Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 02:06:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: robert Betts  (Read 3082 times)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
robert Betts
« on December 23, 2012, 06:35:51 pm by coventryrover »
could anyone be kind enough to summarise what Cov City did to us regarding Robert Betts please.

Just want to pass this on to some on my city supporting chums

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re: robert Betts
« Reply #1 on December 23, 2012, 07:30:44 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Hi CR

As I remember it Coventry signed Roberts Betts from us at the end of the 1997-8 season as we were being relegated to the Conference. A fee of 45K was set by tribunal. Thereafter Coventry claimed the tribunal was only valid between Football League teams and therefore they owed us nothing. At a later stage, after JR had taken over, he took some sort of legal action (described in Ashes to Glory I think) which meant Coventry paid a certain amount in installments, but I am not sure if we got the full 45K.

What stuck in my throat at least was at that time they were a Premiership club with all the attendant income allowing them to buy and sell players like Robbie Keane for 6-7M.

To be fair I think Coventry supporters were embarrassed and sympathetic to us, but Strachan and everyone else in management positions were definitely not. 

Let us know how their fans react now!

:rtid:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 24, 2012, 10:12:15 am by The Red Baron »
"To be fair I think Coventry supporters were embarrassed and sympathetic to us, but Strachan and everyone else in management positions were definitely not."

I have a good friend who is a Cov fan and the very mention of the word "Strachan" is likely to provoke outpourings of barely-controlled rage. I just think he's a git myself.

Robert Betts never really fulfilled his potential at Coventry and went down considerably in my estimation when he did an interview in the Coventry programme in which he made no mention of his time at Rovers but did profess a lifelong devotion to Leeds United. Another Donny White- just what the world needs!

I believe he emigrated to Australia a few years back. Not sure what he's doing now.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 24, 2012, 01:23:03 pm by jonnydog »
He was in my class(s) at school, and his sister is friends with Mrs JD. He is still in Australia, though no longer playing football, I believe he's working a trade now.

Can't remember if he was a white though, he certainly never wore a weeds shirt when we played footy. He was a good lad.

He was also related to Maurice setters.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:26:35 pm by jonnydog »

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 24, 2012, 03:21:43 pm by roversontheup »
I seem to recall that Maurice setters was his grandad.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 24, 2012, 04:22:46 pm by jonnydog »
I seem to recall that Maurice setters was his grandad.

That's what my first thought was. Didn't want to commit to that though.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 24, 2012, 04:35:23 pm by RedJ »
Maurice Setters eh? Any relation to Red? :coat:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012