Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:55:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Our CEO is going nowhere!  (Read 3808 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Our CEO is going nowhere!
« on January 21, 2013, 01:56:39 pm by silent majority »
Thanks for Gavin for taking the time to get in touch, but its the first opportunity he has had to be able to deny the various media speculation about his role at Doncaster. He's been in meetings all day so he felt the first people who should hear about his current position is the DRFC supporters.

We had quite a long chat as it happens, mostly about the IRWT campaign and the follow up to the Fans Forum at the Keepmoat recently, all great news as well.

But the bit I liked best was how he described his satisfaction at DRFC, in fact the words he used were 'I love it here'. He thought that Saturday was the best occasion of his short career with us so far, the fact that the fans, players and staff are all pulling in the same direction, all trying their best to make sure that we all feel a part of this club. The atmosphere on Saturday, along with a 20 minute rendition of 'Bryan Flynn's barmy army' was noted by himself and fellow board members, but the atmosphere around the club is also good, on and off the pitch. He did finish by saying he hasn't achieved what he wants to yet, there's still along way to go, but he's determined to finish what he's started. He's not going anywhere!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

eastender

• VSC Member
Re: Our CEO is going nowhere!
« Reply #1 on January 21, 2013, 01:59:14 pm by eastender »
Amen  :)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 21, 2013, 02:01:04 pm by RobTheRover »
Night night,  horrible FLJs and your meddling ways. All put to bed.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 21, 2013, 02:02:39 pm by Filo »
That`s good to hear and all that I have been asking for all morning, the fact that he`s been in meetings ( not at the city ground I hope)  :)  explains the silence, cheers Gavin!  :thumbsup:

And SM for the update

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 21, 2013, 02:03:43 pm by MachoMadness »
Great to hear, and great to get this one shot down so quickly. Nice positive statements from GB as ever! Cheers as ever SM for the updates.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 21, 2013, 03:11:33 pm by Red wizard »
Thank god for that. Thanks for the update Martin.

RedmanRufus

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 21, 2013, 03:53:25 pm by RedmanRufus »
Thanks a lot SM, don't buy the star and there proxy stories when you can get info online  :aok:  :cold:

You reds

RedmanRufus

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 21, 2013, 03:53:44 pm by RedmanRufus »
Thanks a lot SM, don't buy the star and there poxy stories when you can get info online  :aok:  :cold:

You reds

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 21, 2013, 03:59:44 pm by NathanDRFC »
Just goes to show what an asset GB is too the club.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 21, 2013, 06:27:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thanks for the reassurance. I know Saturday was good on a number of fronts but Gavin, you ain't see nothing yet.

I believe more folk of Donny will come around and at some point, we'll have a couple of bumper attendances and he'll be rewarded for pulling this club up to a different level.   

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 21, 2013, 06:32:40 pm by The L J Monk »
On the main forum menu, the title of this post is abbreviated to "Our CEO is going now...."

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 21, 2013, 06:44:43 pm by Jonathan »
Excellent news, although I fail to see what the Star or Paul Goodwin or anyone else has done wrong in all of this. If Forest have expressed interest it's newsworthy, it's also little surprise given the job he's doing here. Baldwin has committed his future and that's the outcome we all wanted.

Gavin Baldwin has shown more in a matter of months than Morris did in several years. He is a huge asset to the club and it's brilliant that he's reaffirmed his commitment.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 21, 2013, 06:52:20 pm by The L J Monk »
If Gavin Baldwin were to leave, I'm sure this Gary Baldwin chap, who people also praise, could take up the reins.

Continuity is key.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 21, 2013, 06:52:36 pm by Northants Nomad »
And this openness is just what has turned our club around in the last 9 months or so. Many CEOs would give it the big "no comment" but he felt close enough to the coal face to come out and be open with us.

In turn, he is reaping what he is sowing - there is a togetherness and feel-good factor like I haven't felt for absolutely AGES.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 21, 2013, 06:56:11 pm by silent majority »
Jonathan,

The fact is Forest never contacted Gavin, and the Star or Paul could have made a quick call before tweeting the inflammatory message. But I suppose it does depend on what you class as newsworthy, for me there was nothing worth reporting.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 21, 2013, 07:24:15 pm by RobTheRover »
Exactly right,  Martin. At the risk of pointing the finger and labelling the Star/DFP guys as FLJs,  I would suggest a good journalist checks his sources are correct before running the story.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 21, 2013, 08:19:00 pm by Jonathan »
I rate Paul as a journalist and the quality of the writing is now unrecognisable from the dire days of Hosscack so I think it's only fair somebody tries to redress the balance if that's what they believe.

Speculation is a part of the game and we'll never be immune to it, we just have to manage it and we've managed this one well. The article itself cited a Rovers statement saying that there had been no contact, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't / isn't interest. The good that comes out of it is that it reminds people what an asset Gavin is, and allows him a platform to reaffirm his commitment. No harm done.

As someone that reads and listens to the local media I appreciate people like Paul Goodwin, Liam Hoden and Seth Bennett who all, like Peter Catt and Alan Smith before them, genuinely care about the clubs and provide people with an excellent insight.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 21, 2013, 08:41:58 pm by ian1980 »
I don't think for a minute he would have considered going at this point in time.

He has a cushy number right now with the club, the board love him and the fans love him. He can work in an environment knowing his job is a safe as its likely to get. Job security is a big factor.

The club are also on to a good thing with Gavin, he knows what he's doing, forward thinking and extremely passionate about what he's trying to achieve.

Everything about it just feels right. Now, why he would want to risk all that by going to a poison chalice like forest, when they change staff more often than some people change their underwear is ridiculous.

I think he knows he has it good here and the club know they have a good guy doing his thing.

Long may it continue

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 21, 2013, 08:49:43 pm by not on facebook »
My beers  will taste alot better tonite despite the price i have to pay,after reading this Thread.

Onwards and upwards

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 21, 2013, 09:08:22 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
I rate Paul as a journalist and the quality of the writing is now unrecognisable from the dire days of Hosscack so I think it's only fair somebody tries to redress the balance if that's what they believe.

Speculation is a part of the game and we'll never be immune to it, we just have to manage it and we've managed this one well. The article itself cited a Rovers statement saying that there had been no contact, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't / isn't interest. The good that comes out of it is that it reminds people what an asset Gavin is, and allows him a platform to reaffirm his commitment. No harm done.

As someone that reads and listens to the local media I appreciate people like Paul Goodwin, Liam Hoden and Seth Bennett who all, like Peter Catt and Alan Smith before them, genuinely care about the clubs and provide people with an excellent insight.

There's a difference between speculation and writing utter nonsense.
Goodwin has managed to achieve that a number of times in the last fortnight. Appreciate he is only "trying to do a job", but it's not very helpful, useful or accurate.
You may be biased towards him as a friend. Fair play to you for sticking up for him. I'd do the same.

But with the manager short list and now this; he's been way off the mark twice in quick succession and he's made himself look a plank.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 21, 2013, 09:33:34 pm by wilts rover »
It's pretty obvious that the story has come from the Forest side. They obviously want Baldwin, so they speak to their local press - who then speak to Goodwin and become the 'Star sources understand'. Forest are just fishing to see if GB would bite, Goodwin has to cover it as it is a 'scoop'..... sauces in my cupboard understand....

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 21, 2013, 09:52:22 pm by RobTheRover »
I hope he wasnt paid on HP......

Sorry, coat on

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 21, 2013, 09:53:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
Come on Rob. You are miles behind on this. Ketchup will you.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 21, 2013, 10:02:05 pm by hoolahoop »

There's a difference between speculation and writing utter nonsense.
Goodwin has managed to achieve that a number of times in the last fortnight. Appreciate he is only "trying to do a job", but it's not very helpful, useful or accurate.
You may be biased towards him as a friend. Fair play to you for sticking up for him. I'd do the same.

But with the manager short list and now this; he's been way off the mark twice in quick succession and he's made himself look a plank.

I couldn't agree more, solid info or don't bother..........conjecture and weak rumours are not helping us.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 21, 2013, 10:11:18 pm by RobTheRover »
Not helping us, but selling papers and keeping the wolf from the door.  I dont doubt the Star/DFP reporters have Rovers close to their hearts, but come on guys, cant you see bullshit like this does more harm than good?  Is checking a fact ot two too much to ask, or was today such a slow news day that you thought, "Ah, f**k it, lets do the story anyway"?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012