams likely to buy them are waiting for the pressure to get to us so they leave without a fee as we are so desperate just to get their wages off the books. A waiting game for Deano but nowt we can do at this relatively early stage.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 05, 2012, 11:56:34 pm by PaulRover08 »
Who is this Jimmy that is too good for L1? Do you mean O'Connor? We're watching a different player there like.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 06, 2012, 12:03:53 am by Snods Shinpad 2 »
All this scaremongering, I don't know.

It's not as though we're resorting to desperate measures like hiring out the penalty area for putting practice or anything. 

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/CommercialNews/0,,10329~2832764,00.html

....a chance to play golf on the Keepmoat pitch and a 2 course evening meal with trophies and presentations to the winners.

Having said that, I'd pay a few quid to tee off into a packed away end now and again.  :scarf:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 06, 2012, 12:09:46 am by Filo »
All this scaremongering, I don't know.

It's not as though we're resorting to desperate measures like hiring out the penalty area for putting practice or anything. 

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/CommercialNews/0,,10329~2832764,00.html

....a chance to play golf on the Keepmoat pitch and a 2 course evening meal with trophies and presentations to the winners.

Having said that, I'd pay a few quid to tee off into a packed away end now and again.  :scarf:

I would, but i`m afraid the fans in the away end would be safe, it`s the folk in the box`s that would be in danger as my wildly exaggerated fade shot goes through the air

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 06, 2012, 11:44:47 am by wing commander »

[/quote]

This is the same James Coppinger who played 38 of our league games last season, 38 the year before, 29 before that and then 34 the two seasons before that. I wish all our players were so injury prone! Also much the best performer the team had last year, get going Copps, who needs fans like this.
[/quote]

Well i have to disagree, Coppinger was awful for me for most of last season and when your in the trenches he dissapears,Captain material...never in a million years...Great servant but he is commanding far far too much money for what he brings to the table...I know i'm a lone voice on this but he would be my priority to move on....

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 06, 2012, 11:52:07 am by silent majority »
Hey Dickos :)

Still blind to realties then I see? Have you not noticed that the reserve team isn't coming back after all - despite everything that's been said over the last 6 months? Might be an idea to think about why? Might also be worth thinking about why we're not signing many players, why the dinosaur has just gone, and, just what JR meant when he refused to answer the Q about his ambitions for this season.?Did you not spot Terry Bramhall talking about the consequences of a 60% drop in revenue? Or his outright refusal to bankroll the club in any way that could be construed as 'buying' success? Have you not yet stopped to think about just what that means?

Cheers

BobG

Bob,

I think the only one who is blind is you. The actions taken by the board are sensible and good housekeeping given our reduced circumstances due to the lower tv revenue and the newly introduced 'fair play rules'. The lack of signings is an industry wide event, not only in this country but throughout Europe, again blamed on the economy in European markets, i.e. Spain, Greece, and the UEFA fair play rules.

This scaremongering by you is dangerous and boring.

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 06, 2012, 11:57:04 am by sf9944 »
Here here!

Extremely boring....and self-serving!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 06, 2012, 12:07:37 pm by dickos1 »
Bob, everything you were displaying as fact 7 or 8 weeks ago has now been recognised as nonsense.
You categorically stated the km2 would not be investing anymore money and would never return to the club.
You also said were on skid row, admin was on the cards, jr had lost control, we won't be able to sign any players, gates will tumble, the world is going to end.

All which has turned out to be like I thought at the time, nonsense..
In fact if you watched the conference yesterday you will see brammall state the club is in excellent financial position in debt to nobody.

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 06, 2012, 04:45:41 pm by sf9944 »
Will Bob's pride allow him to say 'yeah OK I got it wrong'?  Can't wait to find out.

Really feels like a new dawn to me rather than the start of a DRFC meltdown.  We may need to go through a period of consolidation but Im hoping the last year (OK, year and a half) is just a blip on our steady upward curve of progress. 

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 06, 2012, 05:29:07 pm by hoolahoop »
If some of you are assuming that Bob is not a committed supporter, lacks intelligence/financial footy nounce or has not fought tooth and nail for the survival of our club then..................you couldn't be further from the truth. The jury is out for me too and where is the Reserve team ?  :mad:
Quite simply you are being disrespectful  to someone who spent a lot of time and money helping to save the club we have!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 06, 2012, 06:22:49 pm by dickos1 »
Where does it imply anybody is presuming any of those things? I'm sure bob will come out and admit he was wrong about his world ending predictions.
As you constantly remind people a forum is for people to express their opinions and just because we disagree certainly doesn't mean I'm being disrespectful to the bloke.
We just have different views.
I think it shows how the mood has changed that the biggest complaint now is the lack of a reserve team.

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 06, 2012, 08:43:39 pm by sf9944 »
Disrespect has nothing to do with it.

If you think that Bob's previous good deeds for Rovers which are respected and appreciated by pretty much everyone (myself included) justify him being immune from criticism for propounding scare stories which turn out to be nonsense.....I disagree with you!

I believe such scare stories damage the club and my loyalties are with the club...not Bob G!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012