Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:35:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Doncaster Rovers Miscellany  (Read 1800 times)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
The Doncaster Rovers Miscellany
« on October 22, 2012, 11:29:12 pm by Mr1Croft »
Has anyone read this  book I saw it today for the first time (despite being published in 2011) in Asda (only £7.50) and thought I would buy it, after reading it quite quickly today got to say it is truly brilliant. Having read many times "Donny: The Complete History of Doncaster Rovers" I was aware of most of the facts in there but it still kept me glued to every page. I recommend it to any Rovers fan who is hungry for words of our history and our facts and stats.

I'm surprised this was the first I've seen of it if I'm honest, or did I miss something last year?

I do however have one question for Robert Marshall (the author if he is reading this): Is this a typo:

On page 11 it describes the formation of Doncaster in 1879, but then later goes on to say: "In 1872 the Club held its first AGM and elected a Chairman, secretary, treasurer and committee members" Should that read 1882 and not 1872?

Apart from that it is truly brilliant!  :thumbsup:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: The Doncaster Rovers Miscellany
« Reply #1 on October 23, 2012, 02:09:12 am by Mr1Croft »
As I said it was published last year but this is the first I've heard of it, thought I would have seen something before now.

Thats the beauty, its small and compact but it still has lots of detail. Granted it doesn't contain anywhere near as much information as the 'bible' by Tony Bluff but its a good book that you can read in an afternoon.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 23, 2012, 06:04:36 am by idler »
I saw it on Amazon and got it as one of my birthday presents, haven't read it yet though.
I never noticed it last year either though.

RM452

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 25, 2012, 01:43:49 pm by RM452 »
Mr1Croft, thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it and yes, well spotted, the date does appear to have been a typo!

I loved writing the book, it was a real labour of love and must say how grateful I am to Laurie Sheffield for giving me his time and doing a great foreword.  The time I spent with Laurie was absolutely great and listening to his stories of the 60's, and in particular of his time with Alick Jeffrey, was fantastic.

Laurie was kind enough to take part in a book signing last year with me and is a lovely bloke and a real gentleman.

I've started to put some things from the book and some extra stuff on a website. It's still a work in progress and I've lots of stuff to add to make it more interesting, it's just finding the time!

Nevertheless, I hope it's of some interest to people and if it goes well I'd like to meet up with the ex players like Laurie and post some things with them.  For us Rovers fans, I think they'd be good reads!

I'm rubbish with links but I think it's www.justapubteam.co.uk

Cheers ,
Rob

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 25, 2012, 03:14:55 pm by Red wizard »
My mother bought it yesterday.

drfc4life

« Reply #5 on October 26, 2012, 09:17:13 pm by drfc4life »
i carnt read

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 26, 2012, 09:43:17 pm by 1879Rovers »
What is the best book to get for facts and figures, like goalscorers, teamsheets and things like that. I am always keen on things like this.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 26, 2012, 10:34:14 pm by hoolahoop »
Jeez that's a great list of ''greats'' but Syd Bycroft is the man for me, 26 years a servant at Rovers. I bet no-one ever crossed him on the pitch.  :lol:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012