Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:38:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers have not been at the 5th Rd stage of FA Cup since 1953/54?  (Read 2642 times)

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
And we have never got past the 5th round stage. Something that l wondered yesterday while watching the draw. "When were the last time Rovers were in the hat for the 5th rd?"

In the League Cup we have been past the 3rd Round only once in the cup's history, the run a few years ago.

Remarkably, we must be one of the worst cup sides in the country, or just damn unlucky at it! Pity because it can be a great money spinner with a decent draw.

Thank god for the league. :lol:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Rovers have not been at the 5th Rd stage of FA Cup since 1953/54?
« Reply #1 on January 28, 2013, 11:19:55 am by Filo »
And we have never got past the 5th round stage. Something that l wondered yesterday while watching the draw. "When were the last time Rovers were in the hat for the 5th rd?"

In the League Cup we have been past the 3rd Round only once in the cup's history, the run a few years ago.

Remarkably, we must be one of the worst cup sides in the country, or just damn unlucky at it! Pity because it can be a great money spinner with a decent draw.

We`ve been in the quarter finals of the league cup twice 1975/76 against Tottenham and 2005/06 against Arsenal

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 28, 2013, 12:04:28 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Aye, good memory. Before my time, lost 7-2.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 28, 2013, 12:11:30 pm by hoolahoop »

We`ve been in the quarter finals of the league cup twice 1975/76 against Tottenham and 2005/06 against Arsenal

I know I was at both those fixtures JD needs to do some homework! However he is correct in saying that we haven't got the best history in the Cups sadly :(
Incidentally we took '000s to White Hart Lane scored first and me and some mates got a good hiding that day., so did the team and they DIDN'T deserve it  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:21:28 pm by hoolahoop »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 28, 2013, 01:28:17 pm by BobG »
We played staggeringly well that night at White Hart Lane. We matched em until Les Chappell left Easy for Dennis completely wrong footed with gentle, gentle, gentle back pass. after that the England centre forward, Martin Chivers, just went berserk.  Somewhere or other I've still got the London Evening Standard from the day after. Guess what the backpage headline was?

'Lucky Spurs. Lucky'

BobG

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 28, 2013, 01:30:28 pm by DonnyNoel »
Didn't we go on a ten year run of not winning a game in the FA Cup in the 90's/00's? Broken when we beat Southend with Penney scoring?

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 28, 2013, 02:10:06 pm by Jim Dobbin »
8 seasons running knocked out of the FA Cup and League cup at the first round 1990-1998, 1998-99 got into the FA Cup 2nd round and then back to normal in the FA Cup not getting past the first for another few years.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #7 on January 28, 2013, 03:16:48 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
I remember White Hart Lane and losing 7-2. I was at Uni in Liverpool and me and my mates went down on the train to Euston (not Kings Cross) where we were the only people in the entire station wearing Rovers colours......oh dear.

And then all those years when a first round replay was regarded as a good cup run.

Then the wilderness years when we could only dream of League football, let alone the league cup!!!

But hey chaps, lets be positive and think about our appearance in the third round of the FA cup next year...... .

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 28, 2013, 05:26:47 pm by RedJ »
If Heffs had erm shall we say presented ASDA with the ball that night we'd have been further in any cup than ever before.. :(

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 28, 2013, 08:38:09 pm by 1879Rovers »
We was in the FA Cup fifth round draw in 2009 after we drew with Aston Villa in the fourth round. We drew Everton away in the fifth round before losing to Villa in the replay.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 28, 2013, 09:35:57 pm by graingrover »
Jan 1954 against First Division  Sunderland  Rovers won 0-2 ( at Roker Park) , McMorran got both I think. I was in Primary school and remember standing in the street  in Dunscroft that Saturday night until I could hear the distant cry of GREEN 'UN  as the vendor made his way down Broadway. Reading the match report  only hours after the match was a thrill in those days to us kids. I have tried in vain to find a match report of that game ... I suppose the Green 'un archives are accessible somewhere but not online. 

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 28, 2013, 09:50:14 pm by graingrover »
In February 1953, McMorran was brought to Doncaster for then club record of £8,000 by fellow Irishman, player manager Peter Doherty, who also was manager of Northern Ireland at the time. This was a time when they were enjoying a successful period in League Division 2. In 1954 they made it to the Fifth Round of the FA Cup for the first time, knocking out big-spending Sunderland where McMorran scored twice in the 2–0 win.... BIG SPENDING would be about £20,000 and we splashed out £8000.
          Two years later Hary Gregg left us for Man U for a club record fee of £23,000 and was one of the survivors of the Munich air disaster of course.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #12 on January 28, 2013, 09:54:44 pm by GM-MarkB »
I remember the Cup run of 75/76....

Got stuck outside trying to get in the Town End and missed the first 2 goals in the 3-1 win over Torquay

The 2-1 win against Hull was the biggest crowd for a home Rovers match i've ever been at over 25,000...Ray Ternant's stooping back post header sealing the win !

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
We was in the FA Cup fifth round draw in 2009 after we drew with Aston Villa in the fourth round. We drew Everton away in the fifth round before losing to Villa in the replay.

:( :(

The Loan Arranger

• Forum Member
We matched em until Les Chappell left Easy for Dennis completely wrong footed with gentle, gentle, gentle back pass. after that the England centre forward, Martin Chivers, just went berserk.  'Lucky Spurs. Lucky'

BobG

How many minutes did it take the ball to cross the line? I still have nightmares about it!!  What about the world class save from Pat Jennings though - best I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 29, 2013, 09:54:33 am by hoolahoop »
We matched em until Les Chappell left Easy for Dennis completely wrong footed with gentle, gentle, gentle back pass. after that the England centre forward, Martin Chivers, just went berserk.  'Lucky Spurs. Lucky'

BobG

How many minutes did it take the ball to cross the line? I still have nightmares about it!!  What about the world class save from Pat Jennings though - best I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!

Then again Pat Jennings was the best keeper I've EVER seen.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
Jan 1954 against First Division  Sunderland  Rovers won 0-2 ( at Roker Park) , McMorran got both I think. I was in Primary school and remember standing in the street  in Dunscroft that Saturday night until I could hear the distant cry of GREEN 'UN  as the vendor made his way down Broadway. Reading the match report  only hours after the match was a thrill in those days to us kids. I have tried in vain to find a match report of that game ... I suppose the Green 'un archives are accessible somewhere but not online. 

Hi mate..try Doncaster Library. I'm sure they keep all those records on computer or something

Regards

Ray

PS You can't even get todays green un on line. I have asked on many occassions if they would put it on line and let fans pay a subscription to view it. But they wont even answer e-mails let alone do it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:18:00 am by bradford exile »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 29, 2013, 11:40:14 am by BobG »
  What about the world class save from Pat Jennings though - best I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

He did it twice that night didn't he? Both Chris Balderstone shots and both right into the very top corner. Another night we could have been 4-2 up.

Cheers

BobG

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 29, 2013, 12:46:17 pm by hoolahoop »
  What about the world class save from Pat Jennings though - best I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!

He did it twice that night didn't he? Both Chris Balderstone shots and both right into the very top corner. Another night we could have been 4-2 up.

Cheers

BobG
[/quote]

He did indeed but as I said earlier the amount of 'world class' saves he made in his lengthy career made him imo one of the best if not THE best keeper during my lifetime.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012