Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:36:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brian Flynn & Rob Jones  (Read 6583 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Brian Flynn & Rob Jones
« on January 08, 2013, 12:26:26 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Unless some absolutely fabulous candidate (more Jennifer Sunders than Dean  :silly:) comes along, here is why I would applaud the appointment of Brian Flynn & Rob Jones until the end of the season:

1.   Continuity. We are not a club in a relegation struggle needing a shake-up which is the more common situation when we lose a manager.  As BillyStubbsTears has shrewdly pointed out, apart from Dean, only Billy Bremner of our managers in the last 50 years has been headhunted by another larger 'richer' club. We need to make sure we do not lose what we have in terms of spirit, balance and momentum, and gradually improve rather than start all over.

2.   Managerial and Player experience. They say a manager's team often reflects his traits as a player. Dean was one of the most creative players I can ever remember. A classic illustration of this is the goal he scored for Bradford when after he and the opposing keeper chased a long ball, the keeper slid to knock the ball into touch and began to turn back; Dean took a quick throw against the keeper's body, took the rebound and put the ball into an empty net before the keeper could recover  - inventive thinking of the very highest order.  So I find it strange the team he developed with us was so tight and efficient in defence, and relatively so lacking in creativity. I suggest that Brian Carey might turn out to be a huge loss as well as Mal Purchase.  Appointing Rob and Brian would hopefully cover defence and a more creative midfield, and maybe we could look to Robbie Blake to look after the strikers, especially Jordan Ball. Brian Flynn has excellent management experience including no less than 12 successive years as manager of Wrexham - that length of stay is not granted anywhere to mediocre managers. By comparison our own longest serving manager in one stint was Peter Doherty with just shy of 9 years (Billy Bremner slightly exceeded the total time, but in two stints). I would delighted if Brian is willing to become fully involved on a longer term basis.  :thumbsup:

3.   History & precedents. As Donnyjim points out in another thread, Scunthorpe managed very well in similar circumstances in 2006-7. However Rovers supporters of very long memories will remember Bill Leivers resigning for personal reasons in February 1966 with Rovers in a promotion challenging position.  Trainer Frank Marshall and Chief Scout (recognise the position?) Jackie Bestall were put in charge until the end of the season, by which time Rovers had become 4th Division Champions. 

4.   Transfer Dealings. There can't be much wheeling and dealing in the current transfer window unless someone leaves - not much chance for an outsider to change the personnel - i.e. as said above it is a case of running with what we have.  IMHO the biggest risk would be the loss of Cotterill or Jones. Clearly Jones would stay, but the presence of Flynn, presumably still well connected with the Welsh national setup, would mean Cotterill's ambitions to regain favour with the Welsh selectors might not suffer a major setback with Dean's departure.

5.   Photo Ops: I am just waiting to see all those pictures of Brian and Rob looking face into navel  :laugh:

Notwithstanding any of the above I fully trust JR and the board to continue their truly excellent track record of choosing managers.  :thumbsup:

:rtid: :rtid: :rtid:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:31:28 pm by Dutch Uncle »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Re: Brain Flynn & Rob Jones
« Reply #1 on January 08, 2013, 12:32:23 pm by Lesonthewest »
Seconded. Some great points there Dutch, maybe give them the reigns untill the end of the season & see where we are then. If we go t$ts up from this position then bring someone in.

newyankee

• VSC Member
Re: Brian Flynn & Rob Jones
« Reply #2 on January 08, 2013, 12:34:03 pm by newyankee »
Probably the best post yet regarding the rest of the season.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 08, 2013, 12:36:31 pm by donny dave »
I would not be against this if we can keep the momentum going.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 08, 2013, 12:38:25 pm by Filo »
Unless some absolutely fabulous candidate (more Jennifer Sunders than Dean  :silly:) comes along, here is why I would applaud the appointment of Brian Flynn & Rob Jones until the end of the season:

1.   Continuity. We are not a club in a relegation struggle needing a shake-up which is the more common situation when we lose a manager.  As BillyStubbsTears has shrewdly pointed out, apart from Dean, only Billy Bremner of our managers in the last 50 years has been headhunted by another larger 'richer' club. We need to make sure we do not lose what we have in terms of spirit, balance and momentum, and gradually improve rather than start all over.

2.   Managerial and Player experience. They say a manager's team often reflects his traits as a player. Dean was one of the most creative players I can ever remember. A classic illustration of this is the goal he scored for Bradford when after he and the opposing keeper chased a long ball, the keeper slid to knock the ball into touch and began to turn back; Dean took a quick throw against the keeper's body, took the rebound and put the ball into an empty net before the keeper could recover  - inventive thinking of the very highest order.  So I find it strange the team he developed with us was so tight and efficient in defence, and relatively so lacking in creativity. I suggest that Brian Carey might turn out to be a huge loss as well as Mal Purchase.  Appointing Rob and Brian would hopefully cover defence and a more creative midfield, and maybe we could look to Robbie Blake to look after the strikers, especially Jordan Ball. Brian Flynn has excellent management experience including no less than 12 successive years as manager of Wrexham - that length of stay is not granted anywhere to mediocre managers. By comparison our own longest serving manager in one stint was Peter Doherty with just shy of 9 years (Billy Bremner slightly exceeded the total time, but in two stints). I would delighted if Brian is willing to become fully involved on a longer term basis.  :thumbsup:

3.   History & precedents. As Donnyjim points out in another thread, Scunthorpe managed very well in similar circumstances in 2006-7. However Rovers supporters of very long memories will remember Bill Leivers resigning for personal reasons in February 1966 with Rovers in a promotion challenging position.  Trainer Frank Marshall and Chief Scout (recognise the position?) Jackie Bestall were put in charge until the end of the season, by which time Rovers had become 4th Division Champions. 

4.   Transfer Dealings. There can't be much wheeling and dealing in the current transfer window unless someone leaves - not much chance for an outsider to change the personnel - i.e. as said above it is a case of running with what we have.  IMHO the biggest risk would be the loss of Cotterill or Jones. Clearly Jones would stay, but the presence of Flynn, presumably still well connected with the Welsh national setup, would mean Cotterill's ambitions to regain favour with the Welsh selectors might not suffer a major setback with Dean's departure.

5.   Photo Ops: I am just waiting to see all those pictures of Brian and Rob looking face into navel  :laugh:

Notwithstanding any of the above I fully trust JR and the board to continue their truly excellent track record of choosing managers.  :thumbsup:

Another nit pick from me

He scored that goal for Sheff Utd ;)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 08, 2013, 12:39:38 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Dammit Filo, you just undermined my whole argument   :laugh:

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 08, 2013, 12:48:45 pm by rtid88 »
Totally agree with all points, any manager that comes in external of the club will want to change things and this will obviously take time! To keep the balance of the squad and the same playing mentality at this stage of the season with basically no money to spend is vital!

I was not fully aware of Brian Flynn's achievements in the game but this man has a wealth of experience and really could be the man for the job. As has previously been said the only downside of this partnership would be how much it would disrupt Jones's playing role.

I also genuinely believe that Mal Purchase is going to be a massive loss to the squad as the work he has been doing with the players has clearly worked dividends this season and his role would need to be covered pretty quickly IMO!!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 08, 2013, 12:49:57 pm by River Don »
More nit picking I know but wasn't O'Driscoll headhunted by Burnley and Sheffield United?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 08, 2013, 12:52:47 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Nit picking I know but wasn't O'Driscoll headhunted by Burnley and Sheffield United?

Apologies River Don - you are right. What I meant to say was that Dean and Bremner are the only managers we have actually lost in this time in Headhunting circumstances - i.e. was not sacked or left for personal reasons, or retired etc

Seal Sullivan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 08, 2013, 02:23:15 pm by Seal Sullivan »
Maybe we should just hire Jones and Flynn until the end of the season and spend all the compo on a player, as we already have Jones and Flynn on the books anyway. Also that way overall we've saved money on Dean Saunders wages, Brian Carey's and Mal's wages we'll be well under budget. We would have effectively knocked 3 people off the wage list, and got some compo.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 08, 2013, 02:31:26 pm by drfc1951 »
Dutch Uncle mentioned Robbie Blake being involved,would make more sense than Jones as he doesnt play as much.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 08, 2013, 03:04:31 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Maybe we should just hire Jones and Flynn until the end of the season and spend all the compo on a player, as we already have Jones and Flynn on the books anyway. Also that way overall we've saved money on Dean Saunders wages, Brian Carey's and Mal's wages we'll be well under budget. We would have effectively knocked 3 people off the wage list, and got some compo.

Don't think it is that simple SS

First of all Brian Flynn would presumably become a full time employee rather than his presumably part time scouting activities - certainly he would need to be paid more than what we give him now.  Also Rob Jones would presumably have to be rewarded financially for his increased responsibilities. Then we would definitely need to replace Mal Purchase. It might all be a net profit on wages, but we certainly won't have saved all of 3 full time wages.

However I would hope the Compensation would be available for some use, be it for playing or managerial staff.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 08, 2013, 03:24:18 pm by roverssam1879 »

1.   Continuity.

You had me after the first word... nothing else needs to be added.

Seal Sullivan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 08, 2013, 04:01:34 pm by Seal Sullivan »

Don't think it is that simple SS

First of all Brian Flynn would presumably become a full time employee rather than his presumably part time scouting activities - certainly he would need to be paid more than what we give him now.  Also Rob Jones would presumably have to be rewarded financially for his increased responsibilities. Then we would definitely need to replace Mal Purchase. It might all be a net profit on wages, but we certainly won't have saved all of 3 full time wages.

However I would hope the Compensation would be available for some use, be it for playing or managerial staff.

Sorry if I made it out we were getting rid of 3 people's wages lol. I meant to add to my point that we are losing 3 people's wages, (but obviously some of that has now been taken up by Flynn and Jones) and I was just trying to raise the point that the option of Flynn and jones I think could save the club a lot of money. (especially seen as none of the compo would have to go on compo for another club, if we take their manager.).

What I think, is this option saves at the very least Brian cares wages as I think they are completely wiped off, (however I don't know how much he was on in the first place, so I don't know the value of wiping off his wages). Because if you think it through, if we sign a new Mal, that's his wages accounted for, and that leaves Dean's and Carey's wages still available. Flynn was already at the club so he was already being paid, albeit presumably part time or on an ad hoc basis. And jones is already at the club (and is probably already earning a good wage), so is it safe to say that we can use deans old wage to cover the wage increases of Jones and Flynn? Leaving Carey's wages and all the compo? Must be able to afford a decent player/players with all that wonga? (But this is where someone tells me that assistant managers earn absolute naff all, and our compo was also naff all)

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 08, 2013, 05:18:16 pm by albie »
Bringing in a new manager now is only worth it if he can trade in the transfer window, IMO.

As we have seem to have spent the additional money allowed by the owners on Sinclair, Fowler and a deal for Griffin, a new manager needs to move someone out to bring in new blood.

Unlikely to happen, given he (or she) will need to get to know the players and their abilities etc, and the short time until the window closes.

Better to offer Flynn/Jones a month to start off, and if that is going well extend it for the rest of the season. Then a review in May, and either decide to stick with it or make changes in good time for next season.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2013, 07:07:03 pm by albie »
Great win today, and if we follow it up with a home win these two are surely in pole position for the management job.

WSC has an article on the Saunders era;
http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1156-january-2013/9284-mixed-feelings-about-dean-saunders-exit-at-doncaster
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:25:57 pm by albie »

Hrrtfordshire Loyal

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2013, 07:25:59 pm by Hrrtfordshire Loyal »
Sering the reaction from Jones at full time today.....If it aint broken do go looking to fix it.
Keep it as it is until end of season the players know the system etc no need to change a winning formula

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2013, 07:31:27 pm by philsky »
Sering the reaction from Jones at full time today.....If it aint broken do go looking to fix it.
Keep it as it is until end of season the players know the system etc no need to change a winning formula

Works for me.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 12, 2013, 07:33:34 pm by BigH »
A very well argued piece Dutch. I agree with a lot of what you say.

However, I think there is an argument against Flynn/Jones and it goes like this. We are now in with a genuine chance of getting promoted. We need to learn the lessons of what happened last time we went up to the Championship. It took us ages to adjust and the club's lack of experience and naivety at all levels - board, manager, players - showed. We have a chance to recruit a manager with experience of successfully managing in the Championship who could not only keep up the momentum on this season but start planning for next. That could only realistically happen if he was familiar with the current squad.

That is in no way a vote for Gary Megson by the way.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 12, 2013, 07:50:37 pm by southwestexile »
I think the point about a new manager coming in and changing everything around (to the detriment of our current momentum) is a fair point if we appoint someone with a big reputation but a candidate who comes from an assistant or senior coaching role could be given the brief to carry on with what we have.  In this instance, it would be good to get 4 months experience dealing with the pressure of staying in an automatic promotion slot and the whole back room team considering what needs to be added/changed for a Championship season.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 12, 2013, 07:59:56 pm by albie »
Post match interview with Brian Flynn on the BBC;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20919087

DRFCBRADFORD

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 12, 2013, 08:19:40 pm by DRFCBRADFORD »
im off 2 the bookies on monday £5 on b flynn 20/1

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 17, 2013, 05:11:54 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Very happy with this appointment for exactly all the reasons I gave above.

Thanks JR and the board - now let's all get behind the new management team

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 17, 2013, 05:23:59 pm by PDX_Rover »
Agree with every word Dutch. Onwards and upwards.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 17, 2013, 05:25:41 pm by besty »
Would anyone expect much change in tactics,formations  from Mr.Flynn ?

pubteam

« Reply #25 on January 17, 2013, 05:27:48 pm by pubteam »
Would anyone expect much change in tactics,formations  from Mr.Flynn ?

He's his own man, so I'm sure he'll try and introduce some of his own ideas where he thinks they will improve us. But I think he's wise enough and knows enough about how the team operated under Dean to know that wholesale changes could be disruptive.

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 17, 2013, 05:28:15 pm by MrWoodySir »
Wouldn't have been my personal chose, but could do a good job.

9 years outside of Football management is a bloody long time though. 

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 17, 2013, 05:29:39 pm by newyankee »
 I think it will basically be the show goes on as is. The only thing I think might change, is that we may play a slightly better brand of football allied to the get stuck in method and approach we use already. Put the two together and the are a recipe for promotion .

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 17, 2013, 05:29:56 pm by Chris »
Wouldn't have been my personal chose, but could do a good job.

9 years outside of Football management is a bloody long time though. 

He's only been out of management since May.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 17, 2013, 05:44:32 pm by albie »
Bringing in a new manager now is only worth it if he can trade in the transfer window, IMO.

As we have seem to have spent the additional money allowed by the owners on Sinclair, Fowler and a deal for Griffin, a new manager needs to move someone out to bring in new blood.

Unlikely to happen, given he (or she) will need to get to know the players and their abilities etc, and the short time until the window closes.

Better to offer Flynn/Jones a month to start off, and if that is going well extend it for the rest of the season. Then a review in May, and either decide to stick with it or make changes in good time for next season.

Bloody hell! Move over mystic Meg, i've got the gift!

Whats the odds on Mac Wilson for Director of Football?
Prem in 3 years with Mac, one for the future;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/17/doncaster-rovers-appoint-brian-flynn?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012