Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:03:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Early 80's match programme  (Read 2657 times)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
Early 80's match programme
« on February 22, 2013, 11:24:32 pm by rover-n-out »
A mate of mine gave me a Rovers matchday programme from 13th. Feb. 1982 against Chester in FLge 3. It's in mint condition with the front cover picture being Ian Snodin (I think).

Reading Bremners notes, it's interesting to note he had the same problems with lack of funds to strengthen the team as we do even today.

I also wondered if any of the directors were still around today, or involved with or came to see the Rovers. Tony Phillips, Bernie Boldry, Jim Burke, Ken Jackson, Graham Smith all listed as directors along with J C Morris (President) Ian Jones (Chairman) and Hubert Bates (Vice Chairman). Be interesting to know what happened to them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Early 80's match programme
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2013, 12:35:45 am by BobG »
Well Hubert Bates, for one, can rot in hell. A dreadful man. Mean minded, mean spirited and plain bigoted too. He was one of the instigators behind the departure of Peter Doherty. My old Dad used to positively snarl whenever Hubert's name cropped up.

Ian Jones was, and maybe still is, a solicitor at the top of Bennethorpe somewhere. He almost got us to be a good club. He was making a good name for himself in FL circles too.  And then he plain disappeared. No idea why. Never heard of him in a football sense since.

Jim Burke ran a pub. Out Austerfield way. Can't remember the name of it now. Big barn of a place - modern. Pleasant chap in a low brow, somewhat corpulent way - but not much behind him really. Or, except for his stomach, in front of him either tbh. It's probably completely untrue but he always reminded me of a Del Boy type character.

Cheers

BobG
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:39:15 am by BobG »

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2013, 01:02:07 am by newyankee »
Burke started out with a cafe in Hallgate, I used to deal with him wnen I was at the MMB.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2013, 09:01:42 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Ian Jones was the Jones in Attey Bower & Jones.  He was senior partner there at least as recently as 6 years ago.  Well out of it before the shit has hit the fan there this week and Atteys went into Admin

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 23, 2013, 09:06:42 am by roversdude »
Ian Jones was a really top bloke
Have I missed something have Atteys gone into admin ?

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 23, 2013, 09:11:36 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Yes. Last week

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 23, 2013, 09:37:52 am by hoolahoop »
Yes. Last week

Shame I know Hazel Attey well , she lost her husband a few years back and now spends half the year in Provence I think. I'm surprised they've gone down there always seem to be a fair bit of money sloshing about.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 23, 2013, 09:39:20 am by Filo »
Yes. Last week

Shame I know Hazel Attey well , she lost her husband a few years back and now spends half the year in Provence I think. I'm surprised they've gone down there always seem to be a fair bit of money sloshing about.

I don`t think any of the founding partners had anything to do with the company in recent years

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 23, 2013, 09:45:35 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
I always got on with David Attey when I worked in Doncaster. Nice bloke. Bower was a District Judge. Neither of them had been involved with the firm for more than 15 years

It's probably not the end for Atteys. Another firm will buy them out on a pre-pack, I'm sure. They have the client base. Otherwise there will be 140 people out of work

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 23, 2013, 09:50:22 am by The Red Baron »
Well Hubert Bates, for one, can rot in hell. A dreadful man. Mean minded, mean spirited and plain bigoted too. He was one of the instigators behind the departure of Peter Doherty. My old Dad used to positively snarl whenever Hubert's name cropped up.

Ian Jones was, and maybe still is, a solicitor at the top of Bennethorpe somewhere. He almost got us to be a good club. He was making a good name for himself in FL circles too.  And then he plain disappeared. No idea why. Never heard of him in a football sense since.

Jim Burke ran a pub. Out Austerfield way. Can't remember the name of it now. Big barn of a place - modern. Pleasant chap in a low brow, somewhat corpulent way - but not much behind him really. Or, except for his stomach, in front of him either tbh. It's probably completely untrue but he always reminded me of a Del Boy type character.

Cheers

BobG

Bob- agree about Hubert Bates. He cast a long shadow over Rovers and it is no coincidence that from the time he ousted Peter Doherty to the time he finally left the Board that Rovers enjoyed little success.

I met both Ian Jones and Jim Burke. Both clearly had the best interests of Rovers at heart, but their problem was that neither had a lot of money. This was in an era when clubs could no longer survive on what they brought in through the gate and needed other funding. Things changed, of course, soon after when Peter Wetzel joined the board.

From memory, Jim Burke was the chairman at the time Richardson/ Dinard took over. I wonder if he realised what a mistake he'd made letting those vultures get control of DRFC?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 23, 2013, 09:51:45 am by hoolahoop »
Yes. Last week

I don`t think any of the founding partners had anything to do with the company in recent years

No they 'shipped out' a good few years ago, however she is loaded and I seem to think that she still had some sort of shareholding in the business albeit on a minor basis. That company has been around a long time and it shows that even the strongest businesses in what is normally a fairly safe industry can collapse.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 23, 2013, 10:03:48 am by hoolahoop »

Cheers

BobG

Bob- agree about Hubert Bates. He cast a long shadow over Rovers and it is no coincidence that from the time he ousted Peter Doherty to the time he finally left the Board that Rovers enjoyed little success.

I met both Ian Jones and Jim Burke. Both clearly had the best interests of Rovers at heart, but their problem was that neither had a lot of money. This was in an era when clubs could no longer survive on what they brought in through the gate and needed other funding. Things changed, of course, soon after when Peter Wetzel joined the board.

From memory, Jim Burke was the chairman at the time Richardson/ Dinard took over. I wonder if he realised what a mistake he'd made letting those vultures get control of DRFC?

Tbf I doubt he had little choice as things were at the time. However businessmen do have the ability to suss somone out and Richardson (spit) should have been obvious to many at the time although many of our supporters got it wrong  including me. I thought we were going to have a bright new dawn............how wrong I was!! :(

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 23, 2013, 10:10:25 am by roversdude »
I think the way he screwed Brid over was a fair warning

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 23, 2013, 10:12:07 am by Filo »
Frightening is n`t it, we ended up with Number 1 and nearly ended up with Number 3 on the notorious owners list

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/owners/notorious_british.htm

Eventually we ended up with Number 2 on the decent owners list

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/owners/best_british.htm

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 23, 2013, 10:49:24 am by graingrover »
BATES did serious damage in the era we were in the old second Division by completely alienating Peter Doherty who left for Bristol City and took Bert Tindill our talsman with him. We declined at a rapid rate as all our Irish contingent depared and we were condemnd   to spend decades in the lower divisions as we all know,

TinyPortal © 2005-2012