Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 04:14:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Radio Sheffield Wednesday's Woes  (Read 8983 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Radio Sheffield Wednesday's Woes
« on November 27, 2012, 10:16:36 pm by Donnyjim »
Christ, what have we got to do to get some credit and a mention?

It's all about doom and gloom wednesday?

Radio dee dar needs to take a long hard look at itself?

WE ARE SECOND!!!!!!!  :scarf:

Jones will be sacked tomorrow by Borat, mark my words.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Al4475

• VSC Member
Re: Radio Sheffield Wednesday's Woes
« Reply #1 on November 27, 2012, 10:25:04 pm by Al4475 »
Unfortunately we'll only get a mention if someone supporting Rovers rings in! Interesting interview with David Jones though - good listening!

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 27, 2012, 10:56:32 pm by godlike1 »
Missed that as I got bored from listening to the winging Wednesdays what did he say?

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 27, 2012, 11:03:00 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Don't mind it to be honest, it is a good laugh listening to Wednesday fans moaning all the time :thumbsup:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 27, 2012, 11:05:19 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't even try and listen to Radio Sheffield because there's no point. It's all in the name really.

Keith Myath

« Reply #5 on November 27, 2012, 11:07:15 pm by Keith Myath »
A rovers fan did get on finally but was ushered off in around 25 seconds, obviously Andy Giddens was far more concerned with his mate Dave Jones getting the sack and returned to talk at length to Wednesday fans saying the same thing over and over....

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 27, 2012, 11:08:35 pm by PaulRover08 »
A rovers fan did get on finally but was ushered off in around 25 seconds, obviously Andy Giddens was far more concerned with his mate Dave Jones getting the sack and returned to talk at length to Wednesday fans saying the same thing over and over....
It was Paul Walker not Andy Giddens

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 27, 2012, 11:12:15 pm by hoolahoop »
Unfortunately we'll only get a mention if someone supporting Rovers rings in! Interesting interview with David Jones though - good listening!

It was a good interview and imo if they take the decision to ''hound'' him out then it will confirm what I've always thought about Wendies............they are ALL mad.
As for us I would prefer it if we remained under the radar just for now . It's a long hard slog to the finishing line. Jeez wasn'tn it freezsing tonight or am I becoming old and nesh ?

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 27, 2012, 11:15:31 pm by Akinfenwa »
All I heard was five minutes from everyone's favourite manager Evans followed by what seemed like a 'Daave Jernes has got t' gerr' special.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 27, 2012, 11:16:05 pm by MachoMadness »
My heart bleeds for them. Seriously though, with us doing so well on a tight budget, I'm happy with us being under the radar at the moment, we don't want the vultures circling disrupting team spirit in January.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 27, 2012, 11:26:57 pm by donnyallday »
Its blatent BIAS,, AND IT DOES MY FECKIN HEAD IN.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 27, 2012, 11:37:05 pm by Dagenham Rover »

It was a good interview and imo if they take the decision to ''hound'' him out then it will confirm what I've always thought about Wendies............they are ALL mad.
As for us I would prefer it if we remained under the radar just for now . It's a long hard slog to the finishing line. Jeez wasn'tn it freezsing tonight or am I becoming old and nesh ?

Your just old and nesh  :lol:

LINCrover2

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 27, 2012, 11:39:38 pm by LINCrover2 »
Thought it was interesting, their fans talking about having a back four that lacks a leader, when our most influential player is a defender they released at the end of last year. Not sure what their fans thought of Jones when he was there, but was surprised when none of them mentioned about him leaving during the comments about their back 5.

For me, the show seems governed by the callers they get. If 95% of their callers are Wednesday and Blades fans, then the show is going to be 95% Sheffield club based. Can't talk about DRFC on a phone in show, when only 3/4 ring up.

Viscous circle then starts, and gets to the point where it just becomes a Sheffield show, not a Yorkshire show.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 27, 2012, 11:48:16 pm by andysly »
The most amusing thing to me about praise or grumble is the number of Blades/Wednesday fans who ring up and give us 5 minutes of their earnest opinion on what's wrong with players/managers/tactics/referees etc etc and then state that they've not been.
At least when the few and far between callers from the other 3 sides get through they have actually watched the game they're commenting on.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 27, 2012, 11:48:51 pm by MachoMadness »
Yep, sadly you only tend to hear 1-2 Rovers fans a show, if we're lucky. Sheffield has two big clubs that draw 15,000-20,000 fans a game. Our biggest home attendance in the modern era is 15,000. It is a bit annoying that we don't get much coverage but LINCrover is bang on, it's a vicious cycle because the majority are Sheffield fans, so Rovers fans get pissed off that we're not getting coverage and then don't listen/ring up.

To be honest I bet they're rubbing their hands at all the pissed off Owls fans, nothing quite captures the attention like a manager possibly getting the chop. Phone lines will be heaving tomorrow.

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 27, 2012, 11:50:18 pm by timdrfc »
Hit nail on head

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 27, 2012, 11:53:15 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Interestingly enough if you go back to the beginnings of Radio Sheffield and Radio Leeds I seem to remember Doncaster as a district got more coverage from Radio Leeds   :ohmy:

LINCrover2

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 27, 2012, 11:58:37 pm by LINCrover2 »
Yep, sadly you only tend to hear 1-2 Rovers fans a show, if we're lucky. Sheffield has two big clubs that draw 15,000-20,000 fans a game. Our biggest home attendance in the modern era is 15,000. It is a bit annoying that we don't get much coverage but LINCrover is bang on, it's a vicious cycle because the majority are Sheffield fans, so Rovers fans get pissed off that we're not getting coverage and then don't listen/ring up.

To be honest I bet they're rubbing their hands at all the pissed off Owls fans, nothing quite captures the attention like a manager possibly getting the chop. Phone lines will be heaving tomorrow.

That is another good point to consider, the number of fans that go to Blades/Wednesday fans is much greater than our attendance figures at the minute, and therefore there are going to be more people ringing up about their games than ours.

Another thing for tonight, when a team is doing well like we are, I don't think people want to ring up a radio show and say we were good. They want to talk to their mates and other Rovers than, bask in the glory if you will. Phoning up for a good moan on the other hand, get some worries off your chest and points across, maybe put some questions in the head of the man that is going to be interviewing the gaffer seems like a much better reason for ringing radio sheff on the way home. Just a thought?

Personally think Trax FM should be pushing to get better access to DRFC if it is at all possible? Not match commentary, but someone at the game and then hosting a praise/grumble type show after the game.

Is this something that could be looked at?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 28, 2012, 12:01:06 am by hoolahoop »
Hit nail on head

Can I take it that you don't rate Dave Jones either Tim ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 28, 2012, 12:02:44 am by RedJ »

That is another good point to consider, the number of fans that go to Blades/Wednesday fans is much greater than our attendance figures at the minute, and therefore there are going to be more people ringing up about their games than ours.

Another thing for tonight, when a team is doing well like we are, I don't think people want to ring up a radio show and say we were good. They want to talk to their mates and other Rovers than, bask in the glory if you will. Phoning up for a good moan on the other hand, get some worries off your chest and points across, maybe put some questions in the head of the man that is going to be interviewing the gaffer seems like a much better reason for ringing radio sheff on the way home. Just a thought?

Personally think Trax FM should be pushing to get better access to DRFC if it is at all possible? Not match commentary, but someone at the game and then hosting a praise/grumble type show after the game.

Is this something that could be looked at?

They have Paul Mayfield at matches, but I like the idea of Trax doing their own kind of praise or grumble.

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 28, 2012, 12:08:55 am by timdrfc »
Hit nail on head

Can I take it that you don't rate Dave Jones either Tim ?
Too true, hope they keep him all season long:)

LINCrover2

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 28, 2012, 12:09:27 am by LINCrover2 »
Match updates are fine, if that's what they provide. Why not utilise it so much further, how high can their listening figures be on a Tuesday night anyway?

I have interviewed Paul Mayfield before for a radio piece I worked on at university last year, and he can speak very well. He could get to the studio from the KM in minutes, give a much more detailed talk on the game and other issues. Then they could encourage fans to phone/text/tweet their opinions, to push the debate further.

Seems to me like an obvious link to make between a VERY local station and the football club. If the reason is that their is nobody around to take the show on, I'll do it.

:)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 28, 2012, 12:14:47 am by RedJ »
Match updates are fine, if that's what they provide. Why not utilise it so much further, how high can their listening figures be on a Tuesday night anyway?

I have interviewed Paul Mayfield before for a radio piece I worked on at university last year, and he can speak very well. He could get to the studio from the KM in minutes, give a much more detailed talk on the game and other issues. Then they could encourage fans to phone/text/tweet their opinions, to push the debate further.

Seems to me like an obvious link to make between a VERY local station and the football club. If the reason is that their is nobody around to take the show on, I'll do it.

Doesn't seem there is anyone, might be best off doing that. Mayfield goes home and away too so he wouldn't be able to do much for away games beyond what he currently does.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 28, 2012, 12:16:07 am by Dagenham Rover »
Even if it was  say 9.45 till 10.30  or  5 till 6 catch the crowd on there way home in the car

LINCrover2

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 28, 2012, 12:19:18 am by LINCrover2 »
Yeah, away games obviously will be harder obviously. I'm not sure what kind of equipment Trax have access too, but it could be possible to keep in touch with him after the match through ISDN/Phone links, so he as well as the presenter can talk to their fans. If not then maybe just a 10/15 minute with Paul after the game about his thoughts, which could throw up questions/topics for the fans to then discuss further.

Would Trax need permission from the club to set up such a thing? Is there any way the VSC could look to solve the problems that fans have with the clubs coverage on local radio by looking to push this?

Again, as a journalism graduate looking for a job, I'll do it.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 28, 2012, 12:21:59 am by Viking Don »
Got it in one LINC, people are far more likely to ring up to moan than to praise, and the media being what it is will always prefer to air negative shite than anything positive. Take any news programs, they only ever give any good news as a stupid little cute story at the end. They love it when there's a serial killer on the loose, or people are being flooded etc..

LINCrover2

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 28, 2012, 12:35:35 am by LINCrover2 »
It surprises me that a link with a station so local has never been pushed before, if there are no legal rights blocking it that is.

Not sure the if the VSC would be able to push it or not, but if anyone has an e-mail address for Mr Mayfield, I wouldn't mind dropping him an e-mail to see if anything has ever been said about this in the past?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 28, 2012, 12:39:12 am by RedJ »
He's on here as retford rover, LINC.

LINCrover2

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 28, 2012, 12:42:28 am by LINCrover2 »
Ahhh he may see this then and give it a read.

If he doesn't comment on it by tomorrow night, I may send him a message.

Especially as this seems to be a popular idea?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 28, 2012, 01:06:24 am by RedJ »
I'd certainly listen, and could attract more listeners for Trax if they're seen as "Rovers Radio", if you like.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012