Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 08:51:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Always look on the bright side...  (Read 3381 times)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Always look on the bright side...
« on August 11, 2012, 11:52:04 pm by jonnydog »
Ok, so it wasn't the best game to watch today, but it was never going to be a classic.

Our players have obviously not had a great deal of time to gel, but IMO the back 4 (which we've all said has been the weaker area) looked stable enough to me, Deano has confirmed McCombes signing today (subject to paperwork). If another player comes in for that area, along with a bit of time together then we could quite easily have a solid back line... With height too! Woods did well to keep some shots out, and with some other clean sheets earlier in the pre seasons, a solid back 4 might even give him a bit more confidence, assuming we don't bring another keeper in of course!   ;)

He's also said another midfielder will be coming in, so strength and numbers should bring more options on the field.

Up front is where we need a good quality striker, someone different to brown who can get in positions to knock em in. It's been said a good signing is imminent in that area too, I have confidence following the signings already made by Deano that he won't want another Brown style forward, so more options there too.

So hopefully Monday will bring some names in, and by wednesday/Thursday we should see positions filled. Then it's just a matter of time for the team to gel. It's a shame Deano couldn't get the players in early, and training together for a few weeks, but for obvious reasons he's had to do things the way he has and this week it's been said to see things coming together.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and it may take a couple of weeks to get it together, but any progress is good progress!

COYR   :scarf:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:15:34 am by jonnydog »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Always look on the bright side...
« Reply #1 on August 12, 2012, 12:12:18 am by dknward2 »
Woods didn't keep a clean sheet it was 1-1 but very few ie only a handful of keepers could have stopped it, but the midfield should have closed the player down as to not get the shot away

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 12, 2012, 12:17:03 am by jonnydog »
My bad, iPhone editing gets worse. Re(re)Edited now   ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:19:16 am by jonnydog »

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 12, 2012, 12:34:07 am by Lesonthewest »
Ok, so it wasn't the best game to watch today, but it was never going to be a classic.

Our players have obviously not had a great deal of time to gel, but IMO the back 4 (which we've all said has been the weaker area) looked stable enough to me, Deano has confirmed McCombes signing today (subject to paperwork). If another player comes in for that area, along with a bit of time together then we could quite easily have a solid back line... With height too! Woods did well to keep some shots out, and with some other clean sheets earlier in the pre seasons, a solid back 4 might even give him a bit more confidence, assuming we don't bring another keeper in of course!   ;)

He's also said another midfielder will be coming in, so strength and numbers should bring more options on the field.

Up front is where we need a good quality striker, someone different to brown who can get in positions to knock em in. It's been said a good signing is imminent in that area too, I have confidence following the signings already made by Deano that he won't want another Brown style forward, so more options there too.

So hopefully Monday will bring some names in, and by wednesday/Thursday we should see positions filled. Then it's just a matter of time for the team to gel. It's a shame Deano couldn't get the players in early, and training together for a few weeks, but for obvious reasons he's had to do things the way he has and this week it's been said to see things coming together.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and it may take a couple of weeks to get it together, but any progress is good progress!

COYR   :scarf:

Fair comments, but in my opinion Chris Brown worked very hard but received absolutely no service whatsoever. The problem was Bennett should have played off Browns flick ons instead of being three yards behind him. The striker wasn't the problem today, the service was.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 12, 2012, 06:18:41 am by Barmby Rover »
It would be helpful if Chris Brown was facing goal inside the box when he is given a header to get. Playing high long balls over the heads of players like Bennet and Copps who could supply Brown with a useful cross ( as Copps did several times in the second half) into the box is a waste of time.
We need to start playing some football.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 12, 2012, 08:53:43 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Sounds like lots of work to be done, but we all knew that anyway. Least we're improving defensively it seems but Brown needs a partner.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 12, 2012, 10:00:56 am by Metalmicky »
My opinions..

Defence looked OK, thought Jones looked good positionally and was strong. I was impressed with Spurrs attitude and I thought young Husband worked really hard and was excellent.

Midfield looked a little disjointed.  I thought Woods played really well, Keegan had a mixed game - some good, some bad.  Cotterill was a bit disappointing and things didn't particularly go right for him.  Copps did some good things, but seemed a little frustrated by the lack of cohesion.

Up front, Brown won plenty of headers, but invariably flicked them on to nobody.  Bennett again did some good things, but often had his head down and kept hold of the ball far too long... which meant he ran down plenty of blind alleys - he needs to link up better. 

Overall the game wasn't exactly a joy on the eyes and there is a lot of work to do....

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 12, 2012, 10:08:47 am by bobjimwilly »
Fair assessment that Metalmicky  :aok:

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 12, 2012, 10:16:45 am by Capmeister »
Abysmal game. I just wanted it to end. York were very poor yet managed to control what little midfield play there was. I've seen better pub football. High points, Rob Jones, played well and grew throughout the game. Penalties all dispatched with aplomb. Low points, generally Rovers play was awful. This season will be incredibly hard. Any semblance of a team has been decontructed by Saunders. It's obvious Copps wants away. Keegan was awful. Quinn looks likely to be another sicknote. Bennett, petulant in my view and when he got put clean through from the York defender's mistake, he fecked up spectacularly. On the plus side again, Saunders has a win, well sort of. God help us at Walsall. Am dreading that trip against a solid, disciplined, established league 1 side 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 12, 2012, 10:28:27 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Rob Jones, played well and grew throughout the game

'kin 'ell. Anybody got Norris McWhirter's number. Robert Wadlow's record is at risk.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2012, 11:21:33 am by Dutch Uncle »
Rob Jones, played well and grew throughout the game

'kin 'ell. Anybody got Norris McWhirter's number. Robert Wadlow's record is at risk.

I thought it was Wardlow, BST, and as any self respecting anorak would, I recognise the name instantly 

But on checking it was indeed Wadlow, sorry mukka :facepalm:

Welcome back mate - where ya been?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:24:07 am by Dutch Uncle »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 12, 2012, 12:33:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Afternoon Dutch.

I've been around - just pacing myself for our promotion season.

Easy mistake to make on yon giant's name. I myself always used to think his middle name was Perishing on account of his head being above the snow line. Turns out his middle name was Pershing, after the WWI US General. The US later gave an Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile the same name, presumably because it was about the same size as Wadlow.

When does the real season start?

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 13, 2012, 09:22:18 pm by Capmeister »
...........for you Stubbs, I suspect when you choose it does. Do you pour over every post looking for the opportunity amaze us with your laconic wit? Walsall SatD

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2012, 02:10:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Cap

No. It just flows naturally. You're welcome to ignore it if you wish.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012