Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:50:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Easiest way to save money on gas and electricity  (Read 2350 times)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Easiest way to save money on gas and electricity
« on February 07, 2013, 11:59:04 am by mjdgreg »
Join now and start to save money. This link is only for those that can be bothered to put a little bit of effort into saving money. It will not apply to the vast majority that can't be arsed and like nothing better than to moan about how much gas and electricity prices keep going up.

https://cheapenergyclub.moneysavingexpert.com/energy/results

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re: Easiest way to save money on gas and electricity
« Reply #1 on February 07, 2013, 01:41:10 pm by MrFrost »
The media reaction to gas and electric prices is all a massive over reaction anyway.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 07, 2013, 01:42:06 pm by Nudga »
You could also get a woodburning stove installed by Apollo heatsource and save between £200 and £300 a year on your gas bills.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 07, 2013, 01:45:22 pm by MrFrost »
And also, the cheapest energy tariff isn't always the best tariff to be on, especially if you are thinking long term.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 07, 2013, 02:42:45 pm by mjdgreg »
And also, the cheapest energy tariff isn't always the best tariff to be on, especially if you are thinking long term.

Agreed. I prefer to be fixed for at least a year. I also get 'free' central heating boiler cover with my current deal that ends in Jan 2014. The energy club does give you all the options.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 07, 2013, 02:54:10 pm by MrFrost »

Agreed. I prefer to be fixed for at least a year. I also get 'free' central heating boiler cover with my current deal that ends in Jan 2014. The energy club does give you all the options.

Which is why Cameron's pledge to make sure energy companies put all their customers on the cheapest tariff will never work.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 07, 2013, 03:34:43 pm by mjdgreg »
Which is why Cameron's pledge to make sure energy companies put all their customers on the cheapest tariff will never work.

All that would happen is that the people who can't be bothered to change for a better deal will be a little bit better off and the 'changers' will lose out as all the best deals will be pulled. At the moment us 'changers' are getting our deals subsidised by the 'non-changers'. Quite right too.

I'd also like to thank all those of you who haven't bought your solar panels for subsidising a nice little earner for me on my solar panels for 25 years. Thanks Ed Milliband, you did a great job bringing in that scheme you numpty.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:24:51 pm by mjdgreg »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 07, 2013, 07:23:53 pm by wilts rover »
You could also get a woodburning stove installed by Apollo heatsource FBS flues and save between £200 and £300 a year on your gas bills. Having mine installed next Friday - £1200 for stove and installation, can I have a discount for the advertising please?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 08, 2013, 01:28:59 am by RobTheRover »
How much?????

You need to be having a word with our Nudga there, wilts.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 08, 2013, 07:04:12 am by Muttley »
Surely the easiest way to save money on your gas and electricity bills is to not use as much in the first place?

Turn the heating down a couple of degrees, turn lights off, only boil as much water as you need for your cuppa, share a bath with your loved one...

Makes more sense to me than chasing round every couple of months for the next "killer" deal.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 08, 2013, 09:55:41 am by mjdgreg »
Surely the easiest way to save money on your gas and electricity bills is to not use as much in the first place?

Turn the heating down a couple of degrees, turn lights off, only boil as much water as you need for your cuppa, share a bath with your loved one...

Makes more sense to me than chasing round every couple of months for the next "killer" deal.

You should be doing that as well. However I would be grateful if you could keep paying through the nose as you will continue to subsidise the best deals for us 'changers'. Gratitude.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 08, 2013, 11:52:59 am by MrFrost »

You should be doing that as well. However I would be grateful if you could keep paying through the nose as you will continue to subsidise the best deals for us 'changers'. Gratitude.

That isn't how energy companies decide their prices. I've worked in the industry long enough.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 08, 2013, 12:09:28 pm by mjdgreg »
How do they do it then?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 08, 2013, 05:03:06 pm by Nudga »
How much?????

You need to be having a word with our Nudga there, wilts.

Depends what he's having done Rob and also what type of stove.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 11, 2013, 12:12:06 am by silent majority »
Well the stove I had installed by Apollo last year has been fantastic this year, not only warm and cosy but pretty romantic too!! Put another log on love!!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 11, 2013, 08:45:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »
How do they do it then?

You know everything, you tell us.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 11, 2013, 10:08:19 am by mjdgreg »
How do they do it then?

I will always change my mind if someone proves me wrong. Until that happens then this is how I see the energy market working in a nutshell.

According to a report I read on the BBC approximately 75% of people don't bother changing their suppliers to take advantage of the best deals. I think of these people as 'suckers'. So what the energy companies do is compete vigorously for the other 25% of the market for 'changers'.

The obvious strategy is to give the 'changers' as good a deal as they think they can to increase their market share. Then all they do is add onto the 'suckers' bills the cost of providing these extra incentives for the 'changers'.

It's a perfectly usual way for businesses to operate. My fear is that us 'changers' are not going to be getting such good deals in future because the government is trying to intervene to stop the 'suckers' paying as much as they should be.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 11, 2013, 10:27:19 am by MrFrost »
How do they do it then?

I will always change my mind if someone proves me wrong. Until that happens then this is how I see the energy market working in a nutshell.

According to a report I read on the BBC approximately 75% of people don't bother changing their suppliers to take advantage of the best deals. I think of these people as 'suckers'. So what the energy companies do is compete vigorously for the other 25% of the market for 'changers'.

The obvious strategy is to give the 'changers' as good a deal as they think they can to increase their market share. Then all they do is add onto the 'suckers' bills the cost of providing these extra incentives for the 'changers'.

It's a perfectly usual way for businesses to operate. My fear is that us 'changers' are not going to be getting such good deals in future because the government is trying to intervene to stop the 'suckers' paying as much as they should be.

Not true. Energy companies base their tariffs on several factors. Some may give you a reward to switch for them, but the prices of the tariff are generally higher. Some have started rewarding loyalty to stay with them. The energy company I have experience working with certainly do not care about whether people change to them or not, and are quite happy to be priced out by their competitors.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012