Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:49:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Flares and smoke bombs  (Read 3086 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Flares and smoke bombs
« on February 13, 2013, 11:22:21 pm by silent majority »
It has long been the culture for football fans throughout Europe to employ pyrotechnics at matches, so much so that the Germans have united against the authorities to recognise this as fan culture, an action that has seen increasing tension.

Unfortunately this is not the case in the UK. I was concerned when I saw the flare go off at the Bury game recently that some Rovers fan may have been high spirited enough to have done this and unwittingly got himself into a lot of trouble. Fortunately that was not the case.

In the FSF we have handled several cases this season where fans have attempted to smuggle smoke bombs and flares into the ground. A word of warning though, we have managed to help get the punishment reduced but the judiciary seem to be hell bent on ensuring this doesn't gain ground in this country. Even a simple attempt to smuggle something into the ground will find the culprit serving a prison sentence and a very lengthy banning order, in itself an extreme punishment.

Here's an example of one we dealt with recently, the Chelsea fans got a months imprisonment and a 6 year banning order. I don't intend to preach, and we will always stand by any Rovers fan who gets involved, but it will be much easier if we never have to become involved in the first place.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/swanseacityfc/swansea-city-fc/2013/02/13/91466-32802408/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Flares and smoke bombs
« Reply #1 on February 13, 2013, 11:34:39 pm by BobG »
Pity SM :) Always did like the idea of swapping flaming missiles across the greensward. 

Actually, it's not so much the up an at 'em missiles I fancy as them funny things the Ities go in for that let off clouds and clouds of red smoke. I guess they're the smoke bombs you discussed? Rather like them mesen.

BobG

PS Tell you what. How about something a little less inflammatory? If Rob persists with his anti ref crusade and we all get bored watching the inept hoops, we could all bring along a little bitty whistle. We did that once during that horrible, horrible season. Didn't go off as well as it did when the Seagulls did it - but it was fun (And their idea too btw).

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:36:43 pm by BobG »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 13, 2013, 11:43:02 pm by silent majority »
I know what you mean Bob, I quite like them myself! I've been in many a foreign ground following England and they do add to the atmosphere, one or two in Croatia, Moscow and other places spring to mind.

Whistles are OK, but do you remember the old wooden rattles we used to make in school when we were kids? Try taking one of them into a ground today!! Offensive weapon?, no officer, I just made it in woodwork class! OK, in you come!!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 13, 2013, 11:46:48 pm by MrFrost »
I see Rotherham fans set a few off at Burton on Saturday.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 13, 2013, 11:49:40 pm by silent majority »
I see Rotherham fans set a few off at Burton on Saturday.

It's becoming very common this season Mr Frost, but the punishment is really severe. Not worth it in my opinion.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2013, 12:21:04 am by BobG »
Lol! I had one of those rattles once.  Daft things really. But sweet too I suppose if you're 10 years sold. wonder what would happen nowadays if you took a klaxon into a ground? Did that in the bad old days too....

BobG

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2013, 12:22:04 am by RoversAlias »
Can't say I'm a fan of flares. What purpose do they serve? They can be dangerous too, I'd rather not be surrounded by smoke when trying to enjoy a match either..

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2013, 12:40:02 am by ScillyRover »
I had a huge late first world war ' Air raid warning' rattle that I used to take to Belle Vue when I was a kid. As loud as hell it was, used to deafen everyone (and annoy) those stood at the side of me alongside the perimiter wall around the pitch. I guess todays equivalent would be something like an exocet missile !

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2013, 12:57:11 am by newyankee »
Had one of those myself Scilly, they were great, the players alweays knew they were doing well when the rattles started. Mine was a big one for a young kid, painted red and white, I've no idea where it came from or where it went but I really enjoyed swinging it round at Belle Vue.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2013, 09:27:30 am by Glyn_Wigley »
If they allow flares in grounds you just know that some of the chavvy berks that go to matches and want to look big will try it with fireworks because they're cheaper...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 28, 2013, 06:52:35 pm by silent majority »
I came across this article earlier today, a solicitors take on the use of flares, smoke bombs and fireworks in a football ground, just reinforces what I said earlier;

http://alisongurden.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/smoke-bombs-flares-and-football-matches-likely-arrest-prison-and-a-football-banning-order/

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 28, 2013, 08:16:56 pm by RobTheRover »
I take it that the idiot copper who actually let the thing off and the steward who brought it into the ground (after taking it off some kids outside, not Rovers fans it should be said) are both relaxing at her Majesty's pleasure now?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 28, 2013, 08:50:13 pm by The L J Monk »
Corinthians ordered to play behind closed doors after flare kills boy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/21/bolivian-boy-killed-flare-corinthians

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 01, 2013, 09:20:30 pm by scuzzer »
If they allow flares in grounds you just know that some of the chavvy berks that go to matches and want to look big will try it with fireworks because they're cheaper...
Got to say from my view of it at Bury, it was more of a cheap rocket type firework than a flare, I was gobsmacked at the time and amazed the local constabulary didn't pick it up on CCTV and make a heavy handed example of the daft culprit!

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 01, 2013, 09:27:39 pm by StocktonRover »
Got to say from my view of it at Bury, it was more of a cheap rocket type firework than a flare, I was gobsmacked at the time and amazed the local constabulary didn't pick it up on CCTV and make a heavy handed example of the daft culprit!
The daft culprit was one of the constabularies finest - I was just passing him as he accidently set it off.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 01, 2013, 09:52:21 pm by Capmeister »
Fecking Hell..........it'll be vuvuzalas next!!!! Had enough of them in SA. Would av happily rammed them firmly up the users arse. Strangely no one blew them outside of the venues. I wonder why!!!!!! ;o)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 02, 2013, 10:43:07 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Can't see what the fuss is.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwHfjmUC9Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwHfjmUC9Q</a>
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:02:19 am by Bristol Red Rover »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 02, 2013, 10:54:45 am by Filo »
Can't see what the fuss is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwHfjmUC9Q

I don`t think any of them are following the Firework Code, some one will get some nasty burns if they`re not careful! :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012