Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:07:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Youth Team  (Read 3913 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Youth Team
« on October 10, 2012, 10:09:46 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Can someone provide me with a detailed account of the potential of the members of the youth team.

Given the success of Husband with the inclusion of Wakefield, Middleton and Ball in recent team sheets.

Do we think Saunders is being too conservative with his approach as in their good enough their old enough?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Youth Team
« Reply #1 on October 10, 2012, 10:29:02 am by GazLaz »
Making the progression to the first team is not just an ability thing it's a matter of mental ability as well. If you through a promising youngster in and for whatever reason he has a bad time of it and his confidence takes a hammering it could ruin him. Got to be careful with them.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 10, 2012, 11:23:38 am by nightporter »
Any young player who shows slightly less skill than Messi will be slaughtered by the Keepmoat usual suspects in the first 5 mins. 

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 10, 2012, 02:02:58 pm by MachoMadness »
Gaz is right, you've got to be careful when developing them as just throwing them in too early will do more harm than good. If they're getting knocked about by experienced players who are more savvy and physically fitter every week they aren't going to learn anything.

Football fans always like to see their homegrown prospects doing well, but how many times have we seen them calling for youth team players to be put in the first team, then we end up with a Nelthorpe. I think Dean is doing the right thing in loaning them out and taking baby steps with them.

DRFC-PERKINS

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 10, 2012, 03:28:32 pm by DRFC-PERKINS »
All football fans are desperate for a local hero, like Macho says we need to be very careful, otherwise we'll end up with more Nelthorpes/Fairhursts who end up being a waste for one reason or another.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 10, 2012, 06:50:51 pm by Superspy »
I never really understood the fairhurst situation, 2 goals in 2 games, looked like he was hardworking and wanted to get stuck in, then got dropped and just kind of disappeared..weird one.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 10, 2012, 06:53:09 pm by MachoMadness »
I never really understood the fairhurst situation, 2 goals in 2 games, looked like he was hardworking and wanted to get stuck in, then got dropped and just kind of disappeared..weird one.

By all accounts he thought he'd made it and was a bit of a big time Charlie, at least that's what I'd heard anyway. Then we loaned him out to an L2 team who I forget (I want to say Shrewsbury?) and he did nowt so I don't think we missed too much.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 10, 2012, 08:05:26 pm by Scooter »

By all accounts he thought he'd made it and was a bit of a big time Charlie, at least that's what I'd heard anyway. Then we loaned him out to an L2 team who I forget (I want to say Shrewsbury?) and he did nowt so I don't think we missed too much.

Your right, it was shrewsbury. Anyone any idea where Fairhurst is now or is he down the jobcentre?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 10, 2012, 08:25:38 pm by MachoMadness »
A quick Google says he's playing for Macclesfield in the Conference. Doesn't seem like he's pulling up any trees there, either. 2 goals in 27 games according to Wiki.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 11, 2012, 03:58:34 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Waide suffered a similar fate to Billy with his child, don't think he was ever in the right frame of mind after that.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 12, 2012, 07:20:47 pm by albie »
Catching em younger and younger these days;
http://www.hemsworthandsouthelmsallexpress.co.uk/sport/local-sport/doncaster-rovers-spot-talents-of-south-elmsall-goalkeeper-braiden-1-5016164

Assuming Sulli hangs up his boots in 10 years time, this lad will be pushing for a spot.

Seems a bit young to be signing on to me, but what do I know!

Stantheredandwhiteman

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 12, 2012, 07:32:45 pm by Stantheredandwhiteman »
Waide has 2 goals in 10 league games this season so far.

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 12, 2012, 11:53:25 pm by MR A-Z »
I don't think Nelthorpe or Fairhurst got slated at all, thought we were all quite supportive, maybe too supportive in hope that we get a messiah from little ol' Donny. I remember Nelthorpe scoring against Northampton I think and getting nothing but praise and Fairhurst bagging 2 in 2 and he was our saviour, but none of them were actually good enough, as Ball is not good enough and Husband is playing well but I've read people saying he changes games, he doesn't! He jumps into the odd challenge and puts in a decent cross. Any Championship team could pull a player from their ranks to do that, it's just we've not had very many who can so we notice when one does.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 13, 2012, 12:30:18 am by Chris Black come back »
I don't think Nelthorpe or Fairhurst got slated at all, thought we were all quite supportive, maybe too supportive in hope that we get a messiah from little ol' Donny. I remember Nelthorpe scoring against Northampton I think and getting nothing but praise and Fairhurst bagging 2 in 2 and he was our saviour, but none of them were actually good enough, as Ball is not good enough and Husband is playing well but I've read people saying he changes games, he doesn't! He jumps into the odd challenge and puts in a decent cross. Any Championship team could pull a player from their ranks to do that, it's just we've not had very many who can so we notice when one does.

Wazak.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 13, 2012, 12:40:43 am by MachoMadness »

Woah now, how do you know Ball is not good enough? He's played 10 minutes for us! I would rather see him tested at a lower level so he can develop and pay his dues, but to write him off after 10 minutes (10 minutes in which he scored, by the way) is beyond ridiculous.

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 13, 2012, 02:00:25 am by MR A-Z »
Too hail him as a brilliant youth player who is going to walk into the first team after ten minutes in the JPT is beyond ridiculous! Yes he's scored a couple of goals for Belper who are at a lower level btw! Maybe too low ;)

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 13, 2012, 03:04:13 am by MR A-Z »

Wazak.

Wazak.
[/

Wazak.

Thought this forum was for footballing opinions? Not name calling. Feel like I'm back at school, please do enlighten me as to how you have concluded I'm a wazak.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 13, 2012, 12:36:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Too hail him as a brilliant youth player who is going to walk into the first team after ten minutes in the JPT is beyond ridiculous! Yes he's scored a couple of goals for Belper who are at a lower level btw! Maybe too low ;)

I absolutely agree, see my comments on the Jordan Ball thread, but that doesn't mean he's not good enough. There's a big difference between not being ready and being careful with him and not being good enough and just writing him off.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 13, 2012, 02:33:25 pm by roverstillidie91 »
hes scored one goal and played ten minutes

dont be raving over him just yet, could be one that doesnt make the grade, hoping that he does though

TinyPortal © 2005-2012