Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:56:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: James Coppinger  (Read 15740 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
James Coppinger
« on August 31, 2012, 05:06:48 pm by RoversAlias »
He will always be a "red and white wizard" to me. What a player, easily one of my favourites since I started going to Belle Vue as a 6 year old. So many great memories of him playing for us.

Winning the JPT in Cardiff.
His sublime hat trick that put Southend to the sword in the play-offs. The best individual display I've ever seen.
The big day out at Wembley of course that followed largely thanks to that hattrick.
The times he helped us to victory at Oakwell, and anywhere else really.

From day one right until his last action for us - playing in Dave Syers to score the last minute winner against Hull on Tuesday night.

Needless to say I will miss him, I doubt many like him will ever come through our doors again.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: James Coppinger
« Reply #1 on August 31, 2012, 05:09:37 pm by Alan_Rovers »
The highlight of his time here was the hat-trick against Southend. Other than that he lacked consistency and his ocasional glimpses of amazing talent were matched by sub-standard displays of anonymity.

Didn't Penney once want to send him out on loan in his second season here?

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 31, 2012, 05:12:14 pm by PaulRover08 »
The highlight of his time here was the hat-trick against Southend. Other than that he lacked consistency and his ocasional glimpses of amazing talent were matched by sub-standard displays of anonymity.

Totally agree with Alan on this one (can't believe i'm saying that)

His best days (as irregular as they were) are gone and we are much better cashing in now and letting DS make another 2 0r 3 quality L1 signings. I know there is no transfer fee but the freed up wages will allow him to work

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 31, 2012, 05:13:54 pm by mushRTID »
Ignoring Alan's ignorant, ungrateful and predictable comments, I agree with the opening post. He was the one player I didnt want to lose, what a talent and what a guy.

Yes he was inconsistant, had he not been he would never have been here and would have been on MOTD every week.

Hope there is some way back in January because I genuinely love you James Coppinger.

Feel very deflated even though i know its best for the club.

Thanks Copps for all your efforts and loyalty.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 31, 2012, 05:14:49 pm by JonWallsend »

[/quote]

As I recall, he very nearly signed for the Millers and it was more by luck than judgement that he stayed here.  Very pleased he did. An absolute delight to watch- he has so much ability on the ball that he makes the game look easy.
Thank you and good luck.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 31, 2012, 05:20:24 pm by Ian H »
A cracking player when things were going well - a great talent and a great touch.

Seemingly lacked faith in his own ability and was only a Rovers player because of his lack of consistency... he always seemed to play better when we were already in front.

I wonder if that is the catalyst (along with the potential for standing) that will get me back through the turnstiles.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 31, 2012, 05:27:48 pm by danumdon »

As I recall, he very nearly signed for the Millers and it was more by luck than judgement that he stayed here.  Very pleased he did. An absolute delight to watch- he has so much ability on the ball that he makes the game look easy.
Thank you and good luck.
[/quote]

Yes but that was very early in his rovers career, he got his big chance when McEndoe moved on and the really kicked on and showed everone what he was capable of.

Without doubt the most fluent and skillfull player i have ever seen grace Belle Vue and the KMS,

All the best fella for the rest of your career, a Rovers legend.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 31, 2012, 06:00:09 pm by graingrover »
Are Forest taking Steve Uttley as well cos 1 hr ago his tweet said they were sitting together in the service station .?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 31, 2012, 06:04:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well the bus is hardly going to divert to Nottingham is it. Who know's they may even get to their destination before he leaves the squad.

With it being a loan deal, I'm not even sure that he has to sign anything. Paperwork will be done between 2 clubs and FA etc?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 31, 2012, 08:07:23 pm by BigH »
We have had the best of this guy so we can't complain. I absolutely don't begrudge him a move to the Championship. He's better than League 1.

We're in a transition phase and there's a big part of me that's ok with this. It's a new era for us and for him.

Time to crack on.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 31, 2012, 08:14:02 pm by steve@dcfd »
Deal done at Forest for 6 months. Dean said he plans in motion when time allows must be the same plans to replace Brian Stock.

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 31, 2012, 08:15:10 pm by bigbadjack »
I'm with you there BigH

Stu The Tickhill Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 31, 2012, 08:21:01 pm by Stu The Tickhill Red »
We have had the best of this guy so we can't complain. I absolutely don't begrudge him a move to the Championship. He's better than League 1.

We're in a transition phase and there's a big part of me that's ok with this. It's a new era for us and for him.

Time to crack on.

Good points BigH, I have to say I'm sad that he has gone, the guy is a Rovers legend. As you say he deserves another crack in the Championship and I hope he does well. The only down side of this transition is we have lost so many of "My" team so quickly that it dosn't feel like "My" team yet. RTID

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 31, 2012, 08:57:32 pm by RobTheRover »
I know what you mean Stu, but they will.  Just give it a few more weeks.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 31, 2012, 09:46:25 pm by Al4475 »
STU:
The only down side of this transition is we have lost so many of "My" team so quickly that it dosn't feel like "My" team yet. RTID

Unfortunately tho - that's football! 'My' team was probably the Sammy Chung team that included Russ Wilcox and co - it didn't take long for that lot to be dismembered either and I'm sure there's many others over the years too!

Let's hope that this lot become your 'new team' soon matey!

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 31, 2012, 10:39:34 pm by Viking Don »
Good luck Copps, without doubt the best Rovers player in my time over the last 40 years despite what a few idiots think. My all time favourite and I'm absolutely gutted but am still hoping it's just a short loan deal and you'll be back for your deserved testimonial.

In the meantime have fun in Nottingham, it's one hell of a pain in the arse to get to and from, as I'm sure you'll find out.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 01, 2012, 09:55:03 am by Dutch Uncle »
All the best from me too Copps

And to all those doom-mongers and anyone who doesn' t wish Copps well, well think about this. We used to be a club with such turnover that even 3 years for a player here was a lot. Copps has played in each of the last 9 consecutive seasons. I am struggling to find the last Rovers player to do that - I am thinking maybe it was Bert Tindill who left in 1957-8. (BTW I am on holiday and don' t have my computer/data with me). Others have played 9 seasons but with a break - e.g. Alick, Dougie.......

That is very special stalwart service of the highest quality Copps

Good luck with Forest

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 01, 2012, 10:08:09 am by Alickismyhero »
I am sad to see him go but thats life in football. I have no doubt he will kiss his badge, the city ground is his favourite, I always wanted to play for Forest ect ect. I have heard it all before.

Best of luck Copps, sorry to see you go but you might get a go in the Prem with a bit of luck and Sean OD.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 01, 2012, 10:15:31 am by Sprotyrover »
Copps,Rovers legend!!! end off  :rtid:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 01, 2012, 10:31:33 am by GazLaz »
He's a very good footballer, his end product isn't as good as it should be. Cotterill puts in a better ball and Bennett scores more. If he scored more goals he would be a premiership player no doubt about that.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 01, 2012, 11:16:07 am by andy didcott »
best of luck copps, hope to see you back at the keepmoat one day, wether in a rovers shirt or not, no doubt you will get a standing ovation. ROVERS LEGEND.

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 01, 2012, 11:23:45 am by dumbroofer »
copps is one of the best players ever to grace the keepmute and old belle vue,yes am sad to see him go, but if it helps improve the team then fair enough.
can it be explained why he is down as undisclosed on ss website? if its only a loan

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 01, 2012, 01:20:58 pm by RobTheRover »
Is it because SSN can be as bad as the BBC for rubbish reporting? Their transfer centre last night was appalling. Loads of news coming through on twitter and Sky's "up to the minute"  page seemed hours behind.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 01, 2012, 02:06:44 pm by Ian H »
All the best from me too Copps

And to all those doom-mongers and anyone who doesn' t wish Copps well, well think about this. We used to be a club with such turnover that even 3 years for a player here was a lot. Copps has played in each of the last 9 consecutive seasons. I am struggling to find the last Rovers player to do that - I am thinking maybe it was Bert Tindill who left in 1957-8. (BTW I am on holiday and don' t have my computer/data with me). Others have played 9 seasons but with a break - e.g. Alick, Dougie.......

That is very special stalwart service of the highest quality Copps

Good luck with Forest

You know Brian, I can't see anyone wishing Coppinger any ill - but it is just a job, and we were every bit as good for him - taking him from Conference football at Exeter up to the Championship whilst his goal scoring contribution for an attacking player came at a ratio of a goal every 10 games.

He was/is a talented footballer and I wish him no ill - but I don't really care whether his chosen club has success.

Interesting though - Did he love us enough to have taken a pay cut to stay?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 01, 2012, 02:20:59 pm by Wellred »
good question.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 01, 2012, 03:57:01 pm by Al4475 »
Even more interesting - would we?

I certainly wouldn't take a pay cut to stay somewhere to work - unless I downgraded my position and authority.

Unfortunately, my better half and her colleagues within her work department have HAD to!

I'm pretty certain most footballers wouldn't - especially ones the wrong side of 30 and especially to stay at the same club!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 01, 2012, 04:00:11 pm by Chris »
James Coppinger's financial situation is none of my business. We offered him a contract and he signed it.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 01, 2012, 04:16:35 pm by Lesonthewest »
All the very best James Coppinger. It's been an absolute pleasure watching the most gifted footballer I have ever seen in a Rovers shirt since I began supporting in the sixties, worth the entrance fee alone on many occasions.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 02, 2012, 12:13:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »
What did he cost us fifty grand from Exeter?,we didn't half get value for money,through numerous promotions,cup successes,and was always capable of nicking a goal here and there,and changing the angle of a game to catch a defence out,i think the move is right for both him and the club,we've had his best year's,good luck James :scarf:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 02, 2012, 12:19:13 pm by The Red Baron »
On his day one of the best players I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. That performance against Southend was the best individual display I've seen from a Rovers player and had he been able to reproduce that regularly he'd have played at the highest level, without a doubt.

Also a genuinely nice guy (so many of those we've lost recently have been decent human beings as well as fine footballers). Maybe he just didn't have the "devil" needed to be a real top footballer.

I shall miss him, because like Stocky, on his day he was worth the admission money on his own.

Good luck, James!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012